Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate monitor doesn't work on rowing machine

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I know there are similar threads, but I have never seen a solution. 

While on a rowing machine, the Charge HR massively underestimates my heart rate. After 20 minutes of rowing, it says my heart rate is ~70-80bpm. Within 10-15 seconds of stopping, it jumps to ~135bpm (which is accurate). As a result, all my measurements for activity/cardio are wrong, which kind of defeats the purpose of tracking.  

I've tried it on both wrists, high on wrist, low on wrist, inside of arm, outside of arm. I cannot find any way that it will accurately measure HR. 

Please don't tell me "Fitbit is a step counter." Yeah, I know, but this one is also sold as a heart rate monitor. Reasonable to expect it to do so. 

Best Answer
50 REPLIES 50

Thank you for your participation in the Forums @smichaelCat Embarassed

You're completely right, the Charge HR is a steps, activities and heart rate monitor and all the features have to be working properly. Since you already tried with the usage of the Fitbit and this didn't worked I suggest to restart the Charge HR following @AlejandraFitbit's instructions.

Give it a shot and let me know if that works! Cat Happy

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer

Hi,

I have the same problem whilst using the rowing machine - my hr is significantly underreported by my versa. When I stop rowing, however, after a few seconds it suddenly increases by about 30bpm to a more believable level. It will then accurately track my recovery, but the readings taken during the rowing session are nonsense.

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks!

Best Answer
Sad to hear that the newer Fitbit models are no better than the old ones. I think it’s because the hr relies on detecting the pulse of blood under the skin, and when you’re constantly flexing your wrist on the rowing machine it can’t detect the hr accurately. I wish Fitbit would man up and admit it’s a failing of the product that is unlikely to get resolved.

Paula
Best Answer

I have the same problem.  My versa is very accurate during most other times, but during rowing on a machine or some weight lifting it reads @30bpm lower.

I've tried many different things, I'll keep trying I guess.

Best Answer

Same problem with a Charge 3.  Not accurate when rowing but instantly shoots up once I have stopped.

Best Answer

I have had some success getting accurate heart rate while wearing the Versa up much higher on my forearm.  Pretty much loosen up the band and get that thing way up there and it seems the flexing of the wrist doesn't affect it as much.  I'm sure it's going to be different for everyone because of arm shape etc.  

Best Answer

It's still a problem in 2020 it seems.

I use a Polar chest belt while on the rowing machine and that has my HR up in the 170-190s depending on intensity, and really only 150 max if I'm lucky on the Fitbit.

I figure (like someone wrote here) that by gripping the handle of the rower the Fitbit cannot read through the tensioned muscle tissue around the wrist.

It's a poor show really.

Best Answer
It wouldn’t be so annoying if Fitbit would just own it and say it’s an issue with no fix...

Paula
Best Answer

OMG, so glad I'm not the only one. This makes me question the HR monitor in general... like is it tied to the actual accelerometers and such and it's ignoring the values or tweaking them somehow because the movement of rowing isn't "known" to the FitBit? Mine's a Charge 3 and it's WAY off compared to my Garmin heart rate strap that I wear as well.

Best Answer

I think the issue is down to the flexing of the wrist when rowing... as it bases heart rate on the tiny movement of the pulse under the skin, the wrist flexing is enough that it doesn’t get a coherent or consistent reading.

And that’s ok, I can get on board with that, but at least own it say up front that when rowing you can’t get an accurate heart rate. 

Best Answer

No I'm not sure it's tied to the acceleromoter becauase as soon as you stop rowing the HR reading corrects itself. I suspect it's got something to do wit the fact that the light pulses cannot penetrate the muscle tissue while rowing because they're under constant tension in a way they're not when doing most other sports.

Does anybody know what it's like for other sports that require constant firm grip? 

Best Answer
I agree - should be open about the activities that it is compatible with.
I've since moved on to a Polar Ignite which can link with a chest strap
HRM. I recommend.

Gareth
Best Answer

Yeah you're likely right. But I unfortunately don't experience it "fixing" itself once I stop, at least not in a reasonable time. I also wear my FitBit far away from my wrist, as I used to have tons of problems with it being way off while running.

Best Answer

I have the same problem. I go to a row gym and would love to more accurately track my HR and how many calories i burn. I can be giving it my all and I'm lucky if it reads my HR at 110 bpm. Once I stop, it jumps into the 140's +. I've thought about buying a HR monitor to strap on my chest, but I feel like I already spent the $$$ on my Versa and shouldn't need to. This was supposed to help motivate me to work harder, I'm just left frustrated.

Best Answer

It’s bad on rowing AND strength training, as if it relies on ones feet moving. Wish Fitbit would fix it or admit they can’t. Lot of cross training out in the world.

Best Answer

I have the charge 4 and have the same problem. I am glad I'm not alone!

I use the Polar HR chest monitor for my erg data and it is great! But I wish my fitbit weren't so far off! I'm usually rowing at 150bpm and my fitbit reads 70-80bpm.

It's sad that this topic is still current after 5 years...

Best Answer

I've recently discovered that if I secure the wristband on the last notch and pull it up further on my arm while rowing, I get an accurate HR through my entire workout. If I get super sweaty, it occasionally starts to slip, but it does a decent job. 

Best Answer

Sadly this does not improve with the Fitbit Sense. I use a Concept 2 rower, and my HR is inaccurate the entire time I'm rowing. It does not change to the higher rate until at least halfway through a workout.

Best Answer

Exactly same set up here, and same results. Basically it registers my HR at 80-90 with the Sense and at 150-160 with my Polar chest strap.

I’d be fine if FitBit would admit this is a hardware limitation and allow us to sync properly with a chest strap (like Garmin and Polar watches do)!

Best Answer
0 Votes