Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Connected Run - Wrong distance and wrong pace!!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I know this was an issue couple of months ago, but now this issue seems to be re-surfaced (at least for me). While running I'm seeing that my pace is off (too high) even though I kept same pace. In order to be sure I just ran on an exactly 1km track for 6 laps and also recorded the run on Nike+ Run (both apps use GPS). 

My fitbit app is v2.71 (2193273) on Android One Plus 5.

On this run Nike+ recorded correctly a distance of 6.07kms while Fitbit (Charge 2 connected to phone) 5.77kms!!! This is hugely annoying not just because my Charge2 is completely useless but all since my data is wrong, screwing up other metrics.

I am so disappointed with the current support and the incapability of getting something like this correct in over 6 months! (I'm being generous since found posts from 2 years ago reporting same issue).

Fix this ASAP! 

Fitbit.jpgNike+.jpg

Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

Spot on. 

I did my first10km race this morning. My Fitbit Charge 2 was connected to my iPhone for GPS tracking and it recorded a distance of 11.3 kms! 

Despite Fitbit literature stating that when connected to GPS it calculates distance using GPS (see below), this clearly does not happen. Today it was obviously calculated distance using steps x stride length. I’ve now set my stride length to auto which might help with a run of constant pace but if Fitbit doesn’t actually use GPS as it says it should, it all falls apart when pace is changed. 

I’m massively frustrated with this. Just bought my wife a Charge 3. Wish I’d have waited now and would have gone with a Garmin.  

426EE13C-3A8D-4A8A-B0D0-308CDED1C501.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit has started that during a recorded run Fitbit uses both the GPS and the stride.

Best Answer

The Fitbit literature actually states "when you are tracking an activity with GPS, Fitbit calculates your distance using GPS rather than steps. If you begin moving before you get a GPS signal, the tracker will calculate distance using steps.............."

I watched as Charge 2 connected to my phone's GPS and regularly checked and know that there was a GPS signal throughout the run. Despite the above quote the distance of my run was calculated using stride/steps. My stride was set at 1.20 m, I did 9,430 steps and Fitbit calculated the distance at 11.3 km (1.2 x 9,430). 

The GPS was not at fault as it measured 10 km almost exactly.

What is really disappointing is that all the training I did for the run was based on inaccurate data as I was rightly assuming Fitbit was using GPS data, when in fact it was only using stride/steps. 

Best Answer

Are you reading the Charge 2 literature or the b Versa, Ionic, etc? Yes you are correct for these and the Charge 3 I believe. As for the Charge 2 I would be interested in what literature.

Best Answer

It’s Charge 2 “connected GPS” literature. There are posts on this site from FitBit confirming the Charge 2 tracker should be displaying real time data. Plus, see below what it says regarding real time stats in the Charge 2 menu in the app.

Somebody posted previously that the product simply does not work. They are correct in my estimation. 

A2D1AF34-5DDF-4A93-A1C3-BA285889CAAB.png

Best Answer

Have to say I agree with you. 

I have tried all the suggestions made, thought I'd almost got it started by altering my stride length, but unfortunately not. 

Meanwhile I'll carry on using the free Strava app on my phone. Free and it does the job perfectly! 

Best Answer

Thank you, I’ve just downloaded Strava and will give it a go. This will be good for recording a run but the trouble is I want to be able to look at my Charge 2 tracker during a run and monitor pace and distance with some certainty. “Connected GPS” is supposed to do this. 

Best Answer

Hi! So I ran the Chicago marathon today & my Fitbit was completely inaccurate, it showed that I only ran 22ish miles, and the pace was too slow too. Several times during my training I noticed it was showing less miles, I thought I was just getting tired faster but today It showed me that it is just not right.

Best Answer

Mine had never really been accurate - used to short change me.  Now it credits me with quite a bit longer run.  I use map my run to record run and only use Fitbit for heart rate data - but even that is not working well - hasn't shown anything for 2 weeks! 

Best Answer

Yep! It regularly undercounts when running which in turn makes the pace ridiculous. I’ve had times where it flat out seems to not function. During a run this morning for instance, was registering my heart rate as resting for a good 15 seconds here or there. Other times it was lucky to register 7 strides for 10 taken. After owning a couple versions I’ve concluded that Fitbit is more or less okay if you don’t want to use it for anything athletic, definitely going a different route next time.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've already tested Garmin, Samsung and a few others. None work as
described... I came back to Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

So like many others, I also have this problem.

I have a Huawei mate P20 pro, and my understanding of the problem with this phone is something to do with how the phone and fitbit sync. The phone's GPS is fine as if I track within strava, it's spot on (strava stays on the screen even when the phone is locked). Problem with this is my phone is in my pocket and I don't want to keep taking it out to check my pace, and the phone is rather large to carry on my wrist/arm.

Tracking usually starts out absolutely fine for the first ten minutes or so, then it'll drop connection to the phone and GPS stops.

It shows me paces that are too slow, so like you I sped up! Got me a couple of park run PBs that way, but given that I pace for park run, it's tricky when the fitbit is telling you the wrong time.

From a lot of reading, it seems that the strict battery rules that Huawei has is the problem, hence very few phones are verified to work with fitbit, and if it was so important to me (which only now, I realise it is), I should have checked before switching from apple to android. Huawei is the second largest phone manufacturer in the world, yet Fitbit can't/wont work out a way to make their devices compatible (which they have done for a few select devices).

So I am pretty sure in the near future that I will have to ditch my fitbit and go for something with integrated GPS, or install a custom OS for my phone (very relucant to do while it's under a year old).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had similar issues.excpet I find that my fitbit is saying ive ran a further distance than actual have 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did some research on the community forum and found out that this problem has been there since about October 2016 already...Meanwhile, we are almost 3.5 years further... and my Fitbit still calculates the wrong distance. And before anyone will suggest to update app/firmware/use Fitbit approved phone... restart phone and bluetooth, i already did it all... In some posts fitbit admit they are aware of the problem and will "solve the problem" bit seriously, i don't think they ever will.

The problem is, i am sure fitbit ALWAYS uses tride * steps = distance

And no, the auto adjust function doesn't work... it always shows the same data.

Solution... forget the support from fitbit, they keep sending you in circles

What to do? Connect wit Strava, upload your exercise to strava. View distance in Strava and recalculate your stride. Adjust the strid in the Fitbit app.

(km in Strava * 100000)/steps=stride distance

Too bad users shoud find a workaround for bugs the manufacturer is aware of. When this fitbit is broken, there will be NO fitbit anymore! Continous sync problems 2x "charge 2" broken screen problem, and a helpcenter that keeps telling you to restart your phone. Never again!

Best Answer

Hi Doeterniettoe,

Pathetic isn't it. Fitbit have known about this for ages and done nothing, despite promises. I haven't looked recently, but they used to say the Charge uses GPS from your phone to adjust your stride length. It clearly doesn't. Is that false advertising?

I have numerous records comparing GPS tracking to the Charge 2 tracking and the results consistently show that the Fitbit device is useless. 

My biggest regret is buying my wife a Charge 3 before realising how useless they are.

Best Answer

I feel you. Last year I bought the Garmin Vivoactive 4. There were some teething problems, as always, BUT they acknowledge them and resolved them in a month. That is called customer support. Will never buy a Fitbit watch again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve finally found a solution to all this madness. I threw my Fitbit out and used Strava. What a piece of junk this brand is. Good riddance 

Best Answer

Same problem with Fitbit Charge 3

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hallo,

I'm also having  this problem.  Whenever im doing my run i conect my Versa to gps and strava. The information om my Versa during my run is way of the results i receive from strava. Adjusting the stride length does not influence this. 

But i discoverd that the distance of my bike rides are tracked correct by my fitbit. From now on ill track my run in cycling mode on my fitbit and keep the phase i want to run in km/hour in mind . Afterwards ill chance this bike ride in a run on strava. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey All, a lot of you have already posted their frustrations about inaccurate distance and I thought I'd add mine as well, because it's very jarring a 'specialized' fitness tracker doesn't accurately measure running distance. I compared my Fitbit data with strava and for a 6km run, strava is accurate while Fitbit indicates a mere 5,1km. And yes, I brought my phone with connected GPS on my run. Distance and pace are way off when I connect my Charge 3 to my phone and track my run. The weird thing is, when I didn't track my run but just let my Fitbit autodetect. The distance and pace do match my strava data. This is weird but indicates the Fitbit does work. The annoying thing is, autodetect doesnt show data short of distance and time. This is annoying and should be something fitbit can easily fix. Please give us some news. *Sigh*

Best Answer