Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weight loss and calorie counting....

ANSWERED

My wife and I have been using our fitbits for 2 months and we average 10,000 steps a day. In addition we are consistently UNDER our calorie goal daily and we have not lost A POUND!! I hear all these stories about weight loss and I think they are a myth, unless the individual has been totally sedate. We don't eat bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, refined sugar, soda or diet sodas. We drink TONS of water and yet nothing.....we don't get it!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The weight loss stories are not a myth.  I have lost 43 pound since the last week in January.  

1.  Do not give up!  I did not have a significant weight loss in my first month but I went down in dress sizes. You maybe gaining muscle which takes up less space than fat but weighs more.  Are your clothes fitting better?  

2.  Everyone is different and loses/gains weight differently.  Because of my genetic back ground I have a very low metabolism ( my height rate is only 56 beats per minute) .  This means I have to eat less and step more than most people.  If you are not losing, consider increasing your steps and/or decreasing your calories.  I discovered after I increase my steps, the weight slid off.    

3.  Join an activity group.  Having buddies helps keep you motivated and helps you keep your active level above 30 minutes.  

Good luck!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
77 REPLIES 77
When I first got mine the account was set to maintain, not to lose weight. Once I set a weight goal and a pace to get there the numbers changed. Appropriate quantity is the key. I measure everything. I try to estimate high for calories intake and low for expenditure. I had substantially increased my activity levels before getting my Fitbit. I'm putting in 12-14000 steps per day and have lost 10 pounds in the month since getting my Flex.
An athlete is someone who makes maximum use of his genetic endowment through training in his environment. - C.T. Mervyn Davies
Best Answer

The weight loss stories are not a myth.  I have lost 43 pound since the last week in January.  

1.  Do not give up!  I did not have a significant weight loss in my first month but I went down in dress sizes. You maybe gaining muscle which takes up less space than fat but weighs more.  Are your clothes fitting better?  

2.  Everyone is different and loses/gains weight differently.  Because of my genetic back ground I have a very low metabolism ( my height rate is only 56 beats per minute) .  This means I have to eat less and step more than most people.  If you are not losing, consider increasing your steps and/or decreasing your calories.  I discovered after I increase my steps, the weight slid off.    

3.  Join an activity group.  Having buddies helps keep you motivated and helps you keep your active level above 30 minutes.  

Good luck!

Best Answer
I have been using mine for a month now and have lost 15 pounds ...I follow a paleo diet ,walk and run an average of 16000 to 20000 steps a day .i do this in about three workouts a day ...my calorie intake is set for 1400 ...I was never sedentary so I'm sure the weight will start to come off .how intense is your workout ...my intensity minutes averag 41 a day .im not overweight at all so not sure why it's not working for you ...
Best Answer

How do you measure how intense your workouts are?  You say you log in between 16-20,000 steps; do you tell this by how long you walk?

Best Answer
0 Votes
There's a square on your Fitbit dashboard that says active minutes ....I walk at a very brisk pace but that's not enough to log active minutes ...I jog or run for about 40 minutes a day to register on the active minutes square ...you have to get at least 30 minutes of active minutes a day to maximize weight loss ....

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
When w set our profiles we set it up to lose a pound a week. I think that since we were always active we aren't experiencing the water loads that most people get. We will keep at it.
Best Answer
We set our profile up to lose 1 pound a week. I'm not sure if the dashboard considers that when it shows a we are under our calorie intake,I assume so Our clothes do fit better and perhaps since we were always very active we didn't have that water weight to lose. We are only looking to lose 10 pounds or so. We may be at a plateau...we will keep at it. Thanks
Best Answer

It's a lot harder to lose the last pounds of your weight campaign than the first.  Of course, I had to lose a lot more than 10 pounds, but I'm finding that you either have to increase your burn rate (more exercise) or take in less calories.  Frankly, I'd rather increase my exercise.

Don't get discouraged.  I find I'm burning about 1,800 more calories a day than I take in.  I'm getting in around 21K steps a day.  That's helping me to lose on the average a little over 3 pounds a week.  But, I now have the last 10 pounds to go and I'm dreading the slow down of weight loss.

Lew

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer

Try eating your full amount of calories for two weeks. When I eat more healthy options, I tend to lose weight. My first serious attempt I lost 40 pounds, then entered grad school and gained it back. I've stayed at the same weight +/- 5lbs for the past 3 months, but my cloths fit better since I started walking and running and moving again.

Best Answer
Thanks for your reply. We eat healthy, chicken, fish, grass fed beef, vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc. We cut out refined products, sugar, wheat, rice, pasta long ago and only have those on rare occasions.
I think the problem is that we were very active prior to fitbit and I believe that we didn't have that"water weight"to lose and are at the point where most people get when they lose a lot of weight and plateau. We are only looking to lose about 10-15 pounds. We average 5 miles a day and just seem to maintain
We will keep at it.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.
Best Answer

I'm having a problem with eating my full quota of calories! Any advice? I really need to loose some weight, but because I didn't eat properly in the first instance I'm finding it really hard. I'm excercising more now but because of having a knee replacement I can't overdo it Smiley Sad any advice gratefully received!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jaykayl wrote:

I'm having a problem with eating my full quota of calories! Any advice? I really need to loose some weight, but because I didn't eat properly in the first instance I'm finding it really hard. I'm excercising more now but because of having a knee replacement I can't overdo it Smiley Sad any advice gratefully received!!

You must have cut something out of your way of eating, because really, you used to eat more than this before, right? I mean, to get to the point you need to lose now, right?

Are you thinking you needed to cut out all fat? Wrong, healthy fat is needed.

So don't buy non-fat low-fat versions of stuff. That should take care of it.

Think about what else you cut out because you think it's not "healthy", whatever that means to you.

Will you really be able to adhere forever without those things, or are you likely to binge trying to cut them out totally?

Might be better to have some, smaller portion, then thinking you can have none.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

apparently I've gained weight because my body has 'stored' fat because I skipped meals??? Not sure that makes sense, but that's what I'm told 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your body is in starvation Mode. So it stores any and all energy that it gets. If it looks like a day where you might skip a meal, I would suggest keeping a Cliff Bar or the like in your desk/car for a quick pick me up;> One it'll help yoru weight loss, and two it'll keep your mood positive cause you've eaten something.

Best Answer

Ok thanks, I'll give that a go and see how I get on. Must admit I was really naughty for not eating for a day or two 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jaykayl wrote:

apparently I've gained weight because my body has 'stored' fat because I skipped meals??? Not sure that makes sense, but that's what I'm told 😞

Sorry, that's a bunch of bull.

That effect, of your body storing fat instead of burning it, is the result of actual starving - which is NOT the same as starvation mode.

There are several effects of literal starving that are given to the starvation mode, which understandably then causes many people to say the whole mode is a myth, when it's just the misapplied effects assigned to it.

You would have to go over 3 days of NOT eating at ALL, to even start going down the route of starving, and then since you are moving much (trying moving much with no food intake), your muscles are unused, and since they are broken down and rebuilt daily, they just don't get rebuilt back up when starving.

Now, what happens in starvation mode, which is also called adaptive thermogenesis, is you stressed your body out from undereating so much, it slowed down several systems so that you burn upwards of 20-25% less calories.

But you do NOT gain weight from either effect, you will still lose weight if you keep eating less and less.

And NEITHER effect happens from skipping a meal.

In fact on studies of fasting, your metabolism goes up in the first 72 hrs. Then it takes a nose dive after that.

Now, what starvation mode will do since your daily burn is now less, is it means that any time you eat over that now lower maintenance figure, you are eating in surplus. Well, surplus calories are eventually stored as fat.

So every binge because eating so low is hard to adhere to, every sick day of doing less, every injury of no exercise, every cheat meal, vacation days, ect, all make it easier to eat in surplus, because you are burning less than you could have been.

So no, whoever told you it happens with one meal (like 1 commercial I've seen) is full of bull, and doesn't know what they are talking about.

It takes some time to even enter starvation mode where body starts adapting slower.

When you undereat too much for your level of activity, several things happen.

Body slows down your spontaneous daily activity, you just move less, fidget less, ect, in order to conserve some calories for the basic metabolism functions.

If that slow down isn't enough, it now slows down doing higher level metabolism functions, growing hair, nails, skin, ect.

If that doesn't conserve enough calories for the low level functions, you start becoming more metabolically efficient, just burning less in everything you do.

Finally, the base metabolic functions can be slowed down somewhat, cellular water management, carb storage, ect. But not much, that stuff has to happen.

That's why the gross effect has only ever been 20-25% slowdown. So if you used to burn 2000 calories, you'd be burning 1600.

The other negative to this is usually eating that little, you lose muscle mass, so smaller metabolism that way too.

But your body NEVER stopped burning fat as fuel during these process, because this is not starving, fat and carbs and fuel source, just like normal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

I lost 30 pounds in 3 months just by changing my diet, and have kept it off for 6 months now. The key was resetting my body and giving it a break from carbs and any type of sugar (including fruit). No grains, dairy or processed foods. Lots of lean protein and protein shakes, low carb veggies and lettuce and tons of water. Then, when you;ve reached your goal, you gradually add back in good, complex carbs, dairy and fruit, but only at breakfast, for two weeks, and then you eat sensibly for life.  It really works and because of all the protein, you don't lose muscle.

Best Answer
I too have had difficulty with weight loss. I log everything (including my Sauvignon blanc) and keep under my calorie count, and I only want to lose four pounds and so far have been unable. I have an under active thyroid and other health issues but no luck so far and I have been using my fit bit since Christmas. Any ideas?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@jenton wrote:
I too have had difficulty with weight loss. I log everything (including my Sauvignon blanc) and keep under my calorie count, and I only want to lose four pounds and so far have been unable. I have an under active thyroid and other health issues but no luck so far and I have been using my fit bit since Christmas. Any ideas?

With so little to lose, I hope you have changed your weight loss goal to the smallest 250 deficit.

Most people have kept too big a deficit for too long, and end up with last 5 lbs with one stressed body that isn't willing to work with them anymore.

It's adapted, and slowed down. You can actually undereat enough to affect your thyroid too.

But with other health issues, your body is already under stress, and having a bigger diet than needed isn't an additional one you need to pile on.

Also, last 5 lbs is usually about a number on scale at that point, whether you look the way you want or not.

So carefully evalute if merely trying to reach a number - which frankly no one will see unless they are in your bathroom likely watching.

Or if you are trying to appear the way you want to.

In which case some resistance training may be more in order, to actually transform the body. All the walking in the world isn't going to do that, especially for upper body.

Best Answer