Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge battery problems

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Dont charge your Fitbit with a wall charger!!!!!!! I bought my first Fitbit charge in mid February....after the first day or 2 of using it, the battery would last no more than 2 days. I contacted support, and they were pretty helpful and sent me a replacement within a few days. That second Fitbit had the same issue right when I got it...battery would last no more than 2 days even though Fitbit claims it lasts 5-7 days. And this was after turning off all the "extra" features... (Quick view, alarm, caller ID, etc). I contacted Fitbit again, notified them of the issue and again, they were helpful and sent another replacement (which I'm greatful for..great job to Fitbit for your customer service..it's excellent). When talking to customer support for the second time, I specifically asked them whether it was ok to charge Fitbit with a wall charger instead of though usb. Customer service assured me that as long as the wall charger was not a knock off it would be fine (I was using the wall charging block that came stock with my iPhone 6). I'm now on my 3rd Fitbit, and with this one I ONLY charge it with my computer, and it still works fine after nearly a month. My battery lasts about 7 days as of now. if you are having battery issues and get a replacement, I would recommend you only charge it with the usb cord and your computer and not using a wall charger. And Fitbit...I think you guys need to do some more research and see whether or not using wall chargers negatively affect the Fitbit battery and fix the issue if it does. Even though you say it doesn't, based on the 3 fitbits I've had since mid February, I'd say it does. It is so much more convenient to be able to charge with a wall charger instead of a computer, but not if it ruins the Fitbit!! But overall, very pleased with the product and their customer support

Moderator edit:  format and label. 

Best Answer
148 REPLIES 148

"Customer service assured me that as long as the wall charger was not a knock off "

A knock off what?  Charge3 doesn't even come with a charger, just a cable. Do others come with one?  What kind of charger is acceptable?  A properly designed USB device should work in any standard USB charger without any issues. Having to use a computer is a ridiculous requirement. 

Which fitbit do you have and which model iPhone did you use the charger from?

Update

Well engineered devices should be damaged by a USB charger.  Even more ridiculous since no charger is provided with the device.

@SantiFitbit wrote:

which if excessive over time may damage the battery and therefore cause quick battery drain or prevent the tracker from charging at all. 

Update

@Wolflead6 wrote:

You said "What may actually cause damage to the tracker's battery (either on a computer or a wall adapter) is the charging time, which if excessive over time may damage the battery and therefore cause quick battery drain or prevent the tracker from charging at all. "  

What is considered excessive charging time? Overnight?  4hrs?  3days?

Wow. I misread this the first time, I thought he said the device can't deal with a charger that's too powerful, but now I see he meant it doesn't stop charging automatically?  The vast majority of modern battery powered devices automatically stop charing when full to prevent this kind of damaged.  This is just a very poorly designed device if leaving it plugged in too long fries it.  Could you imagine if you forgot your iPhone on the charger for too and it just fried the device?!  Or your laptop?

Update

@DorisLove wrote:

My Fitbit came w a wall charger, I have only used that one.

My daughter also has the same Fitbit, same charger, she only uses that wall charger, and no problems...

At the beginning it was keeping charge f 4-5 days....

I came back from vacation and had not worn it for 5 weeks.

It was totally drained, I charged it, lasted only a few hours. I guess it's time f a new one.

Earlier in this thread the guy said they recommend only the computer not the wall plug. Does this mean they recommend against use of their own charger?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for stopping by @CreolePaula and @LThdwYm4Fitbit is always reviewing your responses to provide feedback to our product development team.

@CreolePaula, if you already contacted customer support; I'd recommend keep replying to them. They can gather more information and provide you with different solutions to get you back on track.

Thanks for reaching out the Forums to share your experience with Fitbit. @LThdwYm4, I couldn't find any contact between support and you. Can you please send me your email address in a PM to check with support please. In the meantime we really appreciate your time and your patience.

For more details about battery's behavior and charging I recommend you to check this articles: How do I charge my Fitbit device? and  Can I improve my Fitbit device's battery life?

Feel free to keep adding your comments and updates in case that you notice something different in this app.

Keep me posted!

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer

Hi!, I've read some of the comments/posts here and still my fitbit alta hr he displays an empty battery with an exclamation point. The item is new and was delivered yesterday at work (Feb 8, 2019 here in the Philippines). Upon opening the package I tried tapping on the watch's monitor and since there was no response I plugged it to my PC using the charger that came with it. I read that it takes about 2 hours to charge it, but before the 2 hours was up I tapped on it and a full battery was showing, so I was really excited and thought I can use it then. But when the 2 hours were up and I tapped its surface again the empty batt with exclamation point appeared. So I was confused and surprised, but since that was the display I decided to charge it again, but after an hour the exclamation appeared again and so on until the next 2 hours. What must be the problem with the device? Hope you have an idea. The Fitbit company that sold the item replied to my query yesterday and they sent an auto-generated reply saying they can't answer coz they are open up to 5-6 pm only I think and that they are close on weekends. So. . . I am now relying on online reviews and this community.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Return the fitbit and get a new one. This shouldn't happen.

Moderator edit: Removed personal information.

Best Answer
It's an actual Fitbit 2 charger from Best Buy. In the original package. I think it's a battery issue. The more I have researched this online der appears to be a battery issue with charge 2.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have noticed that my battery is not lasting as long as it's supposed to today on trying to charge it cuz it's a low battery and it's still not working I have pressed the button on the charging cable and it's not doing anything can someone please help me out

Best Answer
I'm no expert on this but have had issues of my own with charging. The way I understand is that the devices don't seem to have an auto shut off once the device is fully charged. Therefore leaving it on longer could damage them. Once my device indicates fully charged, regardless of how long it takes, (usually half to one hour) I disconnect it from the charging point. Doing this my Fitbit Blaze will work for 3 or 4 days before needing another charge.Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer

How you doing @pamsie@CreolePaula and @RobHock? @7elicec and @LDJurgensen thanks for joining this family, hope you like what find here!

@7elicecI couldn't find any case with our Customer Support team. Can you please send me your email address in a PM to check please. 

@CreolePaulaI just confirmed with our Support team that your case has been treated last month. If you still having doubts the best it's to contact them again for further assistance with this.Cat Wink

@LDJurgensen and @RobHock, please take into account the length of time your Fitbit device operates on a full charge depends on how frequently you use it and various settings. This article provides battery life estimates and tips for turning off features you don't need when you want to prioritize battery life: Can I improve my Fitbit device's battery life?

We're sorry for any inconvenience it's caused. Please let us know if there's anything we may do to assist you in the meantime.

Best Answer

>> which if excessive over time may damage the battery and therefore cause quick battery drain or prevent the tracker from charging at all. 

How is that possible? Doesn't these battery come with battery gauge? If not, don't you have an external battery IC? I am surprised that you say excessive charging can cause battery damage as it is a solved problem in the firmware/hardware. Since you dont ship the watch with a wall charger, arent you supposed to handle excessive charging problem through protection circuit inside the watch? What sort of engineering is done in fitbit? Seriously!

Best Answer

Hi @subashp, thanks for stopping by!

Please take into account that the reply that you're referring to is from 2016. Fitbit is constantly working to improve and due to this, you're able to leave your tracker charging and it shouldn't cause any damage to it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like to clarify anything else

Best Answer

I believe it would be because the computer is only 500ma, an iPhone/iPad charger is usally 3 amps. 

That being said, don't use the 3 amp charger, but you can use a 500ma wall charger and it should be fine. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well, I have (without reading this earlier) done exactly as advised - have to charge every second day!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to recharge my Fitbit Alta HR, every other day. They told me to
synchronizer every 2 hours to keep the battery in the Fitbit to work I
don't take my phone to work with me so hard to do that.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have never had a problem with the battery until my Ionic just switched off and wouldn't charge anymore just after the one year mark.  After 5 Fitbits none of which lasted over 2 years, I feel like I've already waited way too long (hoping strap issues would be fixed on the Ionic to now have the device just die outright).  Garmin, here I come.  Fitbit, you've had a good run but I wouldn't buy your stock.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried all the things listed in this chat.  Mine is still not even making it through the day.  I miss my watch!

Best Answer
Fitbit finally replaced my Ionic there is a major problem with the Ionic
and charging I hope they realize this a flaw and make good on their
product!!!!
Best Answer

I have tried everything they recommend and still my battery is t holding a charge past a few hours. Pls help 

Best Answer
0 Votes

All the post I’ve read seems like a total hassle with our charging problem. My Ionic is only one year old and it doesn’t hold a charge. You need to fix this problem, in the interim I plan to buy an Apple. You lose🤬

Best Answer

I plug my adapter into my computer to charge it.

Do I really need to buy another thing- wall adapter-?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been a fitbit user for years and well aware of how to charge a battery, my smartphone tells me when its in the red and in need plus at 78 I have years of wisdom. I'm sorry if I sound snippy but I do not like your product or your service. After umpteen!!!!!! calls to complain as it is not up to par for length of time you keep sending pieces and bits and refurbished at that, I have chosen to SHUT YOU OUT and not let you upset me. YOUR CHEAP and should have sent  a new BOX same as my ORIGINAL since you won't., I have no more to say. Goodbye.

Best Answer