Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 floors count is too high

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Floors are out wildly  I so wanted to love the charge 3,but its turning out to be a bit glitchy  it's not even windy ! 😞

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
121 REPLIES 121

@Divster I hope you're doing well! Thanks for taking the time to report the situation you are experiencing with your Charge 3 tracking too many floors. Thanks for also checking the environmental conditions in your location.

About how many extra floors is your Charge 3 tracking?

There are some other elements that may influence on this. Did you took an elevator or something similar that day? Did you noticed if you were driving at the time they got counted?

I'd recommend performing a restart on your Charge 3 as this has helped other users in the past.

Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

My floor count is also wildly over.

I climbed one flight of steps, walked up a couple single steps and my count is 25 floors. I live in a fairly flat town. I have neither climbed nor driven up any hills.

Best Answer

Today I have earned 7 floors despite having climbed no steps nor climbed any hill.

Best Answer

This morning I climbed 4 floors and my device tracked 21 floors.
How about mixing steps and altimeter to calculate the floor count because it is totally off here.

Best Answer

Since this is a relatively recent report, thought I would report my issues with a Charge 2.

In the last 2-3 days the floor count has gone excessively high. 84 floors today when it should be under 20 (probably more like 10). This seems to have changed within the last couple of days.

I've seen the suggestion to restart the charge so will try that tomorrow.

I assume that fitbit haven't started pushing upgrades to the device?

Best Answer

Today I am up to 15 floors, I did walk up a very small hill, but have climbed no stairs. I haven't driven at all.

I did do a restart after my first report, but it made no noticeable difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I sometimes get floors on my Versa when I'm in the shower or blow drying my hair.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Heather-S wrote:

I sometimes get floors on my Versa when I'm in the shower or blow drying my hair.  

I can understand the blow dryer giving your device extra floors.  Sometimes putting the device near something that vibrates causes it to pick up extra steps.

I'm still puzzled about why you might be getting steps in the shower.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would be willing to bet that it has something to do with the GPS data it gets from your phone. GPS devices not only give location they also give elevation. Typically a flight of stairs is 10 to 12 feet in elevation, so every time your daily movements give you a change in elevation of 10 feet or so your fitness tracker thinks you climbed a "flight" of stairs. My local parks all have walking trails with gentle hills and valleys so I always register quite a few flights of stairs.

Best Answer

My town is pretty flat. When I measured the walk via another app I was told how many yards in elevation the walk included -- it is not many (I may check it another day and maybe walk with a friend and her Charge2 to see what she gets), but I have gotten a floor or two just sitting and standing in my living room and gotten several floors walking on a treadmill.

Best Answer

Yeah, whatever it is, there does seem to be something a little wonky with the flights count. Enough people are complaining about it...let us know what happens when you go exercising with your friend, that will be interesting to see how her charge 2 compares.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had this issue with my Fitbit forever.  I hoped they would fix it with the Charge 3, but no such luck.  Since I live in the mountains, in order to drive to any appointments, I need to drive 20 miles with an elevation change of 3000 feet.  My Charge HR, and now my Charge 3 will count steps and flights of stairs while I am driving. (Monday's trip down the mountain gained me 164 flights of stairs and 15.934 steps)

Then when I am home, it won't count all the stair climbing I do.  For example, yesterday was laundry day.  Four loads of laundry. Two flights of stairs.  Plus other misc. trips from my home office to the kitchen and back.  I would estimate at least 12 trips up the stairs.  But the Fitbit only tracked 7!

Best Answer

The route I walk got me 0-5 floors each day with the C2. Today I got 22 with the C3. I’m hoping an update will fix this issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! Thanks for your continuous participation on this thread regarding the high amount of floors recorded by your Charge 3. Thanks for sharing your experience and help here as well.

Fitbit is currently working to resolve this and hope to have a fix soon. Be sure to keep your Fitbit device and app up-to-date to ensure you receive the quickest resolution.

Also, please check this helpful article for details on some environmental factors that may track extra floors.

I appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track.

Keep me posted! 

Best Answer

Anyone still having problems with the floor counter counting too high?  I just got my Charge 3 last week and notice the same problem.  I spoke with a Fitbit rep on Saturday and we reset my Charge 3 but it's still having the same problem.  It seems to be counting 3x what I've actually climbed.  On Saturday I walked 2 flights of stairs and it shows 6, today I walked one flight and it shows 3.

The rep tried to suggest that wearing the unit too loose or too tight could affect the count.  That's baloney.  I've had 3 previous Fitbits and never had a problem counting the stairs with my Charge or Charge 2.

I'm walking stairs indoors so there is no wind or other environmental factors causing this problem.  

Thanks

Best Answer

@AnnieCharge3 Welcome to the Fitbit forums! Thanks for taking the time to report the situation you are experiencing with your Charge 3 counting too many floors. Thanks for contacting customer support regarding this and for sharing all the details about the steps you tried with them.

I went ahead and contacted you via PM. Please keep an eye on your Community inbox for next steps.

Keep me posted! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also having this issue.  I live and work in a single story building, in a very flat town.  We have no hills here at all.  My tracker will say I have climbed anywhere from 0 - 36 flights in a day.  I can see no rhyme or reason to how it's getting these numbers.

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem.  I have climbed approx 8 floors today and my Charge 3 says 23 floors.  I have had this problem consistently since receiving my  new Charge 3 for Christmas.  The Charge 2 did not have this problem.  I have tried rebooting the device and it does not help.  I am climbing stairs indoors so it is not atmospheric.  By reading all the other posts about the same problem and the moderator responses it really seems as if Fitbit is trying to avoid addressing and taking responsibility for this problem.  It's really, really frustrating for people who are truly interested in meeting their daily Floors goals.  The altimeter is the only reason I don't use my Alta more (which I honestly prefer).  If there is no concerted effort by Fitbit to resolve this problem (which there apparently isn't since I see posts going back to October of last year noting this same problem), then I'm afraid I will have to switch over to the Apple watch.  For me, it's really based in principle - take some responsibility Fitbit, and quit giving stock answers like "rebooting" or "atmospheric", while that may address a few cases, it clearly isn't the bulk of the problem. 

Best Answer
Fitbit sent me a new one.  The new one is better but still off by 1 or 2 floors minimum.  
Email Fitbit to get a new one.  I only had it for 2 weeks so it was under warranty.
Good luck!
Best Answer