Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 2 will not pair after updates

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After a recent update, my Charge 2 will not sync with my Pixel 2XL phone. I have tried the following recommended steps:

• Log out of my Fitbit App, log back in
  • Force quit the App
  • Uninstall the app and reinstall
  • Restart my fitbit
  • Turn off the Bluetooth and turn it back on
  • Shut off my phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes
  • Turn off the Bluetooth and turn it back on
  • Log back into your Fitbit App
  • Restart the fitBit by connecting the charger and holding down the button for 4+ seconds, until you see the fitbit logo

The Charge 2 seems to be working perfectly fine on it's own; it records steps and heartbeat, it just won't sync with the app on my phone. After initiating a fresh device sync from the app on my phone, the charge 2 will display a 4 digit code (signifying to me that there is a valid bluetooth communication happening - so I ruled out a bluetooth connectivity issue). After entering the 4 digit code on the fitbit app on my phone, I get a message stating that setup failed. The same thing happens over and over again. 

Are there any other things I should try to get the watch to sync to my phone again? Could this be related to a software bug?

Edited 11/12/2020 for clarity. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
53 REPLIES 53

It would have been nice to hear from Fitbit as to whether they were investigating or working on this issue, but it appears they are not interested in supporting the older devices, kind of like Apple was doing and basically forcing you to purchase a newer device.  In my opinion a device which cost me about $130 at the time should last more than 2 years and although glitches are going to happen, there needs to be a clearer path for resolution from Fitbit.   This may in time lead to their downfall.

Although my Charge 2 is still sitting there, dead on my desk because I really did like it, I've already moved onto another smart watch that cost me $46 CDN on Amazon that works just as well or better.  I won't be putting out $150 for a device that I have little confidence will last more than the guarantee period.

Best Answer

Small update: Twitter support got back to me again.  Seems there is a specific issue with Pixel phones and the non-smart device trackers.  So they have acknowledged it and confirmed they are working on it at least.  My Charge 2 managed to sync again at some point after my manual attempts, though I don't know what changed either time it happened.  Hopefully we see a fix soon.

Best Answer

Nice.  That is great news and I am hopeful that the patch will be available soon to all users.

Best Answer

I think my reply was deleted. I am having this issue as well, and didn't have any luck pairing with a windows 7 box with onboard bluetooth either. Twitter customer support told me they are working on it, but this has been an issue for 3+ months. I'm very confused, because if this is a software issue and it was working, why not revert? Hmmmmmm.

Best Answer

This started for me in August, after an update to the Fitbit app. No sync, unable to pair,  I have a sony Xperia 10, with Android 10 on it.

The reply I got when chatting with Nikki on the fitbit supportchat, finally ended up with "Sorry, nothing more we can do. Your phone is not on the list of supported devices".

Paired fine with my Macbook Air, with Catalina, now I updated to Big Sur and the Fitbit  app for Mac cant find the bluetooth dongle, the software is almost 2 years old!

Best Answer

I talked to Fitbit tech support before thanksgiving and they told me it is a known bug and they have no idea when it will be fixed. “Whenever they get around to it with the next software update” is what they told me.

Best Answer

Having the same issue, this combo is not extremely common (Pixel 2XL phone & Charge 2). Seeing the number of reported problems and knowing my IT troubleshooting background, it was probably an update or combination of updates that made our devices act outside the normal operating parameters. The bottom line my device doesn't work properly and I used it to mainly track my sleep. Please help! 

Best Answer
I used to to use it also for text messages and if somebody called me and my phone wasn't on me but close enough for my fitbit to go off and now it doesn't do either. The Fitbit tech support people told me it was a known issue and have no idea when or if it will ever be fixed. So far it has been 4 weeks since I contacted them and still not fixed.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer

My Charge 2 turned off the screen right after I started the update, and it doesn’t turn back on at all. I tried the connect USB and for seconds procedure, but it did not work. I need help!!

Best Answer

Four* seconds method did not work

Best Answer

My Charge 2 has been sitting and waiting for the answer. 

Best Answer

Fitbit just got acquired by Google - this is so totally never getting fixed. Although, you have to laugh that a 'google' tracker doesn't work with a google phone.

Also not sure if anybody else has heard of it, but the Garmin Vivosport looks pretty great.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is ironic my Google Pixel doesn't pair with a Google Fitbit.
Mark

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer

Still nothing on this! My fitbit is progressively getting less and less accurate as a watch as well. 🙂

Best Answer