Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to share a non-scale victory?

So, I've been reading and hearing a lot about people who are having a hard time getting the scale to move, so I thought it was time to start an NSV post. A non-scale victory is something that makes you feel like you're moving in the right direction, even if the scale isn't.

For instance... Yesterday, I climbed 53 flights of stairs! Seriously! I was so proud of myself—I rambled around the music school with my two youngest for the half hour we had before my oldest was done with his piano class, and I noticed when we got home that I had climbed 36 floors already that day (their tap class is on the third floor of one school and their brother's is on the second floor of the one across the street—and I had walked a few times up and down during their tap class as well).  So when I went to work out, I headed for the stairwell instead of the gym and started climbing.

Anyone else want to share an NSV and feel better? Just remember that sometimes, the scale ain't the important thing.

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

There's a park near my work that has this massive set of steep stone stairs up from the park entrance to the garden proper. My fitbit usually logs 12 sets of stairs doing them because there's so many and they're so steep.

Today, I got up those stairs without stopping for the first time. 

I was puffed and sweaty at the top, I took forever to do it.

But I didn't stop once. 

That's my (absolutely huge) non-scale victory for today. I can't wait to find tomorrow's one.

Best Answer

I have a pair of jeans that fit me perfectly when I bought them a few years ago. I mean, I loved this style so much, I bought it in several colors. Now I have to wear a belt with it. I can pull them on while they're buttoned and zipped, that's how loose they are. Just about all of my pants are very loose, even though they fit well when I first bought them.

And eight days ago I got over 28,000 steps and suffered no ill effects.

Best Answer

Woo hoo to all of you! That's so awesome!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

A few days ago, I logged my first run.  I wasn't fast, and it certainly wasn't a marathon, but I ran non-stop for eleven minutes.

For reference - I quit a 25 year smoking habit 5 years ago, and this may be the first time I've ever been able to run for more than 60 seconds without stopping for air.

That was a real "Rocky" moment for me - I actually teared up a little.  LOL!

Sunny - 45 - F - Virginia - Charge 2
Best Answer

@TravellingSunnyThat's awesome! I would of teared up as well

Kudos to you for quitting smoking. Best thing I ever did 10 years ago

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WendyB Thank you so much!  It was with an online community much like this one that helped me keep the quit.  I'm hoping to get more familiar with this online community so that I can use it for encouragement and accountability as I work towards a healthy BMI.

Best Answer

On vacation, I had to stop by Goodwill and buy a pair of jeans 2 sizes smaller than the ones I had with me. Twice my old jeans nearly fell down, and I hate belts. I really couldn't believe that a pair of skinny jeans not only fit me but looked good. I think I'll be a little sad when I shrink out of them. lol It can be hard for me to find jeans that fit my proportions. Usually, if they fit my hips and butt, they're HUGE in the waist and gape in the back. These fit like a glove.

Best Answer

I somehow found my "on" button for walking this week and been over 10K for 6 days in a row now! That is a huge record for me.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@FrogMysticThats awesome! Congrats

@EsyaYou did great this week! Woot!

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Hi Rachel;

Yesterday was back/core day, and I finally did my full planned core workout. For the last couple months I have been modifying it downwards due to muscle fatigue and not being able to finish.

I think the biggest contributing factor was I've been using the fitbit app to make sure I drink a minimum amount of water (the set goal) but aiming for a stretch goal, as well as eating more frequently in smaller meals (I feel bad when I record a 1k+ calorie meal).

I consider this a NSV as my core is my weakest area!

Best Answer

That's awesome @MusicalPolymath

Community Council Member

Best Answer

@WendyBjust wanted to say how awesome it is that you are so supportive of everyone!

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Thanks I love to hear successes 🙂

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

All of my pants are getting loose on me - but not enough to justify buying new clothes yet.  But, my BELT - now, that has to work.

I was on the LAST hole of my L/XL size belt.  Went to the store and bought a new belt in size S/M.  It's on the FIRST hole, but heck - I don't remember the last time I wore a size small ANYTHING.  This is crazy exciting for me!

Best Answer

The pants I wore to work today are literally falling off of me.  They are one of my favorite pairs.  When I went on my 10 minute 10 am walk this morning I had to hold them up with my right hand (so I could swing my left arm wearing the fitbit lol) or they were going to fall to my ankles.  🙂

Best Answer

@JennyRebecca wrote:

...I had to hold them up with my right hand (so I could swing my left arm wearing the fitbit lol...

PREACH!!! If the Fitbit isn't counting your steps, then there's not much point in walking.  😉

Best Answer

@TravellingSunny wrote:

PREACH!!! If the Fitbit isn't counting your steps, then there's not much point in walking.  😉

Word. I hate having to get up while my Fitbit is charging because there's no way I can add those steps in.

I was using a binder clip to hold up a very loose pair of exercise pants while I was doing my walking videos this morning.

Best Answer

@DanielleinDC - BAHAHAHAHA!  Using a binder clip... LOVE IT!   It may be annoying, but what a cool place to be in.  Your clothes are falling off of you.  YAY!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sometimes I use one of those compression belts, but it's far from perfect. I don't know if the elastic is shot or I am really losing the flab.

Best Answer
0 Votes