Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Difference Between Normal & Sensitive Sleep Setting

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi! I don't sleep well, so I'm really interested in the sleep tracker on my HR. However, there is a significant difference between the info I get on the "normal" setting & what I get on the "sensitive" setting. So, my questions are: why the big difference, & is it even accurate? I've read the information on the differences in the sleep settings, but it doesn't answer my questions. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks!

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @belljp , this comes from the Fitbit help files:

“For devices that record sleep patterns instead of sleep stages, you can set your device to track sleep in a normal or sensitive mode.

In normal mode, when you make significant movements like rolling over, your device records time spent awake. This setting is appropriate for most users. In sensitive mode, your device records nearly all movements as time spent restless or awake. This setting may be helpful if you wake up feeling tired even though your sleep history shows sufficient rest.”

Note that this setting is “for devices that record sleep patterns instead of sleep stages”.  Those are older Fitbit devices that do not detect heart rate.

The normal / sensitive setting is a legacy setting from the days before most (and now all) Fitbit devices could detect heart rate, and it has now become largely redundant, as most users track their sleep using Fitbit devices that detect heart rate.  For most users it will not make any difference at all in how sleep is recorded.

I hope this helps!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
75 REPLIES 75

Hi, @BethBritton , I found that difference...  My Fitbit shows "restless" pretty accurately, except quite a lot of that "restless" is actually "awake", which seems to be rarely picked up.  I briefly tried the sensitive setting, but with that setting I seemed to be barely ever asleep!  So I went back to the normal setting, and I am just aware that a lot of the restless periods are, in fact, awake periods.  I do wish there was something in between...

Best Answer

Thanks for the input! I wish there was a way to know just how accurate the sleep tracker really is.

Best Answer
I find it really accurate in terms of when it detects deep sleep vs restless -- it's just that it often counts "restless" when I am actually awake -- but that seems reasonable... when I am awake I am not usually throwing myself about -- I am trying to lie still so I can go back to sleep! So I guess it is not surprising that it can't tell restless from awake unless I actually get out of bed.

Best Answer

I'm actually kind of hoping that mine ISN'T accurate... Mine shows that I'm getting anywhere from 3.5-4.5 hours of sleep. I go to bed early enough that I should, reasonably, be able to get 8 hours of sleep. 18 months ago we bought a new Tempurpedic Cloud mattress, so I know my sleep problems aren't due to a worn out mattress. I don't snore, so I don't think it's sleep apnea. I just know that I wake up tired every day, & I was hoping that my Fitbit sleep tracker could help me figure out the problem. Woman Frustrated

Best Answer

It sounds like your Fitbit is confirming what you already know... you go to bed early enough, but you wake up tired... something has got to be wrong.  Have you tried looking at the Fitbit sleep forum ?  People there might be able to help!

Best Answer
Thanks! I'll check out that forum!
Best Answer

Woman HappyDon't count on not snoring to mean that you don't have sleep apnea.  I didn't snore, fall asleep watching TV or reading.  No visible signs of sleep apnea. But, my cardiologist kept insisting.  I have almost severe sleep.  Stop breathing 29 times per hour.  I am now on a CPAP machine.  Check with a sleep doctor.  Easy test to do at home, no longer involves overnight in facility with wires.Woman Happy

Best Answer

Could it still be sleep apnea even though I don't wake up gasping for breath or anything like that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, Beth, you could have sleep apnea without any visible signs.  I didn't think it was possible until it happened to me.  Best of luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am in the same boat - I go to bed for at least 8 hours and wake up exhausted and crash hard at about 2pm (i nap on weekends). I exercise, eat well and have had this looked at from a dr for other potential problems (iron, hormones etc) but no answers. On regular setting it shows some restlessness but on the sensitive it shows that I only get about 3 hours of sleep in the 8 hours... not sure what to make of it but thinking of asking dr to refer me to sleep clinic - so frustrated!

Best Answer

The sleep test isn't hard to do, and if that is the problem... situation satisfied.  If not, then you can pursue other avenues.  Good luck!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wish there was a clear description detailing the reasons for the huge differences in the sleep setting on Fitbit. On "normal" setting it shows me getting more hours of sleep than on "sensitive" setting. I just don't understand the huge difference

Best Answer
Beth, It could absolutely be that you have sleep apnea. I wen to the Dr because my wife said she had to constantly wake me because I wasn't breathing. I had no idea other than I was always tired regardless of the amount of sleep I got. Even my Dr doubted it was sleep apnea as I was 27 and 6'2" barely 160lbs. Turned out I have sleep apnea. I highly recommend getting checked out!
Best Answer

I asked my husband if he's ever noticed me not breathing or anything like that. He has sleep apnea & wears a C-PAP at night also. He said he's never seen or heard anything from me that would make him think I have sleep apnea. Of course, he's not a doctor so he can't know for sure. Just his observation. I'm just at a loss. Thanks for the input!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @BethBritton, it will always show more sleep on "normal" than on "sensitive" because on "sensitive" even very small movements will be shown as restless or awake.

Best Answer

This is what my sleep tracker looks like on "sensitive" mode. Is this about what everyone else's looks like?IMG_4207.PNG

Best Answer

Hi, @BethBritton, yes, that is very much what mine looks like (and a similar number of recorded hours).  As I mentioned, with sleep set on "sensitive" even slight movements are recorded as "restless".

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, what kind of information am I really getting from this? Just that I move a lot in my sleep? 

Best Answer

I think you need to interpret it yourself.  I changed my setting from "normal" to sensitive because it seemed to report me asleep when I knew I wasn't -- I was trying to sleep, so I wasn't throwing myself about...

Like many others, I wish there wasn't such a huge difference between sensitive and normal.  But my sense of my own sleep, having tried it on both settings is that I definitely don't get as much sleep as normal would suggest, but I probably get more than sensitive implies...  I usually guess I get about 50 % more than sensitive, and I still find it useful to note the relative more and less days, as well as what times of the night I am most restless.

I find this more useful than just a graph telling me I was asleep when I know I wasn't.  But only you will know whar information you find most helpful.  Try it on both settings, and see what you think.

Best Answer