Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seniors

Hi,  I am 65 years old.  I am looking for friends that are retired and just starting out.  I just got my FitBit for Christmas, as so far loving it.  I would love to have some friends in my age group and fitness level to work with and help to keep me motivated.  

Best Answer
132 REPLIES 132

I sent a fgreind request Im 61

You can also search for groups here:

http://relliker.com/#

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi

I am 70 years and just found out about Fitbit.  I do a lot of walking on some days and also spend a lot of time at my computer.  I consider myself somewhat active.  I look forward to having a Fitbit buddy.....a supportive person who understands the process of aging and working to maintain an active life.

I live in Seattle in senior housing where I take part in many activities.  Today I facilitated our Residents Association meeting.  It takes me several days to prepare for it, so I've been at the computer a lot.

Best Answer

Hello:

I am also a senior and just got my fitbit a week ago.  I would love to be an email friend with someone who is having the same difficulties as myself.  I have had two knee replacements. Have recently lost 25 lbs but still need to loose at least 30.  I am only walking about 3000 steps a day so far but building it up each day.

Best Answer
Hi,

Congratulations on losing the weight!! That?s awesome!! And I wish you success as you go along with Fitbit.

I know what you mean about difficulties. My personality is to push ahead despite the pain?..and I pay for it. I walked a few thousand to start last week. Then I had the time to walk 10,000 steps two days ago and then 10,000. I learned my lesson yesterday. My back hurt like hell but I had to go to the pharmacy. So I slept 11 hours last night. I am going out right now and will definitely cut back. I have rheumatoid arthritis, heart disease and fibromyalgia. So I am very happy to have Fitbit to motivate me to lose 30 pounds.

Maxine
Best Answer
Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Keep walking and moving. It seems to help me. I have problem with balance from an inner ear (doc's don't know what it is). I walk with Nordic walking poles. It gives much more confidence and I am not afraid of falling. Everyone laughed because I wanted a fitbit. I did not realize that I had to synx to a computer. When I got it I was a little disapointed but it seems to get me out there walking when I see how little I did on the computer. I have only had it a week. The first day I walked 300 steps and am now doing 3000. I am trying to add 500 steps a day.
Keep up the good work.

Norma70
Best Answer

What improvement!  Me, too.  I am so pleased with my progress.  Just pluckin' away.  

Happy Fourth!  I got some walking in today shopping for party food.  My back feels a lot better today in that I slept until 1 p.m. today.  I am late afternoon person.

Let's keep up the good work.

Max

Best Answer
Aiming for 5000 steps today. Wish me luck. I live in Toronto but I understand the Americans have a holiday tomorrow. Happy forth of July. Enjoy the party

Norma70
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all, I'm Bridget, aka GG.

I recently turned 66. I'm from Northern Ca. I've been a avid walker for exercise all of my adult life. I now have health issues that are cramping my style. I'm trying to shed these unwanted 40 extra pounds. 

I received my fitbit one week ago. The same day I dislocated a couple of ribs. Before that I was diagnosed with hip something or other. I had been doing exercises daily and faithfully for my hip. Once I broke the ribs I can't seem to get on the floor and do the hip exercises. So I started walking in the house, 5min. every hour. Until I reach 30min. That seem to help reach that first goal of 5,000 steps.

Well today I was able to go out and do my walk that I've done for years. I went at it slower then usual. I feel it's all accumulative and as long as I'm moving, that's fine with me. If the temperture gets to hot I'll keep the walking up in the house. My body can't deal with walking when it's 70 and above. 

I've also replaced one of my meals with a lowglycemic protein shake which I add a banana and or blueberries. It's actually quite delicious.

Ok, well nice to meet you all, continued to fight the fight and be happy 🙂

GG

Best Answer
Hi GG.

Wow. Good for u. Keep on pushing yourself but not too much. Be careful. Baby Steps. Glad to hear you are doing better. Keep up the good work.

Norma70 (jogger)
Best Answer
Hello GG,

Hope you are having more fun now that you are back to walking. Yeah, I walked in the house to get to 10,000. It was an Aha! for me, that I didn?t have to get dressed to go out since I already had been out.

I cut back on my steps yesterday to rest and today, as I shop for July 4th, I?m letting all my running around be my Fitbit time. Hmmm, I will probably use the treadmill in our building later. 🙂

Yes, let?s continue to fight the big fight instead of keeping on these pounds. I have 30 to lose. I lost 2 pounds this past week. Happy, happy! Water weight but still happy.

Happy Fourth
Grandmarce
Best Answer
Hi
I appreciate your comments. Yes, two 10,000 steps in a row was a lot of strain on my lower back. I need the rest and will not do that again.

Grandmarce
Best Answer

I just got my fitbit.  Am turning 69 this month.  Was an avid walker and work out

buff but stopped about 1.5 years ago after breast cancer.  Don't know why just did.

So I bought the fitbit, put it on yesterday and want to get  back into walking and some

exercise.    I need self motivation and some goal setting and hopefully I'll lose some

weight, get back into shape and be a very healthy 69 year old.

Best Answer

I am 62 and have been using my fitbit one for two weeks.  I love it! But I guess I am getting addicted because I just got a fitbit charge today.  I wanted the auto sleep feature.  I have lots of sleep issues right now.  But I am using the Charge to track my sleep better and I am also using both to track my movements through out the day.  Some days I do better than others, but I am hanging in there.  I have fibromyalgia so some days are harder to move than others.  I set a goal of 100 steps more each day.  I can't say I've always met this, but I am working on it.  How are you all doing?  I would love to friend you all.

Elendili

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there! my name is Bernita, and I live in Phildelphia, PA USA. I am 63 years old and retired. my daily goal is 5,000 steps. I would love to join you on your quest to get more steps in. my email is bernitaw@yahoo.com

Best Answer

I would love to have you as my friend. I am 67 and have arthritis.  I try to get as many steps in as I can in a day.  Send me a friend request.

Best Answer
Not sure how to request my email is bernitaw@yahoo.com

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab®4
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was looking through the Fitbit website for people my age and zippo. So I did a separate search on the web. I am 68 and I also got the Fitbit for Christmas. Mine has five little lights that come on one at a time as I meet my step goal.  At first I put in 500 steps and got there just walking around the house, so I upped it to 5000 and was just short by 300 steps. I am going to up it again today to 7500 steps. 

I love my two yoga classes a week that I do, and it is hard to make my family understand that is MY time and don't ask me for anything on those two mornings.  I intend to start walking again on the treadmill, but I am told that you have to swing your "Fitbit" arm when you walk so it will record the steps. That will be hard because I have balance problems and normally hold the rails. I'll try.

I need to lose at least 20 to 25 pounds and get off my big BUTT! Let's keep in touch.

Best Answer

Hi . 

Its norma 70. I also have balance issues. I walk with a walker or cane. I thought this might work for you. Apparently steps are counted when your arm swings but I have discovered if I attach the fitbit through the laces on mr runners the steps get counted. I also do this when grocery shopping. I have be n away for a year but am back at it for 2018. Let me know if this works for you- my email address has been changed and I had problems responding to you

nor a70

Best Answer
Thanks, I will give it a try!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer