Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correctly accounting for steps after a timezone change

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello there!  I am a frequent traveller across multiple timezones, and have used fitbit since 2016.

I have an annual step stretch goal which I like to track. It gets screwed up when the reset between time-zones does not work.

Most of the time the timezone change works well (I travel mainly between Europe and Asia), but now for the second time it mis-counts. I noticed when you arrive around midnight and reset the system gets confused. In both cases it actually double counted the steps, it starts the new day with all steps from yesterday as a starting point (breakfast time here in Singapore but I have already clocked 14,595 steps, about 13,000 too many).

Earlier I tried to delete an exercise but that does not reduce the number of steps (as a sort of manual reset). I will now do a day without fitbit in order to be aligned again tomorrow.

Is there a more clever way to fix this, or to avoid this all together?

In advanced settings I have the time zone on automatic.

My earlier Charge 1 did not have the issue (every time zone change there worked well).

Thank you!

Michel 

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

@MichelSGP Welcome! It's good that the community is growing! Sorry to hear that your Charge 2 isn't resetting your steps. This seldom happens but when it does it is usually due to a change in the timezone. Since you are constantly changing time zones this may occur. A restart helps the tracker reset the following midnight when the issue appears but it won't remove the incorrect steps from the account. I suggest you try syncing your tracker when changing time zones until you have reach the last change so it won't be constantly changing the data's time.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This advice did not work for me at all.  I flew from SYD (AEST, UTC+10) to SFO (PDT, UTC-7) today. The flight landed at 6:56 AM PDT, which was almost exactly midnight AEST (11:56 PM).  The flight had crossed the date line.  My tracker was still on AEST (where May 27 was ending), and I did not want to lose any steps.  So, I synced my tracker as near to midnight AEST as I could, and did not get up from my seat until the tracker was synced and showing the time in PDT.  My May 27 step count at that point was 8018.  The Fitbit then dropped back to 1212 (!) steps for today (still May 27 in the PDT timezone).  I went through customs, and while in line at security for my next flight, I got a notification that the tracker had hit 10,000 steps.  However, 20 minutes later, it dropped back to 8526.  The next time I checked it, it was back between 8000 and 8100.  And then I saw it drop back to 7303!  Now, three hours later, it is at 6524.  So my step count for May 27 has been going backwards!  Yet, whenever I have checked my step count for May 26, it has remained constant at 10,667.  So the loss of steps for today is not because some of them are being recategorized as taking place yesterday.

I cannot understand how this behavior can be anything other than a software bug.  Is the raw data available somewhere, so I can figure out how many steps I have really taken?  If not, please consider this a bug report and assign the issue to a developer.

Best Answer
0 Votes