Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fat Burn Zone??

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I am wondering how long other people are in "The Fat Burn Zone" on average per day? I am in the "Fat Burn Zone" on average 9-12 HOURS every day.....every day. Is this normal? What are others averages?
Best Answer
0 Votes
27 REPLIES 27

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @TinaLo Woman Very Happy, hope you're doing great today! I'd recommend taking a look at this discussion shared by my friend @SantiR, where he's explaining about being in the fat burn zone. 

Happy stepping!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Fitbit has standard fat burn, cardio, and peak zones that are the exact same for every user. There is no way to change them which means that Fitbit's fat burn zone is not necessarily your actual fat burn zone. Your situation typically appears when you have a higher heart rate than normal. Back when my resting heart rate was around 90bpm, I was in the "fat burn" zone for 7-9 hours each day. But I didn't work out back then so I know I wasn't actually in my personal fat burn zone.

Until Fitbit gives you the option to adjust your zones, you can mostly ignore this and just keep an eye on your heart rate levels. As long as they're accurate, then your calorie count and other data should still be accurate. 

Best Answer

@kalimm wrote:

Fitbit has standard fat burn, cardio, and peak zones that are the exact same for every user. There is no way to change them which means that Fitbit's fat burn zone is not necessarily your actual fat burn zone. Your situation typically appears when you have a higher heart rate than normal. Back when my resting heart rate was around 90bpm, I was in the "fat burn" zone for 7-9 hours each day. But I didn't work out back then so I know I wasn't actually in my personal fat burn zone.

Until Fitbit gives you the option to adjust your zones, you can mostly ignore this and just keep an eye on your heart rate levels. As long as they're accurate, then your calorie count and other data should still be accurate. 

Heart rate zones based upon the old and widely discredited 220-age formula are pretty silly.  Some folks, such as the one in the above example with an RHR of 90 BPM will hover in the "fat burn zone" for much of the day.  Then again, some of us with a very low RHR will be working out at a pretty high exertion level and barely crack into the so called "fat burn zone".  While I'm on my soap box, I have yet to come across any compelling science which shows the various zones are nothing but noise.  Said another way, exercise is exercise, and calorie burn is calorie burn; the faster/harder you go, the faster you burn.

Anybody out there have a link which supports the whole notion of zones and which provides any firm basis for 220-age (beyond the American Heart Association simply publishing the formula)?

Best Answer

I think the 220-age formula isn't necessarily a problem. You just have to take it for what it is - an estimation. For those who don't know their zones, it's a decent estimation to get the average person started. But once you start working out more and find out what you're capable of, it would be nice for Fitbit to allow us to change the labels when a custom zone is entered. Of course, you also have to remember that with anything that pertains to body physiology, there's no one formula that can be generalized for everyone as we're all so different. 

The difference in the zones is the difference in what your body is burning as you work out. In a very general sense, yes exercise is exercise. But it depends on your ultimate goal. If you do cardio at too high of an intensity for too long, it won't be as effective because you'll burn mostly sugars instead of fat. More calories burned does directly correlate to more weight loss. Just as there are good and bad calories to intake (a 750 calorie Big Mac is far from equal to 750 calories of chicken and vegetables), there are also good and bad calories to be burned.

Best Answer

@kalimm wrote:

I think the 220-age formula isn't necessarily a problem. You just have to take it for what it is - an estimation. For those who don't know their zones, it's a decent estimation to get the average person started. But once you start working out more and find out what you're capable of, it would be nice for Fitbit to allow us to change the labels when a custom zone is entered. Of course, you also have to remember that with anything that pertains to body physiology, there's no one formula that can be generalized for everyone as we're all so different. 

The difference in the zones is the difference in what your body is burning as you work out. In a very general sense, yes exercise is exercise. But it depends on your ultimate goal. If you do cardio at too high of an intensity for too long, it won't be as effective because you'll burn mostly sugars instead of fat. More calories burned does directly correlate to more weight loss. Just as there are good and bad calories to intake (a 750 calorie Big Mac is far from equal to 750 calories of chicken and vegetables), there are also good and bad calories to be burned.

I guess I must disagree with you regarding the 220-age issue; it is bandied about as gospel which many-many folks swear by and which the Fitbit folks use as a pretty hard and fast rule for their trackers with a heart rate monitor.  The net result of the adherence to the "rule" is many folks aren't working out hard enough, while others are working out too hard.  Heck, this thread wouldn't even exist were it not for these poorly thought out zones.  That's a pretty significant issue in my book.

As for burning sugar versus fat in the various zones, I've looked and looked and never found any compelling science to support that notion.  The only thing I've come across even remotely in line with this is for marathon runners (not exactly Fitbit's target customer for most of their trackers).

Within the distance running community there is a growing awareness of the role mitochondria plays in fueling the muscles during a marathon or other very long endurance event.  Basically, the more developed one's mitochondria, the better one can perform in such an event.  Said another way, those with very well developed mitochondria will hit "the wall" either later in the race or not at all compared to those less developed.  "So," you ask, "what does mitochondria have to do with the current discussion?"

Muscles can be fed with pure glucose, or a combination of glucose and fats provided by the mitochondria; the more developed the mitochondria, the longer one can run without exhausting supplies of glucose.  The thing is, studies have shown the development of mitochondria requires at least one (preferably two or three) run(s) of at least 90 minutes per week; no mention of pace or "heart rate zone" need apply, just the duration.  Said another way, a 90 minute run in the "Peak Zone" (supposedly impossible based on the common usage of the whole zone theory, but easily possible for many) is just as good as a 90 minute run in the "Cardio Zone".

If you have a link to any compelling science which supports the whole zone theory, I'd love to see it.

Best Answer

I suppose it depends on who you talk to. I've yet to meet anone who swears by the 220-age rule. Even if you look up the history of the formula, it states that it was created as a baseline not as a final answer for everyone. If it is portrayed as "gospel" then I see that as a problem with the people who use it rather than with the formula itself. As I said, it's something to get you started. It's a base estimation until you learn how your body handles cardio. 

I'll have to see what I can find and get back to you. In the mean time, I'd love to see which studies you're referring to.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I average around 5 hours a day in fat burn and 1/2 hour in cardio. Sometimes I hit peak for a few minutes even when not working out. I tend to have a faster heartbeat during the day but my resting is 65. I hope that helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm almost always in the fat burn zone even when I'm breathing very hard. I don't get it either. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in the "Exercise Zone" for 5-14 hours per day, but I'm I haven't been exercising.  I was researching on whether that was normal.  My reating heart rate is 72-75 on average and I'm 5'5, 125 lbs.  On average I get around 7000 steps per day, sometimes more and sometimes a little less.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Angel06 wrote:

I'm in the "Exercise Zone" for 5-14 hours per day, but I'm I haven't been exercising.  I was researching on whether that was normal.  My resting heart rate is 72-75 on average and I'm 5'5, 125 lbs.  On average I get around 7000 steps per day, sometimes more and sometimes a little less.

The thing is, the calculation for the "zones" is HIGHLY flawed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is your resting heart rate?

7-9 hours sound like a lot but not if it means your are active. What are your daily steps?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cindydog, to whom are you responding?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Crazy me! I don't remember the name to whom I was responding. I was responding to someone who asked a question about how long is healthy to be in fat burn zone. I am not in the habit of responding to these things and I probably did it incorrectly. Oh well!

Best Answer
0 Votes

National Academy of Sports and Medicine is a great source of information for any exercise questions people may have.  Being in an Exercise and Sports Scienve degree program we use their information quite regularly.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

No you did it right. You answered the question, of the person who asked the question. The person who said they are going in fat burn zone 7-9 hours a day and asked if that was healthy. —-The person who replied to you just wished you were responding to them because I think they may need the attention, so they tried to turn it into their post and make it about them. It was clear who you responded too. 

Best Answer

Fitbit needs to fix this, I'm in fat burn all the time as I have tachycardia, yes I aorealr see a cardiologist, but it's adding in like 600 calories for exercise a day and most days I don't leave the couch, let alone the house. LMAO. This is not correct calorie counting. 

Best Answer

I have the same issue with tachycardia.   Then my calories burned in a day are so high.  I really wish you could adjust the heart rate ranges to get better data. 

Best Answer

I am heading to see a cardiologist this week for tachycardia. I was diagnosed in the ER last week. It seems that my heart rate is usually high even when I am just getting dressed or sitting. My resting heart rate is 79. I am associating mine to stress. How do you manage it? 

Best Answer

How do you manage it? 

Best Answer
0 Votes