Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 2 will not pair after updates

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After a recent update, my Charge 2 will not sync with my Pixel 2XL phone. I have tried the following recommended steps:

• Log out of my Fitbit App, log back in
  • Force quit the App
  • Uninstall the app and reinstall
  • Restart my fitbit
  • Turn off the Bluetooth and turn it back on
  • Shut off my phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes
  • Turn off the Bluetooth and turn it back on
  • Log back into your Fitbit App
  • Restart the fitBit by connecting the charger and holding down the button for 4+ seconds, until you see the fitbit logo

The Charge 2 seems to be working perfectly fine on it's own; it records steps and heartbeat, it just won't sync with the app on my phone. After initiating a fresh device sync from the app on my phone, the charge 2 will display a 4 digit code (signifying to me that there is a valid bluetooth communication happening - so I ruled out a bluetooth connectivity issue). After entering the 4 digit code on the fitbit app on my phone, I get a message stating that setup failed. The same thing happens over and over again. 

Are there any other things I should try to get the watch to sync to my phone again? Could this be related to a software bug?

Edited 11/12/2020 for clarity. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
53 REPLIES 53

@EowynCarter Yes, I am also on android 11. With no luck yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AndreaFitbit and everyone in the thread, support said:

"We're more that willing to assist you fix the issues you're experiencing. However, all possible troubleshooting steps are already provided, thus we can no longer resolve the syncing issue. That is the reason why we've checked your warranty status and offer the discount. "

Since my fitbit is 2 years old, it is not under warranty. And sounds like fitbit has no idea what is going on, since there are not anymore troubleshooting tips they can offer.

Also, the discount they offered only works on the Versa 2, which is currently $180 (About $150 after the coupon). It cheaper to just buy a new Charge 2. Rendering the coupon useless for me.

@andreafitbit thanks for your support here, but are there any other efforts being made to investigate this issue that is happening to multiple people, after following all the provided troubleshooting steps? 

Moderator edit: content 

Best Answer

I second what fgw said. My fitbit is fine. It pairs ok with iPad and PC.

Something is off with the android app.

Also, if I buy a replacement in the current state of affairs, it will not be a fitbit. 

Best Answer
It would be good if Fitbit would declare their android app as being sound,then owners could pursue other avenues knowing that at least the foundation of their unit is good.
How about it Mr Fitbit???

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Explain why faulty fitbit works with the iPad and PC then...

It's a software issue, not hardware. 

Best Answer

@AndreaFitbit I am able to sync a Charge 4 with my phone.

That means there is an issue with the Charge 2.

Best Answer
If Fitbit have not got a devious obsolescence policy, they should go public to this forum and confirm that the pairing set up is bug free

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

@AndreaFitbit Customer Support could not help via email. Twitter was a dead end. Sounds like everyone having this issue is just out of luck?

Are there any plans to provide software support for the Charge 2?

Has this issue been reported to your development team? Or is this a feature, not a bug?

Best Answer

This is the exact same thing happening with mine! It was working fine until the first week of November and now I can't get it to connect at all! I've tried everything suggested. Tried unpairing, reinstalling app, resetting multiple times, now I've tried to pair to computer to see if it was my phone and it won't connect either. It's like my phone can find it but my Fitbit isn't responding back to the phone. I can get the 4 digit number and never get past that. Very frustrating!

Best Answer

Yup.  Happened to me and I tried it so many times without success that now my Charge2 screen is blank, so now I have 2 issues.  Can't pair and can't see my screen at all.  I have read that it seems to pair with Apple products which would indicate a software problem with the APP.  This is not helpful of course cause many of us are using Android devices and do not own Apple products.  I believe Fitbit should be reviewing this issue and correcting the APP software.

Very frustrating indeed and more frustrating that there is nothing being done.

Best Answer

@SteveJones For what it's worth, I'm going to be posting on twitter to get more visibility on this issue, since this forum seems to be a dead end at this point. If anyone else is also experiencing this issue, please post on twitter also (if you are able to), hopefully that will allow this issue to get more traction.

It's super frustrating that fitBit will not support their software bugs after the 1 year warranty is over (or at least admit there is a problem..)

Best Answer

I agree with you.  It should be noted that Fitbit has taken down most of my unflattering posts and replies over the last 3 days, so yes we should be posting to other social media outlets and other forums that are not controlled by Fitbit.  In the old days they called that 'censorship'.

Best Answer

@SteveJones my initial post was also removed. So, I'm trying to be as unbiased/neutral as possible here. 

Best Answer

I have the same issue, it just started a few days ago. Also tried to sync on the desktop app. Is Charge 2 being phased out? I am a premium member - I would like to be able to use my device.

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue here as well. I have a Google Pixel 3a so it must be some compatibility issue now after the update.

Best Answer

I have a 3A also but mine started before a big update and continued even after update and reinstalling app. But still possible Pixel and Fitbit are having issues. 

Best Answer

@AndreaFitbit, any update here? I havnt heard back on my last question, so I'll ask again:

Are there any plans to provide software support for the Charge 2?

Has this issue been reported to your development team? Or is this a feature, not a bug?

Best Answer

I too am having issues getting my Charge 2 to sync with my Pixel 2XL.  This started at the beginning of the month, though I have had intermittent syncing issues as long as I've had the watch, as well as with my Charge HR before that.  Conversely, my Versa 2 doesn't have near as many syncing issues (which may be helped by the fact you can easily reboot it without the charger).  I have uninstalled the app, rebooted both my phone and the device multiple times, disabled and re-enabled Bluetooth from my phone, etc.  I also attempted to sync from my PC today, without luck.  It looks like it did manage to sync at some point Sunday evening, but not while I was manually trying.  I cannot remove the device from my account without losing the data on the device and that is something unacceptable, as I use my trackers to track my heartrate for my cardiology team.  There seems to be a "USB Recovery" option in the PC app now, but I can't seem to find any information on what this does.  Support, please address these issues, your Twitter team was very unhelpful.

Best Answer
Whatever Fitbit have included in their update, if you want to progress you may have to sacrifice your data and move from your device

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was considering it, but no longer. If they dont fix, guess i'll go back to some good old watch.

Soooo.

I see lots of pixel around here.

Anyone NOT on android 11 ? Coudn't someting on android 11 be the source of the breakage ?

Best Answer