Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 update is slow

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got my Charge 3 today, and when I hooked it up via my phone & app, it said there was an update. So it started applying the update....and it's progressing about a percentage per minute. How long is this update supposed to take? Surely Fitbit has figured out how to transfer data faster than this, right? This isn't gigs and gigs worth of an update is it?

Sure, patience isn't my strongest characteristic....but I'm interested in using this thing today sometime. 😛

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
47 REPLIES 47

My family has been using Xiaomi mi band 2 and 3 for the past 2 years.  This week, we received couple of fitbit Charge 3.... and well, one band took about one hour to update.  The second one has been updating the past 2 hours.  First time, it hit 40% and then went back to 1%, and now after another 15 minutes, it it 17%...

Extremely disappointed.  The slow update issue seems to be occurring for the past year and it's concerning that Fitbit engineers are unable to resolve this issue.

Best Answer

I ditched my Charge 3 a few months ago, and got a Garmin vivoactive 3. It just buzzed on my wrist this morning, telling me it was preparing for an update. Then it proceeded to update itself automatically. It took 3 minutes total, from start to finish. I had to do NOTHING. It just did it, and did it quickly. Glad I switched to Garmin every single day.... 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry, Fitbit. Similar positive experience switching to the Samsung Galaxy
fit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I received my new Charge 3 today started the update at 3:30 PM, now its 10 to 6 PM and still updating. Will it ever end? Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

The "Please keep this page open until complete." requirement is totally insane. Trying to find the time and space to keep that open, tapping on the screen every 10-15 seconds, was a terrible experience. 

Best Answer

I just got 2 Charge 3's today and my wife and I are anxious to use them.  After starting the setup procedure on the Fitbit app, it said I needed an update.  No problem, I thought.  Updates usually take just a couple of minutes.  But.....it's been over an hour, and nothing.  No indication whatsoever on the Android app as to status, ETA, percent complete - NOTHING.  It just says "step 2 of 3, Downloading.."  On the device itself is only a very faint line, so faint that I can't tell if it is indicating update status or nothing at all.  This is a terrible first impression of a product; the head of engineering at Fitbit needs to be given one of these and forced to go through this frustrating procedure him or her self.  I managed product development for over 40 years, at several large tech companies - I've never heard of a product that can't update within just a few minutes.  Even products from 40 years ago were faster than this.

Seriously, you need some clear status indication on this process, either on the app or the device.  

Best Answer

Update on prior post - the updating process just continued to hang.  After 2 hrs, with no status shown on watch or app, I reset device and reinstalled the app.  Reconnected to the device, selected update and this time a screen came up with status displayed.  Watch status also displayed.  Update completed in about 30 minutes.  So...the problem was on the original "setup" process in the app which apparently never started the update.  All is well now.

Best Answer
Thank you for updating.
Best Answer
It happened to me, and after hours of researched on how to solve this case.
Took me almost 16 hours 🙂
I read something like to turn off your phone's bluetooth and try to
reconnect your fitbit to you device again.

So i did turn off my phone's bluetooth and waitied for like 2 mins, turn it
back on, and reconnect my new fitbit and voila it really took only less
than 30 minutes to update. Hope it helps. as it helped me.

Maria
Best Answer

Is it supposed to take approximately an hour every morning to download sleep data from the watch to the app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have not updated my Charge3 yet because it has been almost 2 hours, so you have not helped us with anything.  What I suggest it to be transparent with your information, such as: it may take several hours to update so please be patient.  Not this political crap of "it's great to know that you got to update your tracker and that is working properly now. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it." 

Best Answer

I used Xiaomi Band 2 and then Band 4 and found them reliable and easy to use. I bought the Fitbit Charge 3 SE instead of waiting for Band 5 and I have been surprised at the lack of some basic features and generally unreliable software.

The firmware update process today prompted me to post as it first complained that 38% was insufficient charge and then once charged took ages before failing and after a restart again took a very long time before failing again.

As far as I can tell Fitbit are interested in only one thing, selling Premium subscriptions.

Disappointed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Worst part, if you get a phonecall the update restarts....

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree!   I have had my Charge 3 next to my phone all morning (6 hours). The bar only gets to 5 to 10% on Charge 3.  My phone app shows more progress but then a phone call or other notification will halt the update.   I have restarted it 8 times and it looks like it may never happen.  So much for the 30 minutes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

First update after approx a  year of owning the FB3  - similar problems - tried to update 2/3 times each time when i looked it had stopped and invited me to try again - Final time I kept my finger moving occaisionally on the app page on my phone - I had to keep this up for about 35 mins and it woked - (install about as long as download 15+/-)

Assume the app page sleeping and whatever battery saver modes on my phone were interfering - Couldnt be bothered to investigate what phone settings might need to change - have to say not impressed ( Pixel )

Best Answer

This update is way beyond slow - it’s really bad. I’m updating now and it’s really not moving - this is terrible. Bad on FitBit - everyone should have been told in advance so they could have chosen not to update 

Awful CRM 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My charge three is about two years old and I am praying to update without success. I am competing for steps with several others but have tried everything and it still won’t work. I am not certain if it needs to be on the charger all the time as I would like to wear it to track sleep in count steps. Since I started the update nine hours ago it is About 15% and holding.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After 15 hours I am says updating and my phone says about 10%. Help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

MIne took many hours to update the firmware (I left it doing its thing and got on with my life). I took a couple of hours and has not works properly since 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just bought a fitbit Charge 3 today. Wish I would have found this info before shelling out the cash. Over a year later and still a problem? Probably taking this crap back tomorrow.

Best Answer
0 Votes