Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 Stopped Working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Charge 4 stopped dead after 17 months. The diagnostics advised by the support tech were no different from what I'd already tried from these forums. The tech was somewhat condescending in walking through the recommended troubleshooting steps. Insisted on performing steps already tried, and failed to listen to specific concerns (NO green sensor lights flashing as they should be) that might have suggested different steps. When these basic steps did not resolve, he said the matter would be sent up to a higher support level, but what actually happened is it went directly to the automated message "it's no longer under warranty, here's a 35% discount to buy a new one". It feels to me like (even though it was no longer under warranty) complete failure within 17 months of purchase is unacceptable, particularly when it seemed like more targeted effort could have been made to resolve the issue. I suspect had I still been within 12 months (where a failure would have meant a complete replacement), a greater effort to get it running again would have been expended.

From reviewing others' experiences in the forums, this seems to be less helpful than is the norm for Fitbit. When I followed up with this message - within 24 hours - I received another automated reply that my case  had been closed, since "it's been a long time since we heard from you".

Beware, the advice to 'contact tech support' might just get you more automated messages than actual support!

Moderator edit:  updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
67 REPLIES 67
You are the one.... I gotta check-in on that with Fitbit and explore holding them accountable. You have the final piece to the puzzle.
Doug

Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.
Best Answer

Like.SO many other on here, I got my Charge 4 in December 2020 and it suddenly stopped working about 2 days ago. The charger won't even recognize it. And it wasn't even low on battery before it died, nor did it give me any known problems. I didn't overcharge it either, I usually waited until the low battery warning came up, or if it was less than half. 

Best Answer

This is terrible. I was thinking about buying a new in box Charge 4 on Craigslist.  I don't think I even want to spend $45 for it to die in 17 months! But now I might wait until prices drop on Charge 5. My Fitbit One is going to have to continue being the little workhorse that it is! Lol.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Zekeed and all,

Sorry to hear all the issues you've had with Fitbit Support, but I actually had a positive one. I called them earlier this week and went through the various checks (8 sec Smiley face, change clock face, etc,....) but after doing those and still not working they offered replacement or discount on new product straight away - no questions asked. I opted replacement and it was delivered the other day. Will see how it goes... hopefully lasts longer than 18 months...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine's a little older than some here - bought May 2020 - but the exact same thing has happened to it since Friday 24 June 2022. Low battery, wouldn't charge - then did charge, but wouldn't synch. Now screen blank + smiley face and vibration on charger and a few vibrations off charger before it's completely unresponsive. Also, as others pointed out, the green/red sensor lights on the reverse are not flashing either when I take the watch off. My son has a Fitbit Ace - he said he was notified that it got an update on Friday - I wondered if that caused the disruption to my Charge 4. I've been really happy with what the Fitbit records and does, but the connection, the charger, the synching have always been rubbish - and I definitely won't buy another one.

Best Answer

Hi Minstroll. Can you tell me how old yours was? It had to be in the under one year old range? Glad it worked out for you!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Like a lot of others on this thread about 18 months old, bought in Dec 2020 and started playing up mid-June 2022, which puts it into the out-of-warranty category. I've commented about it in this thread about a week or so ago.

Fitbit gave me the option of out-of-warranty replacement or discount on new product; they offered, I didn't have to ask. I opted for out-of-warranty replacement which was delivered within about 2 days, hence positive experience!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did not see your post. Did you start a claim on the Fitbit site?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I did file a claim and was told my fitbit is over a year old and no longer covered by the warranty. I was only offered a 35% discount to buy a new one. My fitbit was purchased 12/2020. I feel fitbit should stand behind their product. It should last longer than 18 months.

Best Answer

Apparently minstroll had one replaced and it was the same age past warranty period. Why is one allowed to get a replacement and not others? I got mine for Christmas 2020 so it’s the same age as these here. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cancel my account 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Doogie T. What is the final piece to the puzzle? I feel if they replaced one out of warranty charge 4 they should do all. I’m still only getting a Discount offer. No thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would be leery buying one on CL, or EB, etc. You never know if it was used or for how long. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Koko (and others) –

Actually our experience is perfectly consistent with what one might expect from customer service. If they take care of you well, like MinStroll, the customer is happy and will likely be a customer for life. They went the extra mile and replaced a unit that should’ve lasted longer, even though they technically didn’t have to.

If they ignore you, or apply canned troubleshooting techniques whether or not relevant to your issue, or terminate your claim for inactivity a mere 24 hours after initiation (!), or fail to acknowledge and remedy the likely culprit Doogie and I identified before, or otherwise just generally make you feel unappreciated and not valued, well then those are customers who are likely to go elsewhere (as most of us have). Evidently those are deemed to be “acceptable losses” by Fitbit; they’ve sacrificed satisfied customers to save warranty replacement costs.

Why did they help Min and not the rest of us?! Don’t know, but my hunch is either a) his was the random incident where they chose to go above and beyond (“congratulations, you’re our 1,000th customer with this same problem; you win a free replacement!”), b) he was more polite to the support person than the rest of us (maybe true of ME, but I know the rest of you are nice, quality customers deserving of better!), or possibly c) he spoke with a support rep for whom English is a FIRST language and therefore was better able to clearly communicate his/our issue!  

Just my $0.02. (Probably worth about half that!) So sorry about everyone’s frustrating experiences.

Zeke

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine died 29 Jun 2022. I plugged it to charge and the problem started.  I was a user of Fitbit Charge 1, 2, and 4. I went to Apple Watch and then back to Fitbit  Looks like this will be my last Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I may be wrong but they might have realized that the last update caused all the failures when minStroll reported their problems.  If Fitbit cared, they would go back and offer a replacement to all of us.  

Best Answer

You won't be able to use the discount but look on e-bay and amazon, lots of fitbit 4's being sold. That is what I am doing, I bought the charge 5 and was not impressed, battery ran down quickly and one band kept falling off, so I returned it for a refund.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit offered a 35% discount since mine is beyond the warranty period.  But I think I will be going back to Apple Watch.  I am not impressed with Fitbit Charge 5, seems to have so many complaints about the battery and strap falling off. 

Best Answer

Same here! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I replaced my dead charge 4 with a Garmin Venu Sq. I LOVE IT... so much better health tracking and great features... it sends texts to my watch and tells me when my phone is ringing and it didn't even cost that much more than the FitBit. SO happy I switched and I'll never go back to FitBit. (promise this isn't a plant from Garmin or anything... I'm just really upset about my crappy experience with this product and so happy with my new watch!) 

Best Answer
0 Votes