Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 constant scrolling / automatic button pressing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I wanted to start this thread in the hopes of finding others that are experiencing this issue and try to find out if there is a better solution, especially for people out of warranty on their device. 

Symptoms:
  • A week ago my Charge 2 started automatically turning notifications on and off every couple of seconds without me pressing the button. This action is accompanied by a vibration, so every few seconds my device is vibrating.
  • Occasionally it will also start cycling through the various screens very quickly, which doesn’t cause it to vibrate but it will eventually stop on a screen like stopwatch, heart rate etc and start and stop that activity, with the vibration and get "stuck" there in that state.  
  • Since there is no way to turn off vibrations on the Charge 2, and the screen stays on almost all the time, the battery drains very quickly. 
 Additional Information:
  • This started happening in the middle of the night as I was asleep. I take proper care of my devices, I do not get my Charge 2 wet and there was no hard impact on the device anytime recently.
  • I have read in these forums that some people can alleviate the issue by rebooting 3-5 times in a row but this isn’t happening for me. Even for some of those that say it does work, the issue returns a few days later.
  • It’s almost like the button is stuck but it’s not truly stuck because I can still press it, hold it down for reboot etc. and it responds the same way it always has as long as the device isn’t stuck in the automatic cycling.
  • I have now turned off all the extra screens/menu items but it still gets “stuck" turning notifications on/off. I cannot find a way to turn off vibrations on the Charge 2 so if anyone else knows how please reply.
  • It still counts my steps and syncs to my phone so there’s no apparent issue there but since the battery drains in less than a day and vibrates a lot, it's not very practical to keep using.
Fitibit Support:
I did a Live Chat with Support and they did not offer any other solution besides the rebooting mentioned above. Because my device is out of the warranty period they’re giving me a percentage off a subset of devices (probably refurbished) that does not include the Ionic or Versa. 

This feels like it’s more of a software/firmware issue than a hardware issue because like I said above, the button seems to be responding to reboot actions. The Charge 2 has not had a firmware update in over 6 months now so I would like to hear from someone at Fitbit on whether they believe this could be fixed in the firmware. I feel like more could/should be done than blanket replacement/discount.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity
Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

@BlacKats It's great to see that you've visited the Fitbit Community! Sorry to hear that your Charge is isn't working fine. Try using some compressed air at a distance to see if this helps remove any dirt or debris from the button area on your Charge 2. I really don't know if this can be resolved with a firmware update nor I know when/if one will be available. Regarding the discount you were offered by Support this is applied to the items sold at the Fitbit store and are new devices with its warranty.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

Here is a YouTube video of my issue. At the beginning I'm finishing the 10 second button reset. As you can see it goes right into the issue immediately.

I've removed all the extra screen from the scrolling so it gets "stuck" going between the main screen and turning notifications on/off. This causes the device to vibrate which kills the battery very quickly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BlacKats thank you for posting this video. Sadly there isn't much there can be done. The discount you initially mentioned is for brand new devices from the Fitbit store and the Ionic is now included in that list if you are interested. 

I'll be around!

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

Mine started doing this exact same thing yesterday. Was going to give Fitbit a call but I purchased it in November 2016 and have the Walmart 2yr Protection plan so I guess I will see how that goes.

Best Answer

@Royst81 Welcome to the Fitbit Community! It's great to have you here! Sorry to hear about your Charge showing the same issue. Have you tried restarting it and cleaning the button with compressed air? You can restart your Charge 2 by doing the following:

Plug the charging cable to your computer or UL certified wall adapter.
Align the contacts of the tracker with the charging cable and plug it in making sure it snaps securely.
Your tracker should start charging.
Press the button for 10 to 12 seconds.
You should see your tracker's firmware version and you can now unplug your tracker.

Still check with Walmart what they can do since you have an extended warranty with them.

Let me know how it goes!

Best Answer

My Charge 2, which I have really liked and used 24/7, purchased in December '16 and having worked flawlessly since then until 25 May '18, has developed exactly the same fault described in the opening post by BlacKats: constant vibration, rolling or locked screen, fast battery discharge but still counting steps, heart beat, altitude etc.

The initiation of the fault occurred after I had allowed the Charge 2 battery to completely discharge and upon recharging fully, perhaps merely coincidentally, the fault appeared.

Having read BlacKats detailed analysis and logical attempts to rectify the device, I have also come to the conclusion that the fault seems more like a firmware problem than a systemic hardware malfunction.

My device still operates correctly in the background but the constant vibration and alternating 'notification ON/OFF' locked screen and a discharge cycle of 3 hours is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I diligently carried out all of the suggested methods of correction, one at a time as outlined by the Fitbit gurus on here to no avail.

On one occasion, I connected the Charge 2 to its power supply, enabled the Fitbit app on my PC and Iphone, and left them alone overnight to see if the installation would sort itself out. Curiously and inexplicably, the Charge 2 then behaved normally for nearly two days before reverting to the fault conditions described. Since then, I have tried the same method to attempt a repeat of the short-lived 'cure' but have not experienced any improvement.

So my 17 month old Fitbit is now in the scrap drawer. 120 GBP for a new device, properly and reasonably used and failing after just 17 months is very poor value for money and, IMO, does not represent a fair reflection of fitness for purpose. 

Its a real shame and I echo the original poster's hope that solution to this issue is found because I would not be happy to spend a similar amount for another short-lived 

Fitbit. 

Best Answer

@Slimeroad Welcome! Thanks for being part of our Community! Sorry to hear that your Charge 2 isn't working as intended and thank you for trying the suggestions in this thread. As explained the best thing to do is letting our Support team know about the issue so they can assist you with this. You will get an email from them.

Let me know how it goes!

Best Answer

@Slimeroad, I feel your pain. Thank you for sharing your similar experience. I am hopeful that the more people discuss this the faster it'll be addressed since there doesn't seem to be a real resolution, only temporary fixes.

Fitbit support was willing to give me a discount on selected devices but sadly the new Versa was not included in those devices. I was not willing to spend the $100+ on another Charge 2 which is older and seemingly unsupported technology.

I could perhaps even continue using the device if they provided a way to disable the vibration. That's the killer in this situation because it's annoying and runs down the battery very quickly! 

Best Answer

I am having the same issues and I was offer 25% OFF my next purchase but no rhyme or reason why it happened.

Best Answer

@elephant83 but I'm sure it was only a select list and the new Versa wasn't included in that list, right?

I understand that I was beyond the warranty period. I'm not looking for a free replacement but it's obviously defective if multiple people are having the same issue.

The device technically still works but it is malfunctioning through no fault of my own (I take very good care of my electronics). The least they could do is offer the same/some discount on ALL their products but I was repeatedly told the Versa wasn't eligible for ANY discount.

Best Answer

I am having the same issues as all others and have tried every suggested fix, not getting any results.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I get the 25% off offer?  I am lost without my Charge 2.  As soon as I take it off the charger the notifications begin turning on and off and the battery quickly dies again.  This is very frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner @elephant83 A warm welcome to our Community! Sorry to hear about your Charge 2 not working as it should. 

@SunsetRunner since you already tried the suggestions the best thing to do is letting our Support team know about this. They will review your tracker's data and warranty and will provide options. You will get an email from them.

@elephant83 if your device is outside the warranty period then Support won't be able to replace your device. 

@BlacKats as the Versa is the newest device it is normal that it won't be available for discount. Still the Ionic is now included as an option so I guess it is a matter of time to have the Versa included too (hopefully it won't be too long but I don't have an idea about it).

Let me know how it goes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it didn’t solve the problem but Walmart’s Protection Plan covered it and refunded me for my device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner There has yet to be a definitive resolution for this issue. Did you contact support yet? If you're in the warranty period they will issue you a new one. If not, they typically offer a discount on a selection of new devices. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has also happened to me this week! I have tried resetting the Fitbit charge 2. I even have tried placing it in a bag of uncooked rice to see if it’s a moisture problem. I can’t afford to buy a new Fitbit at the moment and I’ve only had it for 2 years. Has anyone else had any luck in fixing this problem? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

A somewhat belated follow up to endorse Fitbit's customer service.

My original Charge 2 failed as described. Unfortunately, it was not repairable.

After seeking help from Fitbit's customer service team as suggested by the support people hovering around here, I was advised, without any prompting from me, that my UK purchase was supported by a 2 year warranty. It still had about 6 months warranty remaining.

This meant that they were happy to send me a replacement Charge 2 which, astonishingly, I received within 1 week! Amazing service really.

Anyway, since then, the replacement device has worked faultlessly.

Thank you Fitbit. I will definitely put Fitbit at the front when I next upgrade.

Best Answer
0 Votes