Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valentines Day to April 18th

@Bobbinyc, I hope it's ok for me to plagerize your Christmas to Valentine's Day Topic Starter but it was absolutely perfect!!!

Welcome all Challengers!  What an amazing group we have!

Let's all continue together to take off the excess pounds and keep getting healthier.

This challenge will begin on Valentine's Day and finish on (American) Tax Day - 18 April 2017.   (Really!  It's the 18th this Year, not the 15th!)

All you need to join this challenge is to post your stats regarding your weight, and check in weekly or as often as you'd like. We are a great support group and enjoy keeping up with each other and being there for our ups and downs.  Generally we have found that the more we check in and offer support, tips, info,  and ideas to others, the more we get for ourselves.

We list our weight, as well as any other goals we might have related to being healthy (such as increase water, more active minutes, etc).  Developing good health habits is primary.

A little rundown of terminology for anyone who is new.

USW- Ultimate Starting Weight

CSW- Current Starting Weight (for this challenge)

GW- Goal Weight   (for Feb 14)

UGW- Ultimate Goal Weight   (what your healthy target weight is)

PW- Previous Weight

CW- Current Weight

MFP- My Fitness Pal

List as much info as you like.  Some people include age, gender, height....whatever seems relevant to you.

We keep it as serious or light as we feel, but we always keep it focused on being as healthy as possible, while we support each other kindly.  We can do this together!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer
926 REPLIES 926

@terryrunning

Wow thanks for the birthday note and the gift of generosity.  

Just read it now many days later.

Keep up your good progress. 

Barbara G

Best Answer

@DJC_63 it is so frustrating!  I weighed myself this morning and I am 2 pounds heavier than yesterday which is not the plan at all.....grrrr.  I am hoping it is water weight from the pizza (and the vast amount of small bowls of snacks I consumed in a fit of frustration yesterday).  Today is another day and I will take it hour by hour.  I normally do really well through the day - it;s the evening when I can't stop myself.

@SunsetRunner - congratulations on a super impressive weight loss!  Well done!

Best Answer

Nora and I had a nice outing this morning and got in our 5 miles and she made a new friend and played off leash for the first time. I felt like we were isolated enough and the other owner was so into letting the kids play that it was safe. She had a blast and broke play and came as soon as called so I feel quite proud of her.Went to my Dr. this week and used her scales so here's the weight so far while on this drug that clings to every calorie while it heals me.

USW 3/27/17  130

CSW 4/06/17  127

CW   4/13/17   121

UGW 105-107

My Dr. was thrilled that I'm fighting so hard because this is causing so many other problems that it has to go. For some reason my Charge HR has to be charged every 2 days now and I've tried every cleaning, resetting trick I can think of so I may have to go back to my flex. Frustrating.

Best Answer

Went out last night to see a band at a pub and did I EVER have fun! Had a few beer and danced (!!!). For anyone who wasn't around these challenges in December, I danced then for the first time since I was about 18 yrs old (30 yrs ago). It was a shocker to myself. I'm a shy wallflower normally.  A couple of drunk ladies were pulling people up to dance last night and they grabbed me and the song was "I feel good" and I said I'd lost a lot of weight and I do feel good. I got some high-5's and one of the pair said she'd lost 50lb on weight watchers. She's really really struggling though. She kept repeating that it was so hard. I went into full _Lilac mode and comforted her and gave her my email so she could keep in touch and we'd support each other. She was beating herself up really badly for having some drinks because it was off the plan. I could tell she needed the break and to have fun, though. 

Went to Mom's for lunch. She had her South beach diet book on the coffee table facing my chair. Ok, Mom. I know. She'd given me a copy before but she's forgotten. I mentioned to her that I'd been unusually hungry the last few days and the first thing she said was that if she eats bread or carby stuff it makes her hungry. Well, what she doesn't know is that the last few days I've reduced carbs (not completely because I don't think it's a great idea since we need some balance), and that I've been starving only since I reduced them. What I have noticed was that the big water retention fluctuation I normally would get has stabilized...no big 4-5 lb differences in short time frames. But...I'm hungry. Real hunger. So, it might work for her that way, but it's going to fail me because there's no sense fighting deep hunger and ultimately failing because you just can't stand it anymore and eat and eat and eat. In the past she'd follow her diet then break down and have stuff she shouldn't then beat herself up. My way, I just go along steady all the time and never have those problems. So...I'm just gonna be careful about the refined sugars and motor on with what I know I can and can't eat. 

Haven't got a lot of steps yet today, especially not in a good consistant fast-paced walk. I'll take the boys out in a bit for that. Along with the hunger, I've been a little low energy, so it takes more effort to get out there. 

Alright, going for a snack and a drink. Have a great day all. Glad to have you back, @dancefoxtrot . Has anyone heard from @terryrunning  yet??

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

@Nora58 I found my Blaze needed more charging if I had it set for the screen to turn on if I turned my wrist as though I was going to look at it. Not sure if the Charge HR does the same action. Also, it might need more charging if you have it set to constantly transfer the info to the app/site. I hope you find the problem.

Best Answer

@Ava_

Nighttime is the hardest time for me to say no to myself as well.  Have you tried writing about it when the urges arise?  Maybe ask what am I really hungry for that is emotional? Sometimes it is anxiety, depression, stress, anger that we try to cover up with food.  What do I really want or need now?  Drink a large glass or 2 of water or herbal tea and listen to yourself. 

The 2 lbs will leave you again but finding the true reasons for late night eating will help u understand your needs and dilemmas.  

You can do this deeper work.

Best,

Barbara G

Best Answer

Hi all,

Just 3 days more to our goal date.  Hopefully we have moved in the right direction to approach our goal. Hopefully we learn more about ourselves and the process of letting go and choosing health.

143.6 this Morning 4/15 so another lb to make my 142 goal but hey I'm closer to my UGW of 135-137 so I'm feeling positive about the direction. Soon I'll enter the tricky maintenance stage that I blew the last time and bounced up to 151 oh so easily. 

Last 3 days count so best of wishes for staying strong and burning up those fat cells. 

Should we go for Memorial Day next challenge ? 

Go team go,

Barbara G

Best Answer

@DJC_63. Sorry to hear your having so much pain. Hope you feel better soon. 

Best Answer

USW - 363 (3/9/16)

Valentine's Day Weight 259

Sunday1 - 257 (02/19) 257.5 Target
  Sunday2 - 256  (02/26) 256.0 Target
  Sunday3 - 253  (03/05) 254.5 Target
  Sunday4 - 253  (03/12) 253.0 Target
  Sunday5 - 251  (03/19) 251.5 Target
  Sunday6 - 248  (03/26) 250.0 Target
  Sunday7 - 248  (04/02) 248.5 Target
  Sunday8 - 258  (04/09) 247.0 Target

Easter Day Weight - 249
Easter Day Goal - 246

This challenge has been one big roller coaster. I think the last residual of cabin fever melted away this week and I am so ready for the spring/summer.  Have a good day everyone.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

@_Lilac_, it doesn't sound at all stupid when you say, "Yes, I know..that sounds stupid [because your Boobs extend beyond your Belly] …" (Page 42, #836)!  It's awesome every time you see a recognizable SIGN of your Weight Loss!!!  I can remember how excited I was when I could actually see my Feet without having to bend over!!  Now, I keep getting emotionally excited because I've discovered that I really do have Bones.  Shoulder Bones, a Backbone, a Rib Cage, even a Chin!  They've always been there but there was so much fat over them that you couldn't really feel them.  Now, they're hard!  I even have Valleys around my Neck instead of Hills!

No, it's NOT stupid at all!  And there will be many more to come!!  So instead of feeling that they're stupid, hold them high as a Victory Banner!!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

I totally underatand.  If I could figure out what to eat in the evening besides fattening things I know I would have better success.  Any ideas?  I don't do salty things but sweet is my downfall.

Best Answer

I must confess that I'm a slob. Well, maybe not a complete one, because it's been better since the kids have grown and are out, but I'm not the best housekeeper. I have joked in the past that it's the dirt and dust holding my house together. So, I am having two wisdom teeth out tomorrow, under general anaesthetic, which means that someone has to stay with me probably overnight at home. Mom offered. Mom is NOT a slob. Mom has an immaculate house and nothing is ever out of place. I've been more worried about cleaning my house to prepare for her visit than I am about the darned procedure in the morning! I haven't got many steps, just one walk with the dogs but it was drizzling and we were miserable so we did one block and returned home. I have done laundry, scrubbed my bathroom, scrubbed my kitchen, put seeds in the bird feeder in the yard, etc but it just isn't producing steps. I might have to get on the treadmill later. Food is good today but I haven't thought about what I should have prepared ahead of time for the inability to chew and eat much solids tomorrow. I have yogurts and a jello, cottage cheese and I'm sure mom can come up with something for me. She's a soup master. 

Ok, back to tidying up. Sigh. I wish I'd inherited her cleaning genes.

Best Answer

No not constantly checking it and have cut off all thing that are auto . I only have it on the laptop not my phone so I sync it each time I come in from a walk/run. I don't mind charging it every 2 days , it's just that it used to last for 5 days like my flex. I'll keep working on it and maybe it will go back to it's happy self or I'll give customer service a call. We took the day off today , Nora has knee issues and I think she just wanted a day at home without a pain pill and I have been at church everyday and night this week (Catholic) so she just wanted alone time (separation anxiety)with mom. Got a lot done while she has been sleeping today. Won't sleep or eat if I'm gone so she has had a rough time but I think the runs and walks help us get through it. Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter.

Best Answer

@_Lilac_- like you, I have not inherited the neat/tidy gene from my mother.  I do have to muck in and tidy up today and tomorrow (day off) before it becomes time for the outside work!

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

@dancefoxtrot I love the idea of going until Memorial Day for the next challenge! After a longer challenge this time, one that's just under 6 weeks would be nice.

Best Answer

@BLLingg - that is so recognizable!  I still remember the time I was in the shower when I felt something odd - it turned out to be my collarbone! 🙂 

@dancefoxtrot - I think it is stress and frustration eating combined with a self-destruct button!   It's all or nothing with me, so at the beginning of the year, I was super strict - met my steps each day, logged like an insane person, met the water quota each day, and hey presto - I lost weight at a good, even rate.  

Then I started logging less, having a cheat day here and there and it all slowed down.  I got frustrated, decided I had plateaued (when I have weight loss still to go) and it started to creep back up.  Instead of returning to the behaviour of early in the year, I have let it slide even more.

I am ashamed to say I gorged myself yesterday Easter eggs, chips and a full dinner.  I don't even dar go near the scales today.

I plan to have a fast day today and drink enough water to flush as much out as possible and then head to the scales with a great deal of despair for Tuesday.

But after that - its back to the logging every day, and meeting my water/calorie/step quota and quit messing around and get this done.  I am so annoyed at myself, but heading to the kitchen is not the answer.

Best Answer

Memorial Day sounds good to me, @dancefoxtrot

I'll have been unable to accurately log my Food and Weight for 7 Days (Depart 05/13 - Return 05/22) while in Europe, but that will give me an additional motivation to try to dine smart!!!  (Prayers for Self-Control will be appreciated!!!)  I'm hoping I won't have any problems getting my Steps in since neither my Mom nor my Sister walk as much as I do.  I'll have to try to fit some in while they're still sleeping.  Although I'm going to lose my Early Morning advantage while I'm over there since my normal start time around Midnight is the same as 08:00 there.  Hmmm.  What to do, what to do.

Best Answer

Thank you, @A_Lurker & @_Lilac_!  It's so nice to know that I'm not the only Slob!!!  As they say, Misery loves company.  And I often look around me and feel miserable that I can't seem to motivate to keep my Home as nice as the Home my Mother did!!!  You'd think that that would motivate me.  But it doesn't.  Smiley Sad

Best Answer

Same Roller Coaster.  Highest this Week was 157 on Thursday, lowest was 153.8 on Sunday.  (I earned my Hiking Boot (35K Steps) on Saturday.  Was in the MS 5K Walkathon in Portland and by the time it was over, I was only about 4,000 Steps short of that Badge so I kept going until I had it.  Walked until the Rest of our Team made it to the Finish Line then "Mall Walked" at our Local Grocery Store.)  I'm sure I was dehydrated after that, hence the too low reading on Sunday.

I'm happy because I'm still under Goal.  But I also depressed because I'm not losing the 1.8# per Week that I should be losing based upon intake vs Calories burned.  And I really really want to be down to 150 so that I can go out and get some new Clothes for my trip!

28 July 2010 - PW - 280.8  BMI 51.4  (My highest known.)
06 June 2016 - USW (in FitBit) - 216  BMI 39.5

14 Feb - CSW 173.0  BMI 31.6
20 Feb - GW 171.4 - PW 171.0   (-2.0)  BMI 31.0
27 Feb - GW 169.6 - PW 168.2  (-2.8)  BMI 30.8
06 Mar - GW 167.8 - PW 163.8  (-4.4)  BMI 30.0
13 Mar - GW 166.0 - PW 165.8  (+2.0)  BMI  30.3
20 Mar - GW 164.2 - PW 160.8  (-5.0)  BMI 29.4
27 Mar - GW 162.4 - PW 160.8  N/C  BMI 29.4
03 Apr - GW 160.6 - PW 156.8  (-4.0)  BMI 28.7
10 Apr - GW 158.8 - PW 156.6  (-0.2)  BMI 28.6
17 Apr - GW 157.0 - CW 156.4  (-0.2)   BMI 28.6
18 Apr - GW 156.7

13 May - 1st UGW - (but still not a "Healthy" BMI) - 150

Best Answer

@_Lilac_ screeches into the room....**drum roll**....TADA *trumpets blaring* ....even the bagpipes have taken up the chorus....

Phew!Phew!

Lowest weight in 18 years and I've even been as high as 380lb. I know it's not every day that someone celebrates being 298.8 pounds, but in this case it's a very good thing. My goal was 295 for this challenge but heck, this is good enough for me! It's not always about those pesky numbers. It's about achievement and how you feel about yourself. 

Best Answer