Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Scammers

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

For those of you new or even those of us who have been part of the community for awhile. Beware of scammers on this site. There are moderators, but not enough of them to keep the kooks out. Remember these are open boards and open groups.

Best Answer
193 REPLIES 193

It really is an enormous problem and the number of friend requests from these Scammers is unbelievable. Often it's the same profile picture with different names. I now refuse most male friend requests. I have reported several Scammers but I am beginning to doubt that Fitbit is bothered.

For example when you get a friend request from a male and on his profile page it says he averages 263,700 steps a day that is obviously a scammer... He claimed he walked a lot at work.

It's pathetic and annoying and I really think the moderators aren't bothered

Barbara
Best Answer
I don’t befriend any and haven’t in a long time I too see old faces with different names and nationalities dam scammers are rife on Fitbit I look at their profile and it’s screams scammer so I report and block but they always come back and no I don’t think Fitbit mediators do enough to protect the genuine people on here it’s unfair and unacceptable

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hi fitbit admin,

can I suggest some improvements to the UI of the fitbit? the reason why so many users received mass request is because of the add fren button that is available in the friend list of the particular user. what these scammers did is that they just mass add them by easily clicking the button one by one. Can we have these buttons remove and only make it appear on the user itself?

Anthony

https://ibb.co/2K8w7bn 

Best Answer

I know this is an older post, but I just started receiving random friend requests in the last week and would be interested in joining an antispammer group, if it still exists. Sent friend request. 

Best Answer

It’s old SA7 but still very relevant. I’ve had my fair share and its only been 3 mths since i joined the fitbit community. It was quite shocking as i never expected it. It’s very off putting!

Best Answer

There are anti scammers groups on Facebook and Instagram, you can also check out the profile picture on reverse image search, bing or Tineye, the results are sometimes very interesting. However the anti scam groups are interesting they don't get involved with Fitbit they tell you to report the scammer to Fitbit admin

Barbara
Best Answer
It’s disgusting it’s riff on Fitbit stay safe

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I'm blocking scammers left, right, and center.
Best Answer
Don’t befriend anyone it’s safer stay safe

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I had just one account who befriended me in the guise of support on FitBit (accountability). And I take being active seriously & had met like minded people in Fit Bit.  This account had sent PM’s & convincing me to invest in a lucrative “Crypto Trading.” Then eventually was asking for $100 eBay card. Pathetic! 

Best Answer
Seriously, that is pathetic! Fitbit is a network for people who have
health and fitness goals, not a dating site or a trading site!
Best Answer
They are sad pathetic people I changed my cover photo and have had loads I just deleted them one of them looked genuine so I added him as a friend then the questions started and I thought yep same lines as always another dam scammer so I reported him and blocked him it’s dam ridiculous stay safe

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
It’s overrun with dam scammers so take care be safe they always follow a pattern want to know all about you then move on to hangouts a scammer playground

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
There’s genuine people on Fitbit but the place is overrun with bloody scammers so be safe

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Tell me about it. Why do scammers always have to ruin Fitbit for us? 

Best Answer

I completely agree with you all. I had a guy claiming to be a Marine named Shane N. and using his profile pic.  He even wanted me to give him my WhatsApp number; I told him that I didn't think it was a good idea and that's how scammers trick women. He didn't like that I called him a scammer.  The Shane N. I looked up on DuckDuckGo was Shane Nickels, who is actually a Marine, but someone was using his profile pic. 

Best Answer
They get away with it because Fitbit just don’t give a fiddle about it they know it’s riff on here but do nothing I have seen so many faces come back under a different name and nationality it’s ridiculous stay safe don’t accept friends unless you see badges and trophies etc

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Don’t trust anyone on this site unless you see badges and trophies you will soon know if they are genuine if not they will want to know everything about you give a sob story they have lost a wife child or both then they will try and move you to hangouts a scammer playground so be safe out there

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Agreed @Oscardoghiggy  and also we should see when they joined the forums. So many join and immediately begin to hit up members. One way to get to know the people is to see their trophies and badges, but many of us keep everything hidden unless you are a friend. I check out a person's profile and how they post. If they are all about "my dear" and asking personal questions when they post, I don't bother with them. Most of my interactions are on these forums, not from the app feed. You're right - stay safe.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

How does a person flag under the profile because I don't see a way to do that? 

Best Answer
0 Votes