Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valentines Day to April 18th

@Bobbinyc, I hope it's ok for me to plagerize your Christmas to Valentine's Day Topic Starter but it was absolutely perfect!!!

Welcome all Challengers!  What an amazing group we have!

Let's all continue together to take off the excess pounds and keep getting healthier.

This challenge will begin on Valentine's Day and finish on (American) Tax Day - 18 April 2017.   (Really!  It's the 18th this Year, not the 15th!)

All you need to join this challenge is to post your stats regarding your weight, and check in weekly or as often as you'd like. We are a great support group and enjoy keeping up with each other and being there for our ups and downs.  Generally we have found that the more we check in and offer support, tips, info,  and ideas to others, the more we get for ourselves.

We list our weight, as well as any other goals we might have related to being healthy (such as increase water, more active minutes, etc).  Developing good health habits is primary.

A little rundown of terminology for anyone who is new.

USW- Ultimate Starting Weight

CSW- Current Starting Weight (for this challenge)

GW- Goal Weight   (for Feb 14)

UGW- Ultimate Goal Weight   (what your healthy target weight is)

PW- Previous Weight

CW- Current Weight

MFP- My Fitness Pal

List as much info as you like.  Some people include age, gender, height....whatever seems relevant to you.

We keep it as serious or light as we feel, but we always keep it focused on being as healthy as possible, while we support each other kindly.  We can do this together!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer
926 REPLIES 926

USW 132.6

CW 131.6

I'm 5'0, and turning 64 this week. Finally got thyroid medicine corrected and lost a pound! Doc pointed out that the Metagenics protein powder which my chiro recommended has cane sugar as 4th ingredient. I switched to Paleo protein. It works better, after a workout. Weather is improving for outside walks.

Best Answer

USW- 231

CSW- 210.0

GW- 200

UGW- 135

PW- 211.8

CW- 210.0

CW - 209.4 (2/23)

MFP- cherylwith5@gmail.com

Best Answer

was noticing BMI comments.  Haven't checked mine since I was listed M obese. 

so now i'm 27.9

A healthy BMI score is between 20 and 25.

getting there!!!   Actually have had 5 days in a row (first time every) at meeting my step and calorie goals.. today is getting harder though,  not sure if i'll have time to get all the steps in...

Gonna do my weigh in on "fat Tuesday"  Woman Wink   and get set for Lent and hopefully staying true to my goals.

Have a great week all.

Best Answer

Feeling a tad more positive today. The scale is moving in the right direction and I am so hoping it keeps moving. I am 2 for 2 of my 7 day self challenge to get my 10,000 steps in. This morning turned out good for me.. I ended up with a 58 minute walk before work this morning(super excited) So it is almost 11 am here and I already have 6300 steps in.. I still have to get 6 of my 10 hours to get my 250 steps.. So going to have to work hard on it...lol. We are in a smaller office today so not much room to walk around with out a reason...lol. I will try hard to make this work. !!!

@A_LurkerI am excited to work toward a newer fit bit. I would LOVE to have a waterproof one. It is like my weight loss...lol, a goal I have. I would love to have one with the reminder to move..lol. That is something that I get so aggravated at when I miss the hourly step because I got busy and didn't think of it. If I had that reminder I would make sure to get up...lol. BUT, I will have one sometime in the future...lol.  I really appreciate all the info on the ones you had/have! I think the fit bit is an awesome thing. I honestly do not think I would have done as well with out one. It is like challenging yourself daily,... lol

Well It has taken me forever due to distractions..lol to finish this message, so I have another one of steps down...lol. I am sure there is more I was going to say or comment on, but I better get to work..lol Only a few minutes and I will have to get another hour of steps in....lol.

Hope you all have a wonderful day! Prayers for my grandson... I think he may have an ear infection.. So its off to the Dr this afternoon.

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

@HeartBiller  My charge 2 buzzes me at 10 to each hour to get my 250 steps in. On sale they cost $129.00 but it is an investment in being healthy so hopefully you can save up for one.  It was my Christmas present to myself. Very helpful indeed.

Glad you are moving in the right direction.  Hope you  grandson heals well.

Barb G

Best Answer

@Linda17

Smart doctor to pick up the sugar.  So many cereals have it as 2 or 3rd ingredient which makes it a dessert.! 

Barb G

Best Answer
even more so for a protein powder! We take that for support in weight loss
and building muscle. There is no reason for especially *cane* sugar.
Certain doctors and chiropractors are paid to promote certain products that
may not be in your best interest, especially that protein powder from
Metagenics. The one from "Paleo protein" is a better formula.
Best Answer

I woke up late at 9am, took the dogs for a 43 min walk, came in for breakfast, went out to get a bus pass, to the craft store, back home. Forgot to have lunch! 8300 steps in. Still have to take the boys out for their second walk later so I'll hit my goal today. I need to eat, need to relax. Still sore but the more I move, the less achy I am. It's the stopping and starting up again that hurts so much!

My house is a disaster!!! I've been out every day and I need to clean. That's my plan for the evening. Cook, eat, clean, dogs, etc. 

It's so warm today I wore a very light jacket. People were wearing just t-shirts out. Ok, I know you southerners will balk at this, but it's *drum roll* 43F/6C. It feels so nice! The problem with stuff melting is that it's messy. Dirt, mud, puddles...everything running everywhere. I had to give my short dog a quick bath earlier...he was a mess.

Hope everyone is having an amazing day! The sunshine has been a welcome blessing today. Gives a person energy and a more cheery outlook. 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

@Linda17 Good to know about the sugar in protein drinks.  We really do need to read every label so carefully.  When I did the sugar free week, I was amazed at the products that listed several chemical versions of sugar and then listed cane sugar. 

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

@HeartBiller I use the alarm on my phone both for getting the blood flow when I'm stuck at the desk, and for getting some water, which I tend to forget.

Best Answer

@dancefoxtrot  How is the logging going?

Best Answer

I'm a little late to this party but better a week late than none at all!

My primary issue right now is getting in exercise when I am dealing with a very painful plantar fasciitis flareup 😞 . I had a pretty stagnant February but am trying to eat healthier and do more yoga/pilates at home in March! It sucks because I really love running and dance, but those aren't options right now.

I also am a recovered anorexic—I was very underweight and ill in college (10 years ago) and over the years after recovery I gained a lot of weight and for a long time was afraid to try to lose it because I had never done so in a healthy way. But it's been 3 months now and so far I'm actually doing this in a reasonable way! 💪  I'm pretty proud of that.

Also, I don't have many IRL friends who are active FitBit users so am always happy to become friends for challenges and stuff here! 

F, 30 years old, 5'9"

USW- 199 (on Jan 1)
CSW- 188
GW for 4/18 - 175
UGW- 165

Best Answer

I haven't logged in a while and I'm also not doing much of anything at the moment.  Got an upper respitory infection and head cold or so I thought.  I went to Doctor and it is early stage bronchitis and acute sinusitis.  He wanted me out of work for 3 days but with boss in New Zealand, no can do since I am the only other person in office. Did take Wednesday off as doctor said I needed to go home and rest and been leaving work at 3 every other day.  Today feeling horrible so out of here at 1. Doctor going to put me on antibiotics at this point. Apparently there is some new thing that they cannot give you antibiotics till you have had this stuff for 7 days.  Did try the walking video at a slower pace but even that set me into coughing fits.  Lungs are not up to anything at the moment.  Could care less about food.  Can't taste anything anyway.  Dr's scale said I weighed 172.6, my scale said 163.  Not sure which one is wrong but my scale is old so I guess I will be looking for a new scale.  This morning it said 167.  Needless to say I will be starting at ground zero again once my lungs can handle me doing anything. 

Keep up the great work everyone. You all are doing a great job.  

Best Answer

@meg5168 Welcome to this great group.  Sorry to hear about your pf flareup.  Been there - no fun.  A good doc or PT who specializes in this - like a rehab doc or sports medicine can work wonders.  But there are no short cuts.

It's great that you are eating "in a reasonable way".  I think most of us get into emotional eating, or are in a big hurry, or make excuses...it's hard to just do the right thing for ourselves when it comes to our bodies and food.  

Keep posting, it really helps.

Best Answer

@Tybokitty  I don't know what part of the  world you are in, but here in the Mid Atlantic U.S., there is a virus that just won't quit.  I know people who have been very sick for over a month.   It seems to come and go and each time it comes back it's stronger.  I am fighting it off, so far.  Just take good care of yourself.  

Best Answer

@Bobbinyc I'm in Austin, Tx.  Of course weather here doesn't help either.  Tomorrow we will be in the low 60s. Today high 80s.  Yesterday almost 90. Can't make up its mind what it is going to do. One day we have the heat on, the next day air conditioning. 

Best Answer

@Tybokitty  Weather is crazy here too. It is supposed to be winter here - usually low 40sF.  Today it's in the 70s.  Bird migration, flowers, everything is off track.  NYTimes had an article about how these mild short winters don't destroy enough bugs or viruses, - a cause of virulent mosquitos and illnesses.  Great.    On the other hand, it's a good day for a walk.

Best Answer

Anyone have any suggestion for a good digital scale.  Not looking for an expensive one. I know some people have the aria and have had some problems with it. Not familiar with digital scales so I wouldn't know which one to get.  Thanks. 

Best Answer
Sorry to hear about your virus. Try to heal yourself naturally and not
through antibiotics. I am not anti- antibiotics, but think you should only
use them in very, very serious situations. Here in the US doctors prescribe
them for everything! Best thing I ever did was starting homeopathy, its a
financial and time investment as it needs to be used long term for results,
but fights the cause not symptoms. Focus on improving your immune system.

On another note - forgot to put on my Fitbit today! So disappointed as will
be doing a a lot of walking. 😞
Best Answer
Tyboykitty,
I do, I do! I just order the Weight Gurus Bluetooth scale ($60 on amazon)
and it has 4.5 stars from nearly 2k reviews! I actually ordered the Aria
first despite the not-so-great reviews because I love my fitbit and wanted
to support the company... but it wouldn't connect to my WiFi and it was
such a pain that I returned it and bought this scale for half the price.
Plus, it measures things the Aria does not like water percentage and muscle
mass.
And the best part? It syncs with the Fitbit app! So it would be my
suggestion for sure 🙂
Best Answer