Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honest Review of a FitBit Charge 3

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had the Charge 3 for a few weeks now and I have been a FitBit customer for a few years.

The short version: Yet another unimpressive piece of kit. It doesn't feel innovative, it doesn't feel premium, it surely is not a stylish item, rather something I need to hide under a shirt sleeve.

The long version: I purchased the FitBit Charge 3 after all the noise and marketing campaigns that announced its release. Once I unboxed it the first impression was very underwhelming. Regardless the technicalities around the materials, the rubber band feels just like that: rubber. The screen also feels very rushed and, if you look carefully, it have a massive bezel all around.

This is just the beginning, after charging the device and waiting, out of the box, for 30 minutes or more to complete the first upgrade I was left with a device that displays all but what I need. Shure, you can change the clock face but either nobody at FitBit feels like listening to feedback, or they have never went out and compared other products with their own. There is a third option: people just got used to subsequent releases of underwhelming products that by now anything looks like innovation.

The software on this device is so poor that I would not even know from where to start the description.

The gestures are not intuitive and the menus are so layered that it is virtually impossible to navigate them. It does not help that the haptic button is difficult to reach and not very sensitive and needs to be pressed multiple times just to get back to the beginning.

To log an exercise I need to tap/double tap (so many gestures), slide right, (clear notifications that might pop up in the meanwhile), tap on "Exercise", select the exercise *treadmill", click start, click start again. We're logging! Now let's stop it. Twisting the wrist does not always wake the screen (which is a problem also when simply wanting to check the time). So.. double tap. Press the haptic button on the left (with my thumb as I wear a watch on the left wrist). The exercise is paused. Let's stop it. Haptic button again. Click on "Finish". Oh.. not on the clock face yet. Haptic button again. And again. Oh here it is. I'm back after tens of click. How was this UI/UX designed? Last minute much?

Some might say that it is just a matter of getting used to it.. it is not. A carefully thought out and researched UI should be intuitive. Unfortunately we are getting used to many UIs being utterly terrible. 

The clock faces themselves look dated. What I want to see is a big set of digits telling me the time and underneath it the date. I don't need to be constantly reminded of the number of steps or my heartbeat. This is just so stressful!

To conclude... just another inexpressive piece of kit that feels cheap, looks cheap, and it is difficult to operate. This will be the last device I buy from FitBit. I won't even begin to comment on the Social side of FitBit that also seems rushed with a complex UI, nonexistent UX, and messaging system form the last century. 

Best Answer
107 REPLIES 107

I have had the same problem, I am on my third Fitbit charge three And they all have been defective.

Best Answer

Really disappointed with my Charge 3. It never syncs properly so I will return it and will go for another brand. None of my fitbit devices last much more than 1 year anyway which makes them quite expensive and I do look after them. It’s a pity

Best Answer

Mine is only 5 months old and the screen has gone all grey with vertical lines, now it wont connect to the app anymore, it really is just a piece of **ahem**, thank God I didnt pay for it! (gift)

Best Answer

I wish I could post video, you would see me take this rat**ahem** piece of junk outside and smash it to pieces using my Fitbit Aria scales which are equally useless, frustrating and inaccurate. Then you would see me put the pieces in the land fill bin because I wouldnt want this thing recycled in case it contaminated some thing else.

Best Answer

Actually, I got really lucky with my Charge 2 - somehow, it lasted 14 months. But my charge 3 lasted 5 months which I see from many people is normal.

Best Answer

I agree--it's a lousy device.  Save your money.  This is my second fitbit device and I have not been impressed with either one.  The first, a Charge 2, only lasted 15 months.  Because it was out of their warranty window, they offered my a 25% discount on a new device.  Why would I waste that much money on another piece of junk.  I wasn't going to, but caught a black Friday deal so I snagged the Charge 3.  It didn't even make it a year and now there are lines through the screen.  The top half of the screen is mostly dead and is unreadable.  I've tried the reboot and also changed the clock face.  Neither one did anything.  Will not waste my money on another fitbit product.

Best Answer

Very unfortunate that their products are not up to snuff. Perhaps when Google finalizes the purchase of Fitbit, their Customer Service will be better. As it is now, they just give you the runaround until you give up and throw the product in the garbage. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Lol
Just can't wait my will break and I purchase Whoop
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree. The Charge 3 has been more frustrating and cheaper than the Charge 2. My Charge 2 lasted 14 months and then stopped registering the heart rate and would not hold charge for 8 hours. The Charge 3 has been a major disappointment with failing to sync properly, defective screen, poor battery life, and other issues.

I'm waiting on my replacement since my Charge 3 was still barely under warranty, but once this one dies, I'm switching to a different smart/fitness watch. Something that costs you hundreds of dollars should last more than a year.

Best Answer

Totally agree, SO disappointed with Fitbit 3!  Have had 2 now and will never again order another Fitbit product!  First one lasted almost 10 months and because it was under warranty, it was replaced.  Second one lasted only 8 months and was told today that they only warranty the first one purchased.  Fitbit obviously does not stand behind a product that they charge $149 for, that lasts less than a year!!

Best Answer

I never post reviews/replies online but I felt like I needed to for this product. I purchased 2 fitbits within the late 2 years and will never buy another again. I work as an RN and really rely on my watch while at work and am upset that I had to spend more than 200$ on two Fitbit charge 3s in the last 2 years. I really loved my fitbit while it worked but I personally wouldn’t recommend getting the charge 3 (especially since many others shared that they’re experiencing the similar issues). 

Best Answer

It would be nice for Fitbit to acknowledge that the Charge 3 is a disaster, a real lemon product and reimburse everyone that bought this piece of junk or at least replace with a better model if one exists. I junked both my Fitbits and bought an "Oshen watch" - works great (for now anyway) and was only $49.....does everything or more that the fitbits.do ie: time, steps, BP, sleep habits etc.- one problem with Oshen watch is battery life - needs to be charged every 2-3 days...

Best Answer

So I took the bait and bought another charge three for the like 20% off that they give you.

The new discounted charge 3 completely went dead in 2 1/2 months doesn’t work at all. 
Their warranty will Only replace your device with a refurbished charge 3, repeat refurbished, you will not get a new charge three (or any new product from them through their warranty, it will always be refurbished ) you will get a used one that somebody has already put their juices all over.

I told the service person that I am high risk for contraction of COVID-19 and I am worried about the pandemic and contracting COVID-19 from a used product that they INSIST on sending me instead of sending me an unused clean charge three.  They said I understand but this is all I can do.

Basically what the customer agent is saying, it’s tough  I don’t care, I don’t care about your health and I don’t care about the integrity of the company that I work for.

Aside from Fitbit having exhibited over and over again that they have no integrity,  now they do not care about the well-being and the health of their customers.  Isn’t that the exact opposite of what your company mission statement is.  You’re selling a product that’s supposed to keep you fit but yet you will sell a dirty product to a client that could possibly Contain the COVID-19 virus and kill.

Fitbit it is doing nothing to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

By sending these used items with peoples sweat blood moist juices all over them to their clients that paid good money for a brand new item that showed it’s defective nature in only two months.  Fitbit it’s running a racket.  

The fact that they are sending refurbished items out into the world, is irresponsible, careless and shows that they only care about ripping their clients off .  During this pandemic everybody should be doing everything to keep everyone safe, Fitbit is clearly not doing their part.

This is just disgusting during this pandemic Everyone should be more responsible.

The fact that you are OK with selling a defective product line and do not care about infecting your clients with COVID-19, what kind of company are you and should you still be in business???

I think this is a serious claim and should be looked into.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just bought an Apple Watch Series 3 with GPS.  It’s a quality item, if your iPhone is nearby you can use it to make calls read texts and send texts and control your music, even if you don’t purchase the cell option to add it to your phone plan, which I did not, I only got the GPS model.  
as a fitness tracker it’s top-notch and way more accurate than Fitbit, 

and being that the Apple watch six is about to come out, the Apple Watch three with GPS was only 150 bucks.  If you want the Apple Watch three with GPS and cellular it’s only slightly over 200.  Way more affordable than a Fitbit that will only last you two months And is a diminished capacity item.
 If Apple ran its company the way Fitbit runs its company, selling it’s defective items, they wouldn’t be in business, apples is a quality brand, switch over to It and force Fitbit to improve or rightfully Fitbit should disappear.

Best Answer

Thank you for your review of the Apple Watch.  I couldn't afford one last year, but I am going to find a way to get one in the next few days.  I appreciate the honest review.  Will the Apple Watch count steps and log food as the Fitbit does?  I don't know enough about them.  anything that you can tell me about it would be great.  Thanks again for your review.

Best Answer

My Apple Watch with gps cost less than the charge 3 special edition.  It does everything a Fitbit can do, but you will have to download an app to log your food, you can choose from The app my fitness pal or many others.

Whatever app you can put onto your iPhone you can put on your watch, you can customize your watch to have whatever you want on it.  
Interesting thing that I learned about my watch today was that while driving to a new place, and using Google maps, the watch would vibrate every time I was supposed to make a turn and my Street was coming up, it was very helpful.  
You can also choose from many sleep apps, music apps, alarm apps, the list goes on and on.  This is my second day with the watch, I’m very happy with it.  I wish I could tell you more but I’m still discovering myself.

Best Answer

One of the biggest difference between Fitbit and the Apple Watch is that an Apple Watch takes accurate account of your steps, where as Fitbit does not.

I noticed when I started wearing the Apple Watch that my daily steps went down significantly.  When I investigated, I noticed that Fitbit had me taking steps even when I was just moving my arm, or for example, shaking I bottle of salsa.

If you feel that shaking a bottle of salsa should count toward your daily steps Fitbit is the brand for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you again for your help. II appreciate you returning my email.

Barb
Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree with your review of the Fitbit Charge 3.  Previously, I had owned several Fitbit One devices.  They totally worked for what I needed.  The Fitbit Charge 3 was given to me a year ago as a gift after I lost my last Fitbit One and was unable to replace it.  I have had to call Fitbit Customer Service several times during the past year for assistance with issues as this tracker is just not very intuitive.   

The lack of brightness on the screen is annoying, and don't get me started on trying to read the screen outdoors.  Also, I too have had issues in tracking while on a treadmill.  When a device is released for sale, it should be easy to use and should use flawlessly.  Honestly, I would rather have control of my device settings available on the app.  To me, that makes more sense.  When the new Samsung watch comes out sometime in the Fall of 2020 I will switch devices and sync to my Samsung S20.  This is sad, because I have been a Fitbit owner (and promoter) since 2013.

Best Answer

I bought the fitbit charge 3 March 2019. It is a piece of junk I tried to charge it over night it would not charge. Tried again this morning it did the same thing. The two little lights on the bottom of the fitbit stays on. The customer service representative on the phone tried to tell me it was a charge 2. The only thing they offered me was 35 percent off of a new one. The product should last longer than that. I have always enjoyed wearing a fitbit. I think it is time for me to look for some other brand. Would not recommend their products.

Best Answer