Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit One keeps turning off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am having trouble with my fully charged One shutting off during the day.  I've tried the turning it off and back one three times and that doesn't work.   Been happening for 2-3 weeks. 

Best Answer
226 REPLIES 226

I had a conversation with @FitbitSupport on Twitter and they basically said, go buy a new one. We'll give you a 25% discount off retail, but that's what Amazon sells them for anyway so really not a discount at all.

I bought a new one becuase I've been walking 10,000 steps a day for 3+ years and want to keep that going, but wow, FitBit should at least acknowledge the problem and say they are sorry. Maybe I'll write them a letter...

Best Answer

After syncing with my PC, I went two days without a failure, but one occurred today.

The remarkable thing to me is that the device went for 3 years without a hiccup, and then this...

Best Answer

Shanbaum, it sounds like my situation is mirroring yours.

After multiple restarts the other day, my 2-year-old FitBit One finally started working again, although the steps for the day were never recovered, and there doesn't seem to be any way to edit steps on the dashboard, like you can do with sleep.

At 4 pm EST today, when I took a look at my FitBit to check my steps, it wouldn't turn on. After holding down button a while, FitBit 6.6 showed up again, the time is 7:30 AM, and I've got 230 steps for the day.

This is making me angry beyond description. I don't have time to call FitBit service, especially since it sounds like all I'll get is an invitation to buy a new one at an insultingly low discount. 

I walk with a friend who wears a tracking bracelet that's a knock off of FitBit at a fraction of the cost. When I complain about this she just laughs. If her cheezy knock off quits working, she'll just buy a new one -- and will still have paid less than I paid for the FitBit.

Best Answer

Just writing to say that I had this problem with my Fitbit and so did another family member. Fitbit only offered a 25% discount, which was not worth it to me. Luckily another family member stopped using their fitbit so I was able to take theirs....but in any event, looks like a major problem with the FitBit One that FitBit is not addressing at all.

Best Answer

CraigCraig, You bought a new one? That's rewarding bad behavior on the part of FitBit developers and customer service. Why should they improve if people keep buying their product?

For two years I was a FitBit fanatic. But there are other products on the market and I'm willing to bet that some of them offer better customer service than this.

After 2 shut offs in a 24 hour period, I am giving up on the FitBit, and letting friends, family & my social media followers know that this is not a product worth buying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would like to know if this problem has occurred with new devices.  As I've written, mine worked for more than three years before starting to malfunction.  I suspect that this behavior could be the result of the battery failing - after all, it's a pretty remarkable battery, charging in a couple of hours and powering the device for two weeks or more.  Something has to give; it seems too good to be true, and this unexpected shutdown behavior could be the price one pays for that kind of performance.  However, that shouldn't happen with a new unit, and if it is happening with new units, my aging-battery theory is probably erroneous.

If it happens frequently with new devices, it looks more like some flaw in design or execution, for which fitbit might be held liable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My one is 18 months old. The dying-in-my-pocket thing just happened again -- second time in four days. A previous poster suggested going to an alternative tracker. That's fine, but I don't know of another that you can just put in your pocket. (Anyone?)  The various fitness wrist bands aren't an alternative for me. I agree, incidentally, that declining battery performance could well be an issue. The quality of battery a device gets might vary over a period of manufacturing.  So I'll probably take a deep breath, buy another One, and hope for the best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A friend of mine has a pocket tracker he bought at Walmart for about $20.

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd like to add my voice to the others here. Hopefully if we all speak up Fitbit will need to acknowledge the problem. I've had (and loved) my Fitbit One for three years. Just a couple of weeks ago, it began shutting itself off randomly several times a day. I can't trust it to record my steps anymore so it is sadly useless. I've tried resetting several times, to no lasting effect. 

Best Answer

My Fitbit One has also stopped working (not even a year and a half old).  I tried trouble shooting and I also called Customer Support.  The gentleman I worked with at CS was very kind and respectful.  However, he was not able to get my Fitbit up and running again.  He offered me a 25% off voucher for a new Fitbit product which was very generous but why would I buy another Fitbit product when my first Fitbit did not last?  I then asked to speak to a supervisor to voice my concerns and in the end she said that I was just one little person in the big company (which I inferred as my opinion does not matter to the Fitbit company) Shame on them!  I will never buy or recommend a Fitbit product again.  Also, keep in mind that a morning show recently did a segment on the most accurate trackers and Fitbit was not one of the top two. 

Best Answer

Chamilto, Like you, I will never buy another FitBit product.

What morning show, and what did they list as the most accurate trackers? I am in the market for something new. After 2 years of faithfully wearing the FitBit every day and night, it feels odd to be without a tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Juan, was there an update that was pushed for the firmware for the FitBit One recently?

We all seem to be having the same issue that started roughly at the same time. Is there any serious research being done on this problem affect so many users? If so can we expect a patch or firmware update soon to resolve the issue? I have not been using my tracker because of this problem that has basically bricked it. I've tried the reset method several times now to no avail. I keep just getting the 6.60 message the general menu with no updating or syncing. I perform the update and then sync to the android app and this allows it to work with the personalization showing my name for about 10-15 minutes then it shuts itself off again and reverts back to the 6.60 message. I think it is safe for me to say that we have all been really happy with our trackers thus far and are incredibly frustrated on the lack of support and help for this issue. 

Best Answer
Hi!

I believe the morning show was Good Morning America. The people at GMA and someone from the Hospital for Special Surgery tested a bunch of fitness trackers. I believe the most accurate was Apple's health app that comes with the phone but I can't remember who came in second. I do remember that it was not Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing with mine for the last few weeks. I have had this particular Fitbit for the last few years, and never had an issue until very recently. Hoping there is a solution soon. I would hate to buy a new one only to have the same problem.

It's getting very frustrating missing steps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kind of an update from my last post about a month ago. The problem Fitbit behavior seems to be that it goes to sleep. You can awaken it by holding down the button for 2-3 secs. In the meantime it hasn't tracked your steps. My wife has a Fitbit of about the same vintage (18 mos.) and has never experienced the problem. The difference between her use and mine as that she would constantly check her steps throughout a day. I would leave mine unchecked until late in the day. I tried her approach -- pulling the Fitbit out of my pocket and checking my steps every couple of hours. Voila! The Fitbit stopped going to sleep (except for once in the past month when I just forgot to check the thing for half a day). This doesn't address or explain the problem. But as a practical matter it has made it manageable for me, without (so far) needing to pony up $75 for a new Fitbit that might (or might not) have the same issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
That appears to be the same situation I am having. It even goes to sleep at
night on my night stand and I have to "wake" it up in the morning by
pushing the button for 2-3 sec. It used to wake up on its own with
movement and the display will say "Hi Rob" or something like that. If
anyone can figure out where the sleep setting is, that may resolve most of
the problems so many are experiencing on this board.

R
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, I'm following up on my complaint from six weeks ago. I did give up on my Fitbit One for more than a month, while searching for a replacement from another company (why would I buy another Fitbit after this experience?) I have had difficulty finding a well rated replacement that is on a clip, not a wristband, that tracks both steps and sleep. That search continues.

Meanwhile, I decided to try the Fitbit one more time before throwing it in the trash. The battery was completely drained, so I charged it overnight. And the next morning it worked fine! That was a week and a half ago and it's still working. I had never let the battery totally die before -- I always charged it as soon as I got the message that it was low. I don't know if that's why it worked this time.

I am not hopeful that it will continue to work for long, given the experience of everyone on this thread. But I thought I'd share this with you so that you might try this with your Fitbit. If you do, pease report your results to this group.

@rayersttn @RichmondRick @Jillere @chamilto @Zanarchist @Charlync @shanbaum @OneUser12

@CraigCraig @NachoMPLS @magggiek @Shar12356 @cmm71710 @candlemail @1242stony

Best Answer

Thanks for the suggestion! I'd left my Fitbit One on the shelf for a few weeks so the battery was already dead. I charged it this morning and I'm giving it another chance. So far, it's counted 3500 steps without going to sleep on me. Fingers are crossed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem with my One shutting off. I have reset it with my computer once, but after reading these posts I will try letting the battery run all the way down (I just charged it so it might take a while...). Does anybody know if this problem is unique to the One, or do other Fitbits do the same thing?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not too sure if this is the answer but we had similar issues. After going through much of the same fixes that were suggested, we noticed that the metal peice in the fitbit clip had become exposed in the area of the fitbit charging nodes. We tucked the metal peice back into the silicone holder. We let the One discharge and then recharged it. This appears to have corrected the problem. I hope that this will help.

Best Answer
0 Votes