Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for friends - 50s and female and getting fabulous!

Hi!  I'm looking for some friends for motivation and support.  I'm 51, female, and working on losing 30 lbs.  My A1c is pre-diabetic so I'm shedding some weight to try and get it under control. 

Anyone?

Best Answer
2,010 REPLIES 2,010

I have been so sad and frustrated post-menopause about the weight that just will not go and the flab around the middle. 😞 I've been tested for hormone imbalances, etc, and nothing ever shows up as anything but normal. I'm really thinking I might be diabetic or pre-diabetic though so far nothing has shown that either. But I have the dry mouth, thirst, frequent urination...is this the issue you've had when being diagnosed?

Best Answer

check out the help stuff on fitbit.com and it will help you a lot!! good luck on your journey!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Omg I love night eating, love sitting on the couch with my husband at night and eating popcorn, crackers and cheese, whatever. 

I've been dieting since July 16 and lost 11.5 lbs.  Sometimes I miss the night eating so much I would not eat a real dinner and just save the calories for popcorn lol.

Best Answer
Not good stay away from the nasty food eat clean and healthy

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
John W Bryson
Health & Happiness
Best Answer
If you are pre- or diabetic change that diet and start walking. There are plenty of people here to help you and give advice 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
John W Bryson
Health & Happiness
Best Answer

I do two things. First, I wait until 10pm to watch tv. Most of the time, I am too tired and decide to get a shower and head to bed. Secondly, I walk when I am ready to sit in the evening. I say I am walking the dog but I am really dragging the dog along! I actually have a third thing...I have one item that is the go-to for the sweet craving and one for the carb craving. Sweet is maraschino cherries and carb is 94% fat-free microwave popcorn. If I get a sweet craving I eat a cherry...but I try to hold out as long as I can and only eat it if I can't let the craving go. Most of the time I can, but if not, one is so sweet, it almost makes me sorry for wanting it! The popcorn isn't a deal. I usually have it once a month maybe but I don't sweat it if I do.

As I am going along, the cravings are not so much and more managable. I know what triggers them and do what I can to manage that! I also remember the feeling of feeling really good after a workout or a good walk and how I like the fit of my jeans...I just want to keep going forward and that outweighs the want of that craving.

Best Answer

Not really,  just really fatigued.  I think sometimes a condition like type 2 diabetes happens gradually over time so the changes you feel are incremental.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Walking is great for blood sugar control.  You can do it,  losing just a little bit of weight should reverse the pre diabetes.

Best Answer

name is Cheryl, Hello, my problem is also shacking when I shoudn't be. My husband works so muchm that when I get home from running errands and walking the dog for 3 miles, or going to the gym it seems al I do is eat at try to keep busy.  call me sometime, Live in Johnstown. Pa 814-254-2069 cell

Best Answer

Hi! I'm ALMOST 59 (Lord when did that happen!!) and according to my Fitty I walk between 5-7 MILES a day!! I live on a farm, have horses and dogs so I knew I was moving a lot but the suspense was aggravating me...Now I know...so WHY oh WHY do I still need to dump 20 lbs? I LOVE the fruits and veggies we raise, wouldnt eat anything from a FAST food place (YUCK!!). Everyone tells me my body is just USED to working so hard, it doesnt want to lose any of it's fat pal cells! I do not have time to drive into town to attend a gym/class/work-out so I'm wondering if anyone else has that special attachment to their tubbage, like me, despite working out like a ranch hand?!

Best Answer

Hi,

Your story sounds almost the same as mine, it's only been about a year since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  My Ac1 have been on the lower end of the scale, so I only have to take 1/2 a pill.  I too I'm trying to lose weight so that I can maybe get off the meds.   I need to lose 50lbs.  I just got my fitbit, so looking forward to it helping me lose more weight.

@frauline_annie wrote:

Hi!  I'm looking for some friends for motivation and support.  I'm 51, female, and working on losing 30 lbs.  My A1c is pre-diabetic so I'm shedding some weight to try and get it under control. 

Anyone?

Best Answer

Hi Paintncrazy

I can fully relate to your problem, I'm almost 60 and I use to have a horse and walked around 5 miles a day and still had weight to loose. Since no longer "with horse" I have put on EXTRA !!! I have now at least around 30 lbs + to loose.

We grow all our own "organic" veg and fruit dont buy Fast Foods either, weigh everything I am eating and have increased my steps since I have had the Fit Bit (which I love) but have not lost any weight this week. !!!

I too do not wish to go in to town to the gym as I do have wonderful country side around which can be my gym.

The main thing I have tried to do this last week is to work on "getting puffed" ie walking up steep hills fast to try to burn of the calories. Also realise that the Chocolate Snickers I eat are my weakness and have cut down on those ( I have included them in my food intake).

And I am told that muscle weighs heavier than fat. So thought I would take the tape measure to myself and take measurements to see if those reduce.

Good luck and will send you a friends request. x

Best Answer

Hi, I'm an Alaskan girl and just had my 59th birthday!  I just lost over 100 lb this past year, but still have another 30 to go -- but it sure feels good so far where I am.  But I am not done, and wanted to share that we cannot out run our diet.  Even though we get our 10,000 or 15,000 or whatever in, we can eat back all those calories especially if they are carbs and affecting blood sugar.  I DO need to watch the carbs myself as I have been in a plateau for MONTHS...so plan a real re-evaluation to see where I can improve.  I do myfitnesspal every single day (310 days in a row so far...) and just got a fitbit for my birthday on 9/11.  It's def fun to use and very motivating even if I am already pretty active. 

Just remember diet is still a huge factor in weight loss, even for active folks.  Take care and I'm with ya on this!

Best Answer

Many thanks AlaskaSue for your advice. I think that may be where I have gone wrong this week as I have increased my steps - even walked 3 miles yesterday but this morning my weight has gone up.

Will look closer at my food intake in the coming week.

Good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

how do I link with people to stay motivated and compete?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't forget to drink at least 8 glasses of water. Don't like to drink plain water? Try infused water. I add the following to my mason jar and track on my smartphone with my fitbit app. Here are a few combinations to get you started: cucumber and mint; lemon and lime; pear and mint. Enjoy!

Best Answer

THANKS, for posting this, I will look for the min today Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lisab19 wrote:

how do I link with people to stay motivated and compete?

You can find us and add us as friends. Then you'll see a friends list and where you are in the ranking from your number of steps compared with others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I have been so sad and frustrated post-menopause about the weight that just will not go and the flab around the middle. 😞 I've been tested for hormone imbalances, etc, and nothing ever shows up as anything but normal. I'm really thinking I might be diabetic or pre-diabetic though so far nothing has shown that either. But I have the dry mouth, thirst, frequent urination...is this the issue you've had when being diagnosed?

Hi KDarone. Those are exactly the symptoms I had! I am pre-diabetic. And my numbers don't have to be very high to feel this way either. My morning glucose reading can be 101 and I feel this way. So although my numbers are really high they still affect me. I also had an A1C test but I dont' remember what that number was. I truly do feel better when I stay away from all types of grains. I'm heading into menopause and I too have the flabby middle that I never had before. It is frustrating but we can do it!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, I am a 56 yr old and also have type 2 diabetes. I love my Fitbit. I also need to lose at least 20 kg and hopefully my fitbit will help me to do that. I would love to chat with anyone about our progress with the fitbit.
Best Answer