Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 Stopped Working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Charge 4 stopped dead after 17 months. The diagnostics advised by the support tech were no different from what I'd already tried from these forums. The tech was somewhat condescending in walking through the recommended troubleshooting steps. Insisted on performing steps already tried, and failed to listen to specific concerns (NO green sensor lights flashing as they should be) that might have suggested different steps. When these basic steps did not resolve, he said the matter would be sent up to a higher support level, but what actually happened is it went directly to the automated message "it's no longer under warranty, here's a 35% discount to buy a new one". It feels to me like (even though it was no longer under warranty) complete failure within 17 months of purchase is unacceptable, particularly when it seemed like more targeted effort could have been made to resolve the issue. I suspect had I still been within 12 months (where a failure would have meant a complete replacement), a greater effort to get it running again would have been expended.

From reviewing others' experiences in the forums, this seems to be less helpful than is the norm for Fitbit. When I followed up with this message - within 24 hours - I received another automated reply that my case  had been closed, since "it's been a long time since we heard from you".

Beware, the advice to 'contact tech support' might just get you more automated messages than actual support!

Moderator edit:  updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
67 REPLIES 67

Yep - same for me.  Started a couple of days ago, my Charge 4 barely holding the full charge, and dead by the end of the day.  Last night, nothing but a black screen and the occasional green lights on the back. Not responding to the charge, but the app says it's fully charged... Oh, and it's been around 17 months. What is going on Fitbit?? This is not a coincidence. I feel that if you respond to some people with reset instructions, you need to respond to the rest of us whose Charge 4's, exhibiting the same issues, are suddenly DYING AT THE SAME TIME.  And, it seems they were all purchased or replaced around the same time.  FITBIT, PLEASE GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS.  

Best Answer

Zekeed, I don't expect to hear any different response from Fitbit than what everyone else is getting. do you or anyone else on this feed have recommendations?  I'm sure at the end of the day, they all have their issues - just wondering what other folks are looking at...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have left mine on the charger all night since this began. It responds when I initially charge (vibrate/smiley face) but in the morning it's dead - nothing but sporadic green lights.

I also asked "Zekeed", but do you have any recommendations other than Fitbit?

Best Answer
0 Votes

SheCau, I feel your frustration. Precisely how it went down for me too. Fitbit has concluded a) if it's under 12 months, here's a new one, and b) if it's over 12 months, here's 35% off a replacement . . . . and they're done with you. Take it or leave it, but there will be no further efforts to troubleshoot or resolve. You'll see no further replies from Fitbit to this thread. I have no suggestions for a comparably priced alternative from other manufacturers; so far I have not replaced mine and doubt I will be able to find something suitable.

Zeke

Best Answer

Zekeed, you're right, that's how they do business and could not care any less. Maybe I'll get used to NOT having a Fitbit, even after so many years...
But it is ODD that we are all having the same problem right now.  It's as if they flipped the "off" switch 😕 OR maybe they're turning them off because they're finding the Charge 4 is also getting hot and are nipping it in the bud before they have to replace a discontinued version - who knows! 

Thanks for responding - wishing you the best!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I replaced with the charge 5. I received it yesterday. I wouldn’t bother
with a tracker except our company monitors our fitness toward our wellness
bonus.--
*Grace Jensen*
Best Answer
0 Votes

SheCau and All, regarding some of the follow-up questions after Charge 4 common failure, unfortunately i don't have much to offer.  I tried recommended actions with no success, and mine did an "instant 99% failure" providing very limited ability to diagnose further.  Based on reading here, saw little hope in going to customer support so didn't bother there-don't want another fitbit brand!

I have 2 theories on root cause; either a software updated messed it up so that options were turned on and over-using the battery, OR the battery quality itself is poor and quickly gets to this point of burnout (rather than a graceful shortening of life over years of charge cycles).  Only my thoughts, but I've given up on fitbit, best wishes for others' successful resolutions!

Best Answer

In my follow-up email to Fitbit I told them they should escalate this to their engineering dept since so many people were having this happen. No response. 

My friend has had her Garmin for 3 years so that's what I bought as a replacement. No way am I staying with FitBit after my product stopped working after 14 months. Ridiculous

Best Answer

Surprise... how are so many failing in the same time frame.  Dec 2020, stopped working, black screen today. I charged it but still nothing. I plugged in the charger again and got the smiley face.  Nothing since. Plugged into my pc and looking at my account it shows full (green) battery. Still black screen.

I tired the reset with charger on by pushing the on button 8 seconds. Still black screen. For an unrelated reason I'm not a fan of Fitbit Service.

-----------

that is... purchased Dec 2020, stopped working today June 14, 2022.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine died June 14-15. The last heart rate it recorded was at mid-night.  Screen is dead, lights are off, will not sync and will not restart.   Purchased July 2020.  Strange how they are all dying at the same time.  Done with the Fitbit brand.  

Best Answer

Just called customer service to log my issue which is the same as everyone else. Told the person on the other end that there are many similar complaints on their app forum. She said I was her first call regarding this issue. I will not be purchasing another fitbit if they can't offer better customer service and stand behind their product. 

Best Answer

I chatted with customer service this morning and told them that there were numerous people in the community with the same issue.   Didn’t get anywhere with fixing my charge 4.  They sent an email with the option of buying a new Fitbit with 35% off.  Not wasting anymore money on Fitbit.   Going to look at Garmin and Apple.

Best Answer

Just checking back in one last time to say I absolutely love my Apple Watch SE. with upgrade discount on my phone service it wasn’t really that much more and is vastly superior to you, FitBit. Goodbye.

Best Answer

Same issue. I think we need to escalate this issue as Noone has got a satisfactory solution. 

Best Answer

I will be going that route also!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Doogie T, Is this weird or a random coincidence??? I bought mine Dec 2020, and since Thu 16 Jun 22 my Charge 4 has been playing up too. I've tried everything all the user guides have suggested. Reset in cable cradle (8 sec smiley face), change the clock face, even tried a reboot swiping to "About," when I could. Since Thursday the device has gotten progressively worse to the extent I can't swipe anymore (Sun 19 Jun 22). I still have a clock face, and strangely the device still tracks my activities with the auto detection, through exercise shortcuts, but I wonder how much longer this will keep going.... I feel like the wheels are falling off....

Best Answer
0 Votes
I read on fitbit's website that a typical unit lasts 16-18 months.
My first fitbit lasted 3 years.
I did purchase the Charge 5 a week ago, very disappointed. A charge lasts
less than 24 hours. I don't wear it when I sleep.
I will contact customer service!
Best Answer

My charge 4 is in this age bracket too. Also purchased late 2020….. my battery is not lasting and odd things are occurring. I just put it back in the charger after 2 days of wearing it and it’s dead. I have a bad feeling based on all the comments in this thread. 😢

Best Answer
0 Votes
They offered a 35% discount code for me to purchase. Reading on the forum they are designed to last 18 months. I'd rather spend the few extra bucks and get an apple watch. I've been seeing Apple and their Service Providers offering the 13 free with new accounts. Must be they have a lot of them and need to make room for the 14.

All the Fitbit failures around the same timeframe is 'spooky'... wondering now what could have happened to cause it? No prior forum shows a failure like what is being reported now... something happened and I'm guessing it was pushed out to the watches. It always comes out, employees somewhere know what's going on. When it leaks out they'll come clean and admit to whatever took place. Knowing the security on the watch is vulnerable and connected to my phone, I'd rather not have it replaced even if it was free, much less 35% code.

I pay for Protonmail and their VPN so the price of the Fitbit has become part of my security package... in this case, I won't use Fitbit. Problem solved.

Doug

Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.
Best Answer

Hey Doogie, I think you and FitCraz are on the right track. A few weeks ago, Charge 4 announced a new feature whereby you could monitor for A-fib activity. Not long after that feature launched, mine died as so many others here have described. Coincidence? I suspect when the facts finally come out - as you say - it'll turn out that feature somehow overheated the battery, fried the op system, or something along that line. We will see if I am right AND if they actually eventually 'fess up!

- Zeke

Best Answer