Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit One keeps turning off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am having trouble with my fully charged One shutting off during the day.  I've tried the turning it off and back one three times and that doesn't work.   Been happening for 2-3 weeks. 

Best Answer
226 REPLIES 226
Thanks! I will try that. Hope it fixes the problem- I really like my Fitbit
when it's working right!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same with me, tried the 12 second reset a few times, still shutting down. There must be a lot of unhappy customers out there - come on Fitbit, lets get this sorted out before you lose more customers - your reputation is at stake.  I love my fitbit, but now it's so unreliable!

Best Answer

I too have had the same problem with my Fitbit shutting down and not tracking my steps, I did notice when i updated the software app on my phone that's when i noticed all the problems began. Hopefully Fitbit will look into this. I too was offered the 25% off another device, My boyfriend was kind enough to buy another for me, but now i wonder if this will fix this issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

As I reported previously, after a month of not working and the battery going completely dead, I recharged and had 3 weeks of trouble-free use. Now it's acting up again, going to sleep (I guess) and not tracking... then, after a reset, working. I expect it to follow the same pattern, getting worse over the next few weeks.

It's clear that Fitbit is not paying attention to this thread. Haven't heard from a moderator in quite a while. I posted this as a new thread to get their attention:

Fitbit people, please visit this thread. It started in April, and people continue to report similar problems. A moderator replied in the beginning, but we haven't heard from him since April 9. His advice, to reset the device, isn't working -- or only works for a few hours or days.

Offering a 25% discount on a new devise isn't a good enough response.

Do you really want a group of previously loyal and now very unhappy users to share with friends and family that Fitbit makes unreliable products and offers substandard customer service?

Best Answer

Same thing is happening to me and it occurs at all levels of battery charge.  My One is probably about 18 months old, in good condition and up to date with the latest firmware.  This happens at least once a week now it seems and the only way to get it to "wake up" is to connect it to a charger.  It's becoming a pain.

Best Answer

I'm having trouble with my Fitbit One too. I've had this Fitbit for probably 3 years; it's a replacement for one I lost before. That's how much I like my Fitbit. However, now I think I may need to change brands.

I had been updating my Fitbit via the dongle in my USB port on my Mac. After I upgraded to El Capitan on the Mac, the dongle was never recognized. So I switched to syncing the Fitbit with the mobile iOS app.

Since I switched to the app, the Fitbit would not keep a charge like it had before. I would get "battery low" warnings after only a couple of days. Then last week, the One couldn't even keep a charge for a full day. I switched the setting in the iOS app to not sync every day, and I discovered that the dongle now works with El Capitan. So I deleted the app from my phone.

However, now the One can't even keep a charge for 8 hours after charging overnight. It may indeed be going to sleep where pushing the button doesn't wake it up, but if I plug it in to charge it, it sometimes shows a full battery indicator, and sometimes shows a really low batter indicator.

I have tried resetting the One by plugging it into the computer and holding the button for 12 to 13 seconds. I've done that for the last two days, but yesterday was the first day that I couldn't even get 8 hours out of my charge.

I may believe that the battery on my particular One is just shot because I have had mine for years. However, if new Ones are having the same problem, then I don't want to buy a new. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone and thank you for all the participation and feedback about this issue. I have to offer my apologizes to all of you, as this thread has not received any recent update.

I can understand your frustration and disappointment regard this matter. I mentioned in other post that brought my attention to this thread, that this issue has been reported and some of you have brought the the fact that the number version suddenly appear on the screen which is a symptom of this problem. To add more information, this is an error in the internal software of the tracker and with a restart, most of the times is fixed. Although, I have read your comments and after a while the issue persist. I will pass this information to our teams for further investigation.

I wonder how it goes for those who let the battery drains off? It seems that letting the battery drains completely off and the recharging it, the issue was corrected. Or reviewing the tracker constantly to avoid the tracker suddenly went off as a second alternative. I appreciate you have shared this workaround @RichmondRick and @FelJones.

Note if the issue cannot be corrected with a restart, most likely is hardware issues; so the best recommendation I can offer and I know some of you have tried it already, is to contact Customer Support. They have the tools to review your device's history and recommend the next steps.

In some of your scenarios I saw the warranty expired and you were offered 25% discount. I have mentioned this before. I can understand your frustration because I think Warranty policies can narrow many possibilities sometimes. However I also believe that the devices functionality relies on many factors. Parting from that principle I understand as well why warranty policies are needed. Our customer support team strive to keep every single Fitbit customer on track and as part of that position they will motivate the search for alternatives to reinforce a healthy lifestyle. Is at this moment when such gestures of good will like discounts come in to play. It might be little and in some cases the price with other retailer is lower, however is appropriate to address we don't have influence over the price of third party retailer and this discount is an alternative when support are short in options due to the warranty.

As soon I got more updates I will let you know. See you around.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Thanks for the update, Roberto.

I let the battery drain completely, recharged it and tried again. It worked for about 3 days, then went back to the behavior (going to sleep during the day and missing steps). I do need to constantly wake it up throughout the day. As a result, I have no idea how many steps it's missing, so it's no longer reliable at all.

@RobertoME wrote:

I wonder how it goes for those who let the battery drains off? It seems that letting the battery drains completely off and the recharging it, the issue was corrected. Or reviewing the tracker constantly to avoid the tracker suddenly went off as a second alternative. I appreciate you have shared this workaround @RichmondRick and @FelJones.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same experience here - fully drained battery, re-charged, worked OK for about 4 days, then, it was back to the shutting-down-in-my-pocket problem.

Another artifact of this issue:  originally, the "STEPS" and "FLOORS" and other labels would go away after a few views of the measurements.  Since this problem arose, those labels stay around indefinitely.

Best Answer

I am in the same boat that I have tried the suggested resets, and then drain and resets only to have the problem return after a few hours. I have not exposed my fitbit one to water or even dropped it really. I find the support here lacking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertoFitbit 

Appreciate your response, but please note that some of the people on this thread have reported having this problem when their Fitbit One was 18 months old. My problem started before the 2 year mark. That may be out of warranty, and no one expects electronics to last forever, but paying a premium for a Fitbit over a cheaper brand, knowing that it will only be reliable for 1.5 years, is not acceptable.

If this is caused by the internal battery, there should be a way to replace the battery rather than having to throw away the Fitbit.

And, if nothing else, the discount offered by Customer Service should be worthwhile. How about 50%?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having seen these posts, and from my own similar experience, I'm convinced that this is an intrinsic problem.  I can't tell if it's software or hardware, or some combination of the two, but it's clearly not imaginary, and not isolated.  At this point, the Fitbit One has to be regarded as a disposable device; you'll probably get a year or more of service from it, but it may have to be replaced at any time thereafter.  If you buy a Fitbit One knowing that, OK.

Scire emptor.

Best Answer

Do other fitbit models have the same problem? I'm not really a "rubber bracelet" person, so that's why I got the One. If it's not going to work consistently, that's not very helpful 😞

Best Answer

So my previous reply got removed because I mentioned a reality that apparently FitBit as a company would like to pretend doesn't exist. Note that I didn't link to anything just got censored for stating a fact. 

Here is my previous comment minus the bit that offended their guidelines. We'll see how long it stays this time before they find another reason to censor it. 

I have heard/seen complaints on the boards that the Flex is experiening similar issues as well. Both models are older in FitBit's line. I know a lot of tech companies will intentionally hamper the functionality of older products to try to force users to upgrade. This usually occurs around the 18 month point in the device being on the market. Planned obsolescence. Honestly if I wanted to upgrade to something like their flagship Blaze, which is like a smart watch, why wouldn't I just get a smart watch from the same manufacturer as my phone for better integration? Because I already invested time/effort into all the tracking with FitBit? With the lack of customer support so far, offering only a small discount that doesn't even beat their Amazon store prices, I would be hard pressed to justify it. So why bother staying with them.

Best Answer

As it happens, @Zanarchist, I got a notification about your original post so I was able to compare the original to your reposting to see what was bounced. And so can anyone else who has posted on this thread if they checked the box for "email me when someone replies."

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have this problem as well. FItbit is about two years old. Battery fully charged. Unit shuts off and clock stops. None of the suggested fixes work. Checking constantly to wake it up is not practical! Help.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my One for about 18 months, love it,  and have since bought one for each of my daughters and my Husband.  Around the time when my daughter first activated hers a few weeks ago mine started having issues that I thought was loss of battery but after reading this thread I think otherwise.  I actually thought hers and mine were somehow incompatable and I was using this week while she and her One were on a missions trip as a test.  That was not the issue, my One still turns off.   I wonder if mine did some kind of update when she was registering hers?? Not even sure if that is possible.

I agree with others that this is a major problem and Fitbit needs to do something more to fix the problem other than offering a discount. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

After several resets etc, my Fitbit One has again shut down. So now it's pretty much useless as a fitness tracker. Come on Fitbit - look after your customers!  Why on earth would I go and buy,or recommend a Fitbit to anyone!

Word of mouth is a great selling tool!

Best Answer

Exactly my problem. I have carried out several resets (with battery full) and stepped out with confidence, usually to play golf, then nothing. System now says "I'm inactive" and I'm doing more than usual. Very frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yet another stepper here with the same problem. Mine is 3 years old, but I started having this issue at the 2 year mark - just like everyone else. There is no rhyme or reason. I've drained it, let it alone for weeks even, restarted x times in a row - all to no avail.

Got the same, insulting 25% discount on a new fitbit, but I am extremely reluctant to give them more money as it appears this isn't a random case - we are all experiencing this together.

Why is there no comment from FitBit besides the one reply? It's rather dodgy business....

Best Answer
0 Votes