Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honest Review of a FitBit Charge 3

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had the Charge 3 for a few weeks now and I have been a FitBit customer for a few years.

The short version: Yet another unimpressive piece of kit. It doesn't feel innovative, it doesn't feel premium, it surely is not a stylish item, rather something I need to hide under a shirt sleeve.

The long version: I purchased the FitBit Charge 3 after all the noise and marketing campaigns that announced its release. Once I unboxed it the first impression was very underwhelming. Regardless the technicalities around the materials, the rubber band feels just like that: rubber. The screen also feels very rushed and, if you look carefully, it have a massive bezel all around.

This is just the beginning, after charging the device and waiting, out of the box, for 30 minutes or more to complete the first upgrade I was left with a device that displays all but what I need. Shure, you can change the clock face but either nobody at FitBit feels like listening to feedback, or they have never went out and compared other products with their own. There is a third option: people just got used to subsequent releases of underwhelming products that by now anything looks like innovation.

The software on this device is so poor that I would not even know from where to start the description.

The gestures are not intuitive and the menus are so layered that it is virtually impossible to navigate them. It does not help that the haptic button is difficult to reach and not very sensitive and needs to be pressed multiple times just to get back to the beginning.

To log an exercise I need to tap/double tap (so many gestures), slide right, (clear notifications that might pop up in the meanwhile), tap on "Exercise", select the exercise *treadmill", click start, click start again. We're logging! Now let's stop it. Twisting the wrist does not always wake the screen (which is a problem also when simply wanting to check the time). So.. double tap. Press the haptic button on the left (with my thumb as I wear a watch on the left wrist). The exercise is paused. Let's stop it. Haptic button again. Click on "Finish". Oh.. not on the clock face yet. Haptic button again. And again. Oh here it is. I'm back after tens of click. How was this UI/UX designed? Last minute much?

Some might say that it is just a matter of getting used to it.. it is not. A carefully thought out and researched UI should be intuitive. Unfortunately we are getting used to many UIs being utterly terrible. 

The clock faces themselves look dated. What I want to see is a big set of digits telling me the time and underneath it the date. I don't need to be constantly reminded of the number of steps or my heartbeat. This is just so stressful!

To conclude... just another inexpressive piece of kit that feels cheap, looks cheap, and it is difficult to operate. This will be the last device I buy from FitBit. I won't even begin to comment on the Social side of FitBit that also seems rushed with a complex UI, nonexistent UX, and messaging system form the last century. 

Best Answer
107 REPLIES 107

I agree with you every word and to add a few things, some people (myself included) have allergy reaction to the metal strap, the app is incredible bad, and after 1 year of everyday use the screen of my Charge 3 went all weird with vertical lines.

I should just stick to garmin...

Best Answer

I have also purchased my Fitbit Charge3 about 7/8 months ago.  After about 5 months it started adding stairs even when walking on the same flat level.   The advice I received from Fitbit was to remove the stairs from my daily exercise program even after stating I didn’t want tondo so.   Only other advice was to reset the device until  getting a “Smiley face”.  Useless as this dies not work.   The best is then they requested a review of how well they have done!

The advice seems to be generic.   Fitbit not interested in feedback nor solving problems.  

Will never purchase another Fitbit again. 

Best Answer

The worst is that this buggy band isn't exactly cheap, here in my country you the only stores that sell them are Mac Stores as if it was a luxury band, and is incredible bad made. Not buying fitbit again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd been using Fitbit 2 for a 1.5 year . Before it I had Fitbit charge . I really enjoying the quality of a product,it really shows accurate measurments. But a month ago I bought FitBit 3 from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp

And actually I'm a little bit disappointed . Firstly it doesn't count steps correctly and for me these calm  feature is useless.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just wait to have your display fading, it won’t take long and just be prepared to scrap it.

Take a look at how many other customer had the same problem (in the same forum).  

I am very disappointed; I started with a Flex band and it also died, I assumed that you cannot expect much from a basic product...therefore I upgraded to get a Charge 3, everything went well but after 1 year and 3 months the display disappeared, it is gone, caput.

The answer from the” Fitbit Team” is: There is NO service, NO warranty, NO replacement  = Customer dissatisfaction.

My recommendation is do not waste your money & time looking for customer service and try something else, maybe a Garmin?

Best Answer

I had a garmin vivosmart 3. The software is excelent and the band I would said is incredible, but the only downside is that you can't change strapbands, so if for some reason you cut it (like it happened to me using it on the pool) you need to call Garmin, if its in warranty they will just change the whole thing, but if its out of warranty they will ask you to send it back and change it for around 40-50% of market price.

Mine lasted around 1 and a half year and broke the strap because I wasn't careful, but it does still work after 3 years.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just purchased the Charge 3 and wish I hadn't.  I have to delete the app often just to sync with my phone.  I'm still not getting notifications for text messages.  Just doesn't track much of anything.  I'm tossing this and purchase an Apple Watch.  

Best Answer

My fitbit is acting crazy and I need to buy a new one since fitbit won't replace. What would you recommend? 

Best Answer
Anything but a fit bit - they just don't last, although my fitbit charge
lasted 14 months and then quit - two months past the warranty. My fitbit 3
lasted 5 months then went crazy - wouldn't sync.

Good Luck..

Dick
Best Answer
Good Move........

Dick
Best Answer
0 Votes

My charge 3 died at 14 months.  I mean it still "works"  the screen goes on whatever display it wants,  there's black lines across the screen,  I have to charge it 3+ times a day. Switching back to my Alta HR which still works, until I find something else. My boyfriend charge 2 is almost 3 years old and still works. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Don't buy a Fitbit I'm so frustrated with this one and it's only a few months old. Not worth the money. I'm buying an Apple Watch.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Products screen went blank after three months, took a month to get a replacement, then the band broke approximately 4-5 months later ,my friend had the same problem!!! No help from customer service !!!I think it's a piece of s***!! That has good function when it works, rarely!!!!

Best Answer

I absolutely agree on this. Honest review. I am impressed with your objective review detailed thoroughly. For the future, could you please advise: what is the best fitness tracker for you  what would you suggest? It is important for me. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m very happy with the Apple iWatch.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Of course you are happy with your apple product because it is not a fitbit, especially a charge 3 with does not work and has no customer support - enjoy your apple product. 

Best Answer
Probably Apple but not as familiar!! Or maybe Garmin if they make such a
product?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Anybody but Fitbit........
Best Answer

I am on my third Fitbit charge three and all of them are defective with poor software and in poor working condition.

This was fitbits last chance, three defective charge threes, really?

Apple Watch time!

Best Answer
0 Votes

And they rushed to get out their charge 4,  which carries over the same product and software defects that charge three has, both are defective.

Best Answer