Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory reset Charge 2

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Greetings,

my wife wants a different Fitbit and I am taking her brand new Charge 2. How do I reset to factory settings so that I can use it?

Thanks\

Tor

Best Answer
177 REPLIES 177

Step #5 is within the setup process in the Fitbit app on the phone, it "looks" for the Charge2 via Bluetooth and pairs the two.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Step 5 as you and I say, hwppens during the setup process.

The confusion comes with step 4 where "pair".is mentioned as a step for the user to take. 

The user sets up the tracker to their accoint

Best Answer

Charge 2 Factory Reset 

The only way to do a factory reset on the Charge 2 is via the Fitbit Connect app (for windows) for Fitbit App (on your phone). The original Charge could be reset using just the device whereas Charge 2 this is no longer available and you have to remove the device from your account to do it now.

Factory Reset with Phone App

To factory reset you need to have your Charge 2 close to your phone so that it is connected via bluetooth to your phone. Load the Fitbit App and tap on the FitBit Charge 2 icon at the top right which will take you to the settings page. On the top right is trash can which you tap to remove the Charge 2 from your account. This will then tell the Charge 2 to do a factory reset. After a few minutes your Charge 2 should be showing the screen where it says fitbit.com/setup indicating it has been restored to factory default and able to be setup on a new account. 

Factory Reset with Windows App

To factory reset you need to have your Charge 2 close to your computer so that it is connected via bluetooth to your phone. Load the Fitbit Connect App and click on the FitBit Charge 2 icon at the top right which will take you to the settings page. At the bottom of the page there is a link that says "Remove Charge 2 from your account", select that link to remove the Charge 2 from your account. This will then tell the Charge 2 to do a factory reset. After a few minutes your Charge 2 should be showing the screen where it says fitbit.com/setup indicating it has been restored to factory default and able to be setup on a new account. 

Unable to Setup Charge 2

If you find you cannot setup the Charge 2 because

• Windows or phone does not see Charge 2 device
  • Windows or phone sees Charge 2 but cannot connect

then I found even after trying to do a normal reset of the device (i.e. plugged into charger and holding down the power button on the Charge 2 for 4+ seconds) I was unable to setup the device. I had to remove the App from phone or computer and then reinstall the App and create a brand new account for the setup of the Charge 2. 

Best Answer

@rowatt may I ask where you got this info from?

The Fitbit help site does not give any such instructions.

How do I erase my Fitbit device?

Learn how to wipe information from your device and restore it to factory settings
Best Answer

@Rich_Laue It's from my own investigations that I found the above information. The link you provided works for the original Fitbit Charge but for the Fitbit Charge 2 my instructions is what worked for me.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

That doesnt amswer the question of what the link your investigation brought you to, was it on the Fitbit site or a that Rd party site?

The link I posted to is about how to factory rest the the Ionc and the versa. On the same page is a link on how to factory reset the Charge and Charge HR.

The reason for the Charge and Charge HR to have a factory reset was because if they where setup with a pre Android v4 they could not be setup to a Android v4 or better until the unit was factory reset. Since we are not on Android v8...

The reason I posted this page is because iit also has a link the the old Charge and Charge HR. According to Fitbit, these 4 models along with the Charge 3'are the only Fitbit units with a factory reset.

The reason is that the newer 3 can  store personal data such as credit cards and music.

Best Answer

Yeah... Both the husband and I removed each of our charge 2 devices from our accounts. I've had them sitting around for like two weeks, waiting to see that screen you show in your picture. Not happening here. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry not knowing what picture, or who the you is, @zythia13 I'm not sure what screen your expecting.

I'm also not sure what you want to do, or why the trackers where removed from the accounts  

Best Answer

Hmm. Sorry. I must have replied to a comment incorrectly. Sorry about that!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am now using my sisters Charge 2, how do I set it back to factory settings so I can set it up for me?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner, as mentioned above, there is no factory reset.

Sync the tracker one last time with your sisters account then through the app while you are logged into your account, do an add device.

Best Answer

So, does anyone have suggestions for selling the charge 2 to a complete random stranger on Craigslist? We upgraded, and now have two laying around unused. A Craigslist/eBay buyer can just take it and set it up on their own account, no problem? We don't have to do anything but hand it over? No risk for us?

This would also mean that there's no theft deterrent, too... Finders keepers?

(Why the heck is there no factory reset? Lolol)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes anyone could set up a Fitbit to their account, even if they found it on the side of the road.

Why would there need to be a factory reset of a Charger 2, no personal info is stored on it, only steps counted and theoretical calories burnt. Even this can not be accessed without knowing the log in details of the account holder.

Yes the newer units have a factory reset or the ability to clear data because they are able to store personal data in some third party apps and a credit card for Fitbit pay.

Best Answer

I’m giving my Charge 2 to someone else, so want to remove any data from it so they can use it.  Currently my name appears on the screen.  How do I un-sync my info from the Charge 2 to allow another user to use it and not have my data on it?  Thanks so much

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Erica1234 it sounds like yotu have set a greeting up.

How do I change my tracker's greeting?

Change the greeting on your Alta series, Charge series, or One tracker.

As for personal data, their is no personal data stored on the Charge 2  and a simple last sync before handing the tracker over to your friend is all that is needed.

This sync will clear your last step count from the tracker.

Apon your friend setting up the tracker, the BMR and user settings will be set to the new users specs as setup by them. 

At this time they would want to change this greeting.

Best Answer

What if I did that but it come up with the setup thing it just stayed the samd

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Hana2005  a factory reset is designed to being a device back to the factory settings. In the case of a Fitbit tracker, you should then see the setup message.

This means that the Charge 2 will need to be setup as if it is a new device and this reset has removed the Charge 2 from your Fitbit account.

Best Answer

Hi Everybody! 

There isn't a factory reset for Charge 2. This process is only available for Charge HR and some of the newer devices (Ace 2, Inspire series, Charge 3, Ionic and Versa).

You can check the official documentation in these 2 articles (Article 1 & Article 2)

Since there ins't a Factory reset for Charge 2, I'll be closing this thread.

Thanks for your participation!

Selma | Community Moderator, Fitbit
Best Answer