Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Difference Between Normal & Sensitive Sleep Setting

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi! I don't sleep well, so I'm really interested in the sleep tracker on my HR. However, there is a significant difference between the info I get on the "normal" setting & what I get on the "sensitive" setting. So, my questions are: why the big difference, & is it even accurate? I've read the information on the differences in the sleep settings, but it doesn't answer my questions. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks!

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer
75 REPLIES 75

I cured my restless leg syndeome

by consistently taking a double or triple dose of magtein every day. At least six tablets. 

If you do the research you will find that magnesium supplementation usually cures Rls and helps sleep also. I find the magtein or chelates magnesium to be much much better than other cheaper forms that mess with your digestion. 

Best Answer

I just upgraded from a Surge to a Charge 2 and I'm noticing a HUGE difference in sleep tracking. Not just the software but the sensitivity levels seem way off. 

According to my Surge, in sensitive mode, I sleep an avg of 3.5 hours a night. 

According to my Charge 2, in sensitive mode, I sleep an avg of 6.1 hours a night. 

I've gone into the website and updated the settings to ensure it's on sensitive, but I don't think it's tracking my sleep correctly. So last night I paired my surge to another phone (used the account I created for one my dogs) and wore both trackers to bed. Both are set to sensitive in the website. 

Surge: 3:26

Charge2: 5:58

I'm feeling my Charge 2 isn't going into sensitive mode like it should. Any ideas? 

Best Answer

Similar issues here. I did not change devices, but suddenly my Alta started logging 2-4 hours of sleep in sensitive mode vs my normal 5-6. I thought it was just poor sleep, but it has consistently read that way for about two weeks. I changed my setting to normal, but those readings were WAY too high to be real. I feel like they did a software update that messed up the tracking or something. 

Best Answer

Sorry to tell you that just because you don't snore doesn't mean you don't have sleep apnea. I don't but when they did the sleep study I have borderline sever sleep apnea. I would look into getting a sleep study done to make sure. FYI not the take home oxygen monitor, according to my test my oxygen levels were fine cause I always wakeup.

Best Answer

There are multiple kinds of apnea. Obstructive apnea is the one that is traditionally considered apnea where you wake up gasping for air, etc. Thereis also Central apnea (which I have) where you just stop breathing altogether for short bursts. CPAP may ormay not help the last one.

Best Answer

I have this same problem. No matter how much I sleep I never feel rested. Come to find out, it's narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is nothing like what most people think or how the tv portrays it, read about it and see if it sounds like something you could have 

Best Answer

Hi, my sleep llooked very simular to that  of yours. I am trying to improve the quality of my sleep, mostly my fitbit has made me realise how little sleep I get. In the long run  my device will give me a good guide, so I am more aware, but isn't an actual accurate sleep diagnosis. I am going too bed earlier, no electronics on in the room (except my fitbit) turned down the heating and now shower on waking bathe on sleeping. These changes have improved my readings in a week. If the sleep recorder is or isn't accurate it doesnt matter because it has made me see improvement. Good luck and have a happy and healthy new year.

Best Answer

That's more than me! Mine says I get anywhere between 1.5-2hrs sleep on average. It's frightening

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m just not sure what to make of these readings. I wish I knew how accurate they really are!

Happy New Year!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

This is my sleep from last night and this afternoon. My FB said I slept 2hrs last night and 1hr 23min this afternoon during my nap. It's sad that I am getting more sleep during nap times than a full nights rest. Very strange. Happy New Year!

Untitled.png

Best Answer

Hi k,

I wanted to 'start the day' at 7 in the evening, as i usually fall asleep at 8 and get up at 4, wanted to have the whole heart rate strip in a one day period, not broken into 2 different 'days', so i finally thought i could change time zones to one 5 hours earlier, 2 hours after GMT, instead of the 7 that we have in Denver, and i just have to remember to subtract 5 hours from the indicated time to see what the time really is in Denver

I still get pretty screwy data for how well i sleep, or at least how quiet my arm is through the night,

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

While snoring may be a very common thing for sleep apnea it is not always the case for everyone that has it.  It's worth it to go to the doctor and get checked out.  I lost a friend to sleep apnea, she rarely snored, had lots of issues of always being tired.  

Best Answer

I'm a younger guy and never woke up gasping for air or even thought in a million years that I had sleep apnea and it turns out that I did.  Got a sleep study done and a CPAP machine and sleep so much better now.  It's worth getting a sleep study done because insurance will cover it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My sleep is very similar.....I average 3-4 hours a night on sensitive setting......maybe I'll try switching to normal......idk....

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BethBritton tagging you because you're the OP.

I found this thread as I was doing a general search online for what the difference is between normal and sensitive setting for sleep tracking. I am a new Fitbit user (bought my first Fitbit device on May 1), and have been tracking my sleep ever since then, but I know it's not a large sample size compared to some of you who have been using it for years. I switched the setting to sensitive yesterday to see what difference it would yield but it doesn't seem to differ too much from when I had the normal setting on...

Perhaps I am a still sleeper, or that they changed the algorithm to track? Because I don't get the major discrepancies I see being reported online. Here is the log of my sleep with Tuesday night changed to sensitive setting.Untitled.png

Pixel 1, Android 9.0 | Versa
Best Answer

with "sensitive" setting on, the sleep tracker only shows 1-2 hours of sleep a night. we MUST have problems!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes!  Mine is even worse. I just switched to normal and it is night and day.  I wonder which one though is more accurate.  I switched because it was giving me anxiety lol

Best Answer

Hi! That's very true, but can also be caused by too much magnesium. I'm my doctor and i figured this one out when taking gaviscon more, my rls flakes up, which sucks because I wanted to try taking it for my migraines lol. Glad you found something at works for you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have sleep apnea too and am 5,6 and weigh 112 lbs so not everyone with sleep apnea is overweight! It is depressing to see how little o sleep so I stopped looking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you’re a good sleeper! The rest of us are here because we get so little sleep that’s tracked in the sensor mode. Count yourself lucky! 

Best Answer