Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Weigh In

ANSWERED

I am weighing myself every Monday morning and I am going to log my results each weigh for accountability and support. Please feel free to join in.

Start weigh                   125.5 kg 14/12/2015

Now                              124.2 kg 11/01/2015

Loss this week             200g

Loss to date                 1.3kg

"Slow and steady wins the race"

Dance. Smile. Giggle. Marvel. TRUST. HOPE. LOVE. WISH. BELIEVE. Most of all, enjoy every moment of the journey, and appreciate where you are at this moment instead of focusing on how far you have to go.
Best Answer
2,723 REPLIES 2,723

I see your daily weigh-ins have been under 200 for a while @Daves_Not_Here, and it looks like you’ve managed enough of them to pull TrendWeight into ONEderland as well.  Congratulations — your body is responding well to Keto!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Baltoscott - really appreciate your support and encouragement!  I like how having this weekly weigh in provides a measure of accountability in an area that we cannot freely share with the others in our lives.

As to the keto, so far so good.  I like the effortless weight loss and other fringe benefits.  Once I hit and maintain my goal weight for awhile, I'll recap my experience in a post over in the "Live Mindfully" section.  By that time, I'll have my blood panel and maybe some downsides to report.  But for now, I feel like I have a new girlfriend.

You're right about the satisfaction of seeing a 1 versus a 2 on the scales.  200 was my first intermediate goal.  Now, I'm shooting for 180, which I would like to hit before 2018.  That would put me on the slopes 60 pounds lighter than last year, with slightly stronger legs and a higher VO2 max, which should help me keep up with my crazy 16 year-old son (I wonder where he got it).

Then to the toughest goal:  to achieve and maintain my target weight, as you have been doing.

Best Answer

Start:            253 lbs

Last Week:  124.4 lbs

This Week:  123.2 lbs

Change:       - 1.2 lbs

Total Loss:  - 129.8 lbs

Body Fat:    17% (as of 09/2017)

Goal :           transition to maintenance before starting a bulk cycle

Back from vacation! It was great to get away, but so nice to be back home.

Again, lost some weight during vacation. It's interesting because I didn't weigh my food. I still logged, but estimated portions. I went out to eat quite often and had foods that I eat very rarely (steak, rich desserts, good amount of alcohol, etc.). According to Fitbit, I was "over budget" many days. At this point I think it's safe to assume that Fitbit underestimates my caloric burn. I really need to stop losing, or I'll never get to bulk up! So, upping my calories again now that I am back to my routine and can better log caloric intake. At least the holidays are coming up, so I can enjoy myself without having to worry about weight. 

Best Answer

Start 128.5kg

Last weigh 115.2kg

This weigh 115.2kg

Shrinkage 13.3kg

Mini goal 115kg

Desired 70kg

No movement this week. Feeling fitter though and moving more. Its spring here and its good to get outdoors and do stuff.

Dance. Smile. Giggle. Marvel. TRUST. HOPE. LOVE. WISH. BELIEVE. Most of all, enjoy every moment of the journey, and appreciate where you are at this moment instead of focusing on how far you have to go.
Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Here wrote:

@Baltoscott - really appreciate your support and encouragement!  I like how having this weekly weigh in provides a measure of accountability in an area that we cannot freely share with the others in our lives.

As to the keto, so far so good.  I like the effortless weight loss and other fringe benefits.  Once I hit and maintain my goal weight for awhile, I'll recap my experience in a post over in the "Live Mindfully" section.  By that time, I'll have my blood panel and maybe some downsides to report.  But for now, I feel like I have a new girlfriend.

You're right about the satisfaction of seeing a 1 versus a 2 on the scales.  200 was my first intermediate goal.  Now, I'm shooting for 180, which I would like to hit before 2018.  That would put me on the slopes 60 pounds lighter than last year, with slightly stronger legs and a higher VO2 max, which should help me keep up with my crazy 16 year-old son (I wonder where he got it).

Then to the toughest goal:  to achieve and maintain my target weight, as you have been doing.

@Daves_Not_Here — you’ve mentioned getting an after weight loss blood panel before as a way of evaluating your Keto experience.  I like that idea, but I wonder how you sort out and attribute any improvements to new diet vs. weight loss.  Of course if the blood panel doesn’t improve after a 60 lbs weight loss that be a good reason to drop Keto. But I would think the numbers will improve by virtue of weight loss alone.  So here’s a thought — what if you get a blood panel now, and again at 180?  That would give you three data points.  The first would be when you were heavy and on a Standard American Diet (SAD), the second would change two variables (weight loss + Keto), and the third would change just one variable (more weight loss).  If no significant change from 195/200 to 180 while on Keto, you might be able to consider an occasional beer or two once you get to your goal weight and start to experiment with maintenance.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Here, I will be curious to see the results of your blood panel.  It has been my experience that eating keto/lchf do not actually adversely affect blood work.  I have eaten in the LCHF direction the last couple of years and have had two checkups in that time.  Both times my blood work has been excellent.  I am becoming increasingly convinced that dietary guides are heavily influenced by corporate lobyists, etc.  It seems that when we eat real food, our body handles it, weight comes off, blood pressure drops, diabetes risk disappears and cholesterol is good. 
Keep us posted, I'm curious.  I do find that I am trying to eat cleaner than before.  With my ponderance of going vegetarian/vegan I decided to start with removing processed meats from my diet.  While they don't cause weight gain, they aren't inherently as health as whole muscle protein or plant protein.   I haven't had bacon, sausage or any sandwich meats in over a month.  If I have a nibble of bacon I don't care but I used to eat multiple strips daily.  If you check out fit2fat2fit or Thomas Delaur at all you will see fit athletes eating keto.  
I don't maintain strict keto but I still severely restrict carbs, especially simple carbs and sugar.  With my weight in a happy place, I give little thought to the carbs in fruit or vegetables but I eat next to no bread (and own a bakery), very little white rice and few white potatoes.  I do eat some sweet potato, brown and wild rice, etc but the portion ratios are small.
How strict are you on keto?  Are you doing the "I can eat all the bacon I want" approach?  I eat a ton of salads with cooked meat on them and I quite love that, what does a typical meal look like for you.  I just had a huge salad with leftover sous vide salmon I made last night topped with some leftover roasted broccoli and carrots as well.  I dressed it with an orange olive oil and reduced white balsamic vinegar.  

Best Answer

@AuroraKat, I guess your body has other plans.  Just keep listening ;-).  If you decide to add muscle I am sure you can take in some solid amounts of protein and do workouts but otherwise, your body is finding it's natural weight when you eat well.  I exceeded my expected weight loss by over 20 lbs.  When I talked to my Dr. he thought the normal bmi range was out of reach for me (we assumed I was big boned and even after having lost the first 25, it didn't seem reasonable to loose 80 more).  We were wrong.  I kept eating healthy and the weight kept coming off.  The loss slowed to a crawl around 165 and then I slowly dropped lower and rest happily between 155 and 160 now (hitting 165 during the day).  My point is, we have held our bodies in contempt for a long time with our food and activity levels.  Let's take some time to listen to what they want.  Feed them well, take them for walks, let them rest - and see where they take us.  I hope you are enjoying your new life as much as I am.  Getting so much me out of the way has helped me enjoy so many things again.

Best Answer

@tamado wrote:

How strict are you on keto?  Are you doing the "I can eat all the bacon I want" approach?  I eat a ton of salads with cooked meat on them and I quite love that, what does a typical meal look like for you.  I just had a huge salad with leftover sous vide salmon I made last night topped with some leftover roasted broccoli and carrots as well.  I dressed it with an orange olive oil and reduced white balsamic vinegar.  

@tamado -- thanks for asking -- the last few days, I've experimented with becoming stricter and trying to hit the suggested 5/20/75 ratio of carbs/protein/fat calories, which has meant adding fat.  My breakfast is 1 strip of bacon, 1 egg scrambled in 1/2 tbsp of butter, 2 cups of spinach sauteed in 1 tbsp of coconut oil, 1/2 of a small avocado, coffee with 1/2 tbsp of cream, and a fish-oil capsule.  Lunch might be a Flame Broiler dark meat mini bowl with Kimichi, avocado, and no rice.  Dinner could be a vegetable frittata or cauliflower beef concoction.  The effect has been amazing in terms of an overall sense of well-being, increased energy, suppressed appetite, and arthritis relief.  

One possible confounder: it just occurred to me that, by eating like this, I've eliminated gluten from my diet.  I've never thought about gluten, but it's possible some of the benefits I am receiving are not due to keto, but could be due to eliminated gluten, increased exercise, placebo effect, my new early rising routine, and reduced processed foods.  I'm in a virtuous circle and loving how it makes me feel.

Best Answer

It's the last weigh-in (for me) in October.

Jan. 6, 2017:       202.3 lbs (starting weight)

Ave. daily calorie consumption for week preceding weigh-in.

• Sun, 8.13:   160.8 lbs    2329
  • Sun, 8.20:   160.1 lbs    2665
  • Sun, 8.27:   159.3 lbs    2585
  • Sun, 9.3:     ???             2604
  • Sun, 9.10:   159.8 lbs    2792
  • Sun, 9.17:   159.6 lbs    2499 
  • Sun, 9.24:   159.4 lbs    2819
  • Sun, 10.1:   159.1 lbs    2788
  • Sun, 10.8:   159.4 lbs    2825
  • Sun, 10.15: 159.3 lbs    2532
  • Sun, 10.22: 159.3 lbs    2987
  • Sun, 10.29: 159.1 lbs    2905

- .2 lbs since 10.22

-43.2 since start. 

Goal Range: 160-170 lbs

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Here's my weekly weigh-in. Happy I lost a lb but still wish it would come off quicker. I have read in a few posts about having g a blood panel. Can I ask a 'new-kid-on-the-block' kind of question: what exactly is a blood panel? I am seeing my doctor tomorrow to discuss my weight loss goals and could ask him for this. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1970.PNG

Best Answer

@Jotex, that's a really nice, steep, steady slope.  I wish my weight trend looked like that!  

Blood tests vary, of course, I think the blood "panel" is levels of sugar, hdl, ldl ("good" and "bad" cholesterol), electrolytes (salts) etc levels in the blood.  I think there can be also deeper test which give more information about organ function.  These results can be a marker of general health, possibly not directly related to weoght loss, but many people find their blood indicators (especially the specifics I mentioned)  also improve when they lose weight, or eat a more healthy diet. 

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Hi @Julia_G - thanks a lot, for the encouraging word, and explaining about the blood panels. I discussed it with my Dr. this morning. He advised, since we had only done the full set of tests June 1st, and I’ve been following the new fitness plan only 2 months, that we wait @4 more months to re-do and compare. All my levels were within the normal range then. BP today normal 120/72.

Since I am on keto-diet, he did prescribe Orlistat to help reduce intake of fat (30%).  Said this might help reduce fat levels a bit quicker.

My thighs are rather large for my size, so am looking for weight exercises to help build muscle, reduce fat cells. #notgivingup #seekingsolutionsnotexcuses #failureisnotanoption

Best Answer

Hi, @Jotex, it is impossible to "spot reduce" fat -- i.e. you cannot make your body burn fat from one part of your body.  You can build muscle. of course, through exercise.  For thighs there are the dreaded squats... !

Orlistat will help your body absorb less dietary fat from the food you eat.  It will not reduce fat that your body has stored.  Hopefully your doctor will have explained to you the potential side effects (especially if you eat a fatty meal while taking the medication).

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

@Julia_G - thanks {sigh}. Squats. OK. Holding weights. :white_heavy_check_mark:  

Re. Orlistat, he did explain the effect. On the keto-diet my macros are 10% carbs, 20% protein, 70% fat. Once the body burns the carbs, it starts burning stored fats, I understand. Fat (only ingesting healthy fats, mind) is satiating, so I eat less, and reduce the quantity. 

Best Answer

Start 265 lbs 09/27/2015
This Week 159.0 10/30/2017
Last week 158.4 10/23/2017

Maintenance mode
Loss Range 105 lbs +/- 5 lbs

Got my fitbit!  I've been increasing my yoga practices and eating a lot of protein so I am wondering if I have gained a bit of muscle.  I seem to be on a very slow upward trend and I do not think I am gaining fat.  Time will tell I guess.

Best Answer

USW (pre Fitbit) Nov 14 2016; 123kg
SW (Fitbit) March 2 2017; 97.7kg
PW August 07; 78.5kg
PW August 14; 77.9kg
PW August 21; 77.3kg
PW August 28; 76.9kg
PW Sept. 04; 77.7kg 😳🙈
PW Sept 11; 75.9kg
PW Sept 18; 75.1kg
PW Sept 25; 74.4kg
PW Oct 02; 74.3kg
PW Oct 09; 73.3kg
PW Oct 16; 72.5kg
PW Oct 23; 72.6kg

CW Oct 30; 73.4kg

loss this week; + 800g

Mini goal; 70kg by Christmas

not sure what's happening. I've gone back through my food diary over and over and I'm still in a deficient. My trend weight has shown a steady drop in fat mass and a spike in muscle mass so I guess I'll just hope that's all it is. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens. Gonna be super careful with my portion sizes though 

Best Answer

@Jotex I prefer rack and goblet squats. Love my kettle bells 🙈

Best Answer

By the way, if, while watching the World Series on consecutive nights, you ingest 20 jalapeno cheese poppers, 2 bottles of wine, a side of beef, a gallon of ice-cream, and a martini, your water weight will blip up. 

I'm thinking it was the olive.

chart (5).png

Best Answer

Start 128.5 kg

Last weigh 115.2 kg

This weigh 115.3 kg

Shrinkage 13.2 kg

Mini goal 115 kg

Desired 70 kg

Seem to be stuck. I am doing the same as before. Perhaps it is water. My scales don't register that.

Best Answer

Reporting a bit late, as I came back from my trip to the US on Tuesday and yesterday was my first weigh-in since:

Starting 1-Jan-2017: weight 67.4 kg, BF 18.5%, fat mass: 12.5 kg
Previous 1-May-2017: weight 62.2 kg, BF 15.0%, fat mass: 9.3 kg
Previous 11-Sep-2017: weight 60.4 kg, BF 14.5%, fat mass: 8.7 kg
Previous 18-Sep-2017: weight 60.2 kg, BF 14.3%, fat mass: 8.6 kg
Previous 25-Sep-2017: weight 60.4 kg, BF 14.2%, fat mass: 8.6 kg
Previous 2-Oct-2017: weight 60.3 kg, BF 14.1%, fat mass: 8.5 kg
Previous 9-Oct-2017: weight 60.0 kg, BF 14.0%, fat mass: 8.4 kg
Previous 16-Oct-2017: weight 59.8 kg, BF 13.8%, fat mass: 8.3 kg
Previous 23-Oct-2017: weight 59.5 kg, BF 13.6%, fat mass: 8.1 kg

Current 1-Nov-2017: weight 60.4 kg, BF 13.7%, fat mass: 8.3 kg

The numbers don’t look too bad because of the TrendWeight inertia, but there was some serious shoot-up:

2017-11-02_2102.png

I weighed 59.4 kg on Oct. 24 (last day home before trip) and 62.1 kg on Nov. 1 (first day home after return). That’s +2.7 kg (almost 6 lbs) in one week, gee! A large part of it is probably glycogen replenishment / water due to higher than usual carb intake, but it will probably take me 2-3 weeks to be back where I was before leaving.

On the plus side, I had a great time in DC and no other fattening trips are in sight for a long time.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer