Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit is not a dating app!

ANSWERED

I keep getting requests to add people (men) and then I get "I'm drawn to you cosmically" and "Let's chat on another app!" I've blocked these guys, but now I won't add anyone for fear of the same thing.  How can I add people without getting weirdos? 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Strength123
1. Don’t accept friend requests from those with  A) no recent activity, B) who just joined yesterday, & C) have hundreds of friends 

2. If you have accepted someone who is sending inappropriate DMs, you can unfriend them - just go to their profile page & tap the 3 dots in the upper right, & select “remove this friend”. They will not be able to direct message you. 
3. If they are so obnoxious as to continue to make inappropriate comments on your posts, then select “block”.  It’s amazing how this will make them disappear! 

And NEVER give anyone your phone #, email, or social media contact info unless you really want them in your life 😎

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
86 REPLIES 86

Hi @TracySpringer I only accept friend request from people I know. The exception being someone I have seen posting regularly on the forums and thus I feel like I know their intentions. Unfortunately, there are creeps just trying to find a new way to hook-up, but the best way to handle them is to just ignore their friend requests.  

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

I only know 2 people with Fitbits. Lol Smiley Sad 

Best Answer

Ditto what Marcy Said.

I would see this thread many people looking for friends. Tells you how to add in the first post

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Be-Inspired/Looking-for-Fitbit-Friends-Find-some-here/td-p/1257283

Good people there. the bad people are in the app Smiley Very Happy

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I only add people (or accept friend requests) from around the forums or the community group I created.

I will say, as soon as I changed my profile picture to my dog instead of my face, I stopped getting creepy male friend requests.  Smiley Very Happy

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I have received some friend request from girls that later ask for me to send them iTunes cards for them to use.  IT is pretty funny.  I have deleted people I have accepted as friend and when I see that they do not join challenges or invite challenges or cheer each other I delete them.   

Best Answer

hey there @TracySpringer.. I feel ya. It is insane and doesn't seem to be stopping. When I get a friend request I go straight to their profile. I look for gender.. if they didn't bother changing it from female, chances are they don't actually have a tracker. If they have only female friends or no friends and date they joined.. if it is within a month of sending me a friend request, it is more than likely not legit paired with one or more of the scenarios I shared above. It is exhausting that we have to play detective, but creepers will always exist and find a way to be even more creepy. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

more than me... my younger sis lol

all Apple's.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another way to spot them as they have no steps. I think none of them even own a fitbit

Community Council Member

Best Answer

That's a shame because most of us just want Fitbit friends.  It gives the honest folks a bad name.  If you'd like to add me as a friend, please feel free.   

Best Answer

Beware because some of them are getting Fitbits now. The majority are Nigerian romance scammers who friend you, groom you, lure you offsite, and then start asking for money for various made-up emergencies. They are scumbags using stolen photos.

Best Answer

Oh, and I just sent you a friend request. As you become friends with people and get into challenges, you'll find more people to friend within the challenges. I'm in the max of ten challenges pretty much all of the time now and have around 200 legitimate friends.

Best Answer
lol
Peace, Love and Rock 'n' Roll!
Best Answer

I have been in the same boat.  It is a bit odd to use fitbit to try to hit on women. Newsflash: There are 1000's of Free dating apps. 🙄

Best Answer

Good advice, @MarciM. But may I add ... block them! I find that helps a bit. 

Best Answer

the exact same thing happened to me still get the occasional one popping up. its really annoying and weird! I know all guys arent like that but i get the weird ones!

@Heather-S wrote:

I only add people (or accept friend requests) from around the forums or the community group I created.

I will say, as soon as I changed my profile picture to my dog instead of my face, I stopped getting creepy male friend requests.  Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer

@WendyB

ummmmmm uhh "good people" ?  check out the latest post there (profile, posting history, acct start date, registered date etc)   .  

this really bothers me (being a guy) as I have several friends here that are female and male of varying ages and ones sex or age should not matter here 

Best Answer

@russsss if you read my post it says good people here bad ones in the app.

Also I only belong to a few groups over there not all. So I didn't see what you saw.

If it bothers you report the post by tapping on the 3 dots in the corner.

If you don't want to PM me the group and I will report it. I report them all the time.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I always delete requests from people who do not appear to have any interest in fitness or the challenges.  I am not looking to date as I am happily married.  I have received 2 requests that I would like to ignore and delete, but the app wont let me delete....the requests keep appearing.  Why is this happening?  What can i do?  i tried deleting and reinstalling app but that did not help.  

Best Answer

@LaurajeanbDid you try and Block it? That will get rid of it as well

Community Council Member

Best Answer