Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 for Spin Class

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello! I love my Charge HR and am thinking of upgrading. My biggest issue I have with my current tracker is having to put in on my shoe during spin class to get my steps to count (making the heart rate part not usable then).

With the Charge 2 - will I still have to do that to get my steps to count? Or do the different workout fuctions accurately track everything? On average I get about 4,000 steps in a 45min class.

Thanks!

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

@DJfitt wrote:

With the Charge 2 - will I still have to do that to get my steps to count? Or do the different workout fuctions accurately track everything? On average I get about 4,000 steps in a 45min class.

By design, if you put any wrist based Fitbit into Spin exercise mode, then you will get about 0 (zero) steps. Thats because cycling and spinning isn't a step-based activity. If you want steps, then its time to move your wrist based tracker to the pocket, shoe, or ankle.

For a couple years now, I've been using my iPhone 5s my step tracker, using the Fitbit app's MobileTrack feature. An hour spin class gives me about 9000 steps, as I spin around 80-90rpm. Less steps if I spin slower.

Hope that helps.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! I still think I'll try it out - even if it needs to go on my shoe like the way I do now!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello.  I had the same concern before getting the Charge 2.  What I decided to do is use the large wrist band and put the Charge 2 on my ankle (to track heart rate).  Before I cycle indoors, I turn off the GPS on my iPhone, set the Charge 2 to 'bike' and begin my program.  Afterwards, I take the number of 'steps'  calculated from my ankle and divide them by the number of minutes, which in turn gives me my cadence rate.  My indoor cycle has a built in odometer so I can manually enter my miles on the Fitbit app.

Its a bit cumbersome but it works for me.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I hope this helps!

Good luck 

Best Answer

That's a great idea - since you can change out the bands (and sizes) on the Charge 2!

I like it!!!

Best Answer
I, too, put my Charge on my cycling shoe when I teach spin classes. Now that I just purchased a Charge 2, I want to see what kind of activity I'll get when in the "spinning" mode on the Charge 2! I am anxious to try out the bike mode, too, to see how the steps compare. I want to wear the Charge 2 so I can get my heart rate.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Please keep me posted on how it works for you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ditto - please report back on your experiences with it.

Happy spinning!

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I use my Fitbit for outdoor bike riding - I don't see a biking funcition.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a bike and spinning activity you can set on your Charge 2. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get more steps when I don't set the spinning activity, but the Charge 2 records my spinning class as a walk.

Best Answer

I don't see the spin selection on my Charge 2 Fitbit.  Can you tell me if it's different than the bike.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kermit0276 the spinning activity is different from the bike activity on the Charge 2. In the app, click on account and then your Charge 2. You will see the spinning activity and many more. You can add 7 to see on your Charge 2.

Best Answer

THe difference between spinning and bike is Bike uses GPS by default, spinning doesnt.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Is there a spinning icon I'm missing on my Fitbit?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

You might not be, have you added it yo uour charge 2 device. See this post

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's under the Settings in your Dashboard when using a computer/website.

Keep scrolling down - it will say Execise Shorcuts and then you can edit them.

Looks like this below:

Capture.PNG

Best Answer
Oh my gal...thank you so very much. I did it! I have a class tonight so I'm hoping to see my real stats.

Thanks so very much!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Would love to know the results from your class tonight! 

I just found the spin option, decided to give it a try.. it seemed to track okay (minus not counting the mileage)... I wish there were an option to add mileage/edit it after the fact, as most of the time, our stationary bikes give us mileage (it's even a goal I can set for myself on mine).. so not having it transfer over/edit to add it kind of annoys  me a bit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh noooo! On Saturday I strapped my Fitbit to my shoe string so I would at least get the steps. Ok I'll try it tonight on my wrist and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes