Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to easily force sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why is there not a prominent "Sync Now" button to the right of the Last Sync time at the top of the dashboard. Spent a half hour trying to force sync. Can"t do it. Instructions to click on account icon - what is this, the image is so poor I can't find it anywhere. Very frustrated. Do the web site designers ever use their web site?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately you can't sync from the web dashboard. I believe this is a security constraint that prevents websites running malware.

If you are running windows 10 and using the fitbit app then you can sync via that via the account button:

account3.PNG

You can also sync by clicking on your tracker's image. If you are using a phone there will be a similar icon to look for.

If you are using a computer but running windows 7 or 8 then you should have a fitbit icon in your system tray from installing fitbit connect. You can right click this to get the sync option.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

Unfortunately you can't sync from the web dashboard. I believe this is a security constraint that prevents websites running malware.

If you are running windows 10 and using the fitbit app then you can sync via that via the account button:

account3.PNG

You can also sync by clicking on your tracker's image. If you are using a phone there will be a similar icon to look for.

If you are using a computer but running windows 7 or 8 then you should have a fitbit icon in your system tray from installing fitbit connect. You can right click this to get the sync option.

Best Answer

@BMWTriumphant Welcome! It's good that the community is growing!  What did you use to setup your tracker? Know what you are using will help us better assist you. As @SteveH said if you are using a Windows 10 computer then you will need to use the Fitbit app for that platform to sync your device. You can check the help article with details on how to sync with different OS and platforms.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the reply. I did not see an image of the thing I am supposed to click on, and have suggested there be an icon on the dashboard to force a sync. I have been able to sync, eventually, but not RIGHT NOW after changing something, such as the format of the clock face.
I know there is an authority that makes such decisions, for security or whatever. I just dont accept that such decisions are always right. They are certainly not convenient for the folks who buy the equipment and get frustrated . In todays case, I am travelling half way around the world and the fitbit device was showing the wrong time for the two days it took to get to cape town. That was ok, but when I arrived, I wanted to sync and get the right time. It did occur, but it sure was frustrating. Needlessly frustrating. Not all folks who write requirements think about scenarios I am citing. That needs to stop. I am requesting a prominent icon to force sync now. Should be simple. I would accept a response that says the request was received and sync is pending, will happen in five minutes or such. But right now, I feel the situation is really poor.
Best Answer

@BMWTriumphant as @SteveH points out the web browser is unable to connect to your Bluetooth device. That is why there is no sync now. 

We will be glad to help if we knew which device / app that is used to sync. All 5 ways have easily found sync now, from a right click by the clock or pulling the screen down in the app. 

Best Answer

If you are talking about the dashboard on your phone, just drag down on the screen until it says 'Release to sync'.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
Fair question was asked as to what I am using to connect to the fitbit device and force sync.Using a laptop, Windows 10, have a fitibit dongle in a usb port at all times, am able to search for the fitbit app using the left ?hand lower search form ... dont know what other magic technique I should use...
Not exactly a stupe. Electrical Engineer since 1971, but hey, willing to learn. 5 ways to force sync, all prominent, you say? Well, this retired guy somehow has not been able to find any. Makes me feel stupid...
Best Answer

I could see your frustration. One possible explanation, though no help to you, is that I expect the overall design is based on having it work with a smart phone. 

I don't know if this is still the case, but a few years ago when researching activity trackers, not having a smart phone totally eliminated several options. To get over this, I bought a low-end smartphone from Amazon just to explore Android apps without even connecting it to a phone service. It still did wifi and Bluetooth just fine. I still use that phone to sync one of my trackers.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
ok, went to windows 10 list of apps in lower left, found the fitbit app was installed, it did look a bit different than the web site, did see the previously unseen icon I was complaining I could not see...hover does not reveal its name and I have forgotten what it is called, pretty **ahem**ty programming, and it does not force sync, tells me sync was 4 minutes ago though.
Im not really impressed, but have to admit sync does occur eventually, just never sure it has/will. Just have the impression this is a half-done app.
thanks for the reply.
Best Answer
Suggestion about issue related to smart phone use for app is a real possibility. However, you should know I don't care. Issue is lack of care by Fitbit programmers and management for half done job.
Best Answer

If your using a computer, you should see a Fitbit icon by the clock in the status bar. A right click on it should bring up a list and a sync now should be on this list. 

Best Answer
No icon, nor is it in the drop down panel of icons. Thought I had seen it before....Using Windows 10. Will look further.
Best Answer
0 Votes

BMW, when you open your Fitbit App on a Windows 10 computer, there is a picture of your tracker at the upper right (see Pic 1 below) and, upon opening, the App should try to sync and there will be a little circle just to the right of the tracker pic and it will be going around. If it is not and any other time you want to force a sync, click on the tracker pic and you will get a drop down as shown in pic 2. Among other things, there are two circular arrows in the right side of that box.  Clicking on those will force a sync no matter what is going on elsewhere.

pic 1pic 1pic 2pic 2Please pardon the lack of artistry! Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer

I am running Windows 10 on my computer and there is NO icon as you show here.

Best Answer

The pics in  my post were taken from a Windows 10 computer.

Best Answer

Good for you, but my Windows 10 does not show the icon described.

Best Answer

Then go to your Fitbit app. go to settings, and enable it. 

Best Answer

@ntwigg on windows 10 there are 2 ways of using fitbit. Either the downloaded fitbit connect software or the fitbit app. The posts above only work with the app. What are you using?

Best Answer

@ntwigg Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I hope you're doing well! I am curious to know if you were able to find the sync button on your Windows 10 computer with the information @SunsetRunner @Rich_Laue and @SteveH kindly shared with you? If you still can't find it could you share a screenshot of what you are seeing so we can better assist you?

I look forward to your reply!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

I am also having problems syncing my brand new Charge 2. I use Windows 10 and I can find the Sync Now button but it then tries to find my tracker and ultimately gives me the last time it was synced, but it still will not force a sync to get me up to date.

This is my 3rd Fitbit Charge 2 and I am wondering if it is somehow confused with the last one which stopped working.

From what I read I do not need to have a dongle with Windows 10 so I took it out. Just tried putting it back in and the sync changed to "setting up a base station". That completed but now it is back to showing a warning triangle next to the tracker photo in the bottom left of the Dashboard app window. Obviously it has a problem. 

I am very frustrated! 

Best Answer
0 Votes