Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 4 GPS disconnecting

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The GPS on my charge 4 is now disconnecting EVERY SINGLE TIME I exercise. Around the 10-12 minute mark, I get a notification on my tracker saying it can't establish a GPS connection and it's now disconnected. This is ridiculous!

Yes, I make sure I'm connected to GPS before I start, I installed the lasted firmware update, I've restarted the Fitbit, no call/text notifications come through whilst I'm exercising, I exercise in a suburban area, no tall buildings or obstructions.........What is going on? Why is my GPS constantly dropping?

I bought the Charge 4 for this feature, which is now essentially useless. Please advise ASAP when this will be fixed. I can see from other posts, the issue is not unique to me. It's unacceptable.

Kate
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Someone did mention that Fitbit is aware of the issue. You may want to switch to In-Phone GPS setting which for my case it did temporary solve the issue.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
50 REPLIES 50

Someone did mention that Fitbit is aware of the issue. You may want to switch to In-Phone GPS setting which for my case it did temporary solve the issue.

Best Answer

I am experiencing the same behaviour, it is extremely frustrating.
I really hope that they fix this quickly

Best Answer

Will switch to the app GPS for now, but we shouldn't have to do that. Frustrating!

Best Answer

This exact scenarios happens to me now every run also. It started last Tuesday July 28th. Exactly as described, gps just stops after 10 minutes. Every time. Extremely frustrating. I bought this tracker because I don’t want to Bring my phone with me. Please help!!

Best Answer

@JeffRudolph Yep, my GPS issues started on the 29th, and it's dropped every day since.

A couple more workarounds I've tried with no success:

• Device reboot (again)
  • GPS low power mode (exercised with it on AND off)
  • GPS is set to dynamic

Still drops GPS connection @Fitbit 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Mine is now only working with phone GPS, but it lags behind what the phone says for distance.

Not to mention that having to use the phone defeats the purpose of having a device with built-in GPS.

Best Answer

More tests this morning, yesterday i rebooting my charg 4, also wiped user data.  From what I can tell the on tracker GPS is completely not working.  No matter what options i try, it never connects except when i use dynamic mode, and it connects through my phone.  But I leave my phone home when I run. 

Does anyone have the instructions and older firmwares so we can roll back? I'm convinced my GPS functionality has been turned off somehow and needs to be turned back on.  Perhaps a factory reset would also do it.  I cant' figure out how to do that either.  Thanks.

Best Answer

I’m having this problem to. It takes absolutely ages to connect, meaning I’m stood outside for ages waiting for the bloody thing to connect so I can run, so I’ve started just heading out before it’s connected. About 10 minutes in I get a message saying it’s lost connection. It’s about as useful as a stopwatch at this point. Customer support says they’re “aware of the issue” but nothing seems to be getting done to fix it. Can’t see my route or get my split pace. Overpriced crap and they should change their name to **ahem**Bit. 

Best Answer

I recently bought this thing for the specific purpose of using the gps. It logged 2/3 of a run that I did the same day I bought it (July 27), and hasn't worked since. I think it was after the software update that I was offered 48 hours later that enabled the spotify app for me.

I was thinking of trying to exchange the tracker, but if this is a common problem, I guess I will not get a new one and just try to get a refund. 

Best Answer

I bought mine on the 01 June so I'm out of warranty, but after speaking again to customer support yesterday they are allowing me to return it. I gave it one last try today on a hike, stood outside and set up the exercise. The device said "connecting" but I didn't get a buzz to say it had connected. I set up Strava at the same time and had no problems, which tells me it's FitBits software issue. If you are considering a refund, you can get a Mi Band for £35 which had up to two weeks battery life. Only thing it doesn't have is GPS but at this point I really don't care any more 😂

Best Answer

My GPS worked today. It didn't disconnect once. Full map, pace and heart zone tracking. 🤞 for tomorrow. 

P.s. I didn't do anything to push this change.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The same for me, I did a ~1hr30m run yesterday without any issues. Let's
hope this trend continues!
Best Answer

Well i just did a run today and it disconnected after 16 minutes in, so i don't know

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tracker Gps worked for me yesterday for the first time in over a week. The only thing different was I was at 96% battery, and I had let it charge overnight to a full 100%.  Using default gps settings (per the default gps setting option under gps settings).  Perhaps the starting battery has more to do with it than I thought?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Jeff, I feel your pain. I’m on my second C4 watch (after thinking I had a faulty one) but the same problem exists with this one.

There is obviously an issue with the gps connectivity.  To my mind it is not fit for purpose and I am going to return it and ask for a refund.

I do not want to carry my phone with me when i run. I thought the C4 was the answer but sadly not.

Exactly the same problem. I am sending mine back. Useless.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using the phone GPS connection to my charge 4 and still have this issue. The GPS signal on my phone is fine (as evidenced by my Strava log) but the connection to the Charge 4 drops. Happens regularly for me

Best Answer

I am in the same situation of @Proflutzy .  A tracker that doesn’t track is certainly not the best. Hope in a fixing soon!

Best Answer
0 Votes

unfortunately, I was biking while connected to my phone and it still disconnected, I have had this watch for three daysm THREE! and neither the sleep tracking nor the GPS work... I literally read a bunch of articles before investing in this and it really makes me wonder if this one is so crappy how are the other ones since FB4 had "the best" reviews...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought this watch because i read the GPS was good and the watch itself looked good, if i had known it was gonna be this bad i would have stick to the one I got my bf, Garmin forerunner s45, might not be the best looking but at least it doesn't disconnect when you are running / biking.

Best Answer
0 Votes