Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Difference Between Normal & Sensitive Sleep Setting

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi! I don't sleep well, so I'm really interested in the sleep tracker on my HR. However, there is a significant difference between the info I get on the "normal" setting & what I get on the "sensitive" setting. So, my questions are: why the big difference, & is it even accurate? I've read the information on the differences in the sleep settings, but it doesn't answer my questions. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks!

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer
75 REPLIES 75

Thanks! I know that I wake up exhausted every day. I don't think I ever get into deep enough sleep to dream. I don't snore or wake up gasping for air. I have a good, comfortable mattress. I don't have TV on. The room is cool & dark. I don't drink caffeine after 9am. I feel like I'm doing everything I can to get a good nights sleep, but it just doesn't happen. 

I can't take sleep aids. I'm a freak of nature when it comes to stuff like that. Sleep aids actually keep me awake. 😬

Best Answer

Well then it sounds like your Fitbit is giving you fairly accurate information then.  So maybe focus on which nights you've done better -- where it reports 5 hours instead of 4, for example, and try to work out whar you did then... and when yoursleep is deepest.

You might want to post in the Fitbit sleep forum for exchange of ideas and help.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine from the past week or so....IMG_4662.PNG

When I got my new FB I changed to sensitive mode instead of the standard which I had used on my old FB.

I used to easily log between 6-8 hrs a night depending on bedtime/wakeup, but now I "apparently" barely get 5hrs most nights! 

I 100% feel the sensitive mode is a little too sensitive. I know I fidget at night and I know I wake up, but it was never logged to this extent on normal mode. I am maybe considering the switch back, as I don't feel this is an accurate representation of my sleep!

Best Answer

In sensitive mode I get between 50 minutes and 3 hours (once or twice I got a 4, and once I even got a 7!), but in regular mode I get virtually the entire amount I was in bed counted towards sleep even if I felt it was not a restful night/I was up for a lot of it. I too wake up tired every day and have never felt truly rested. I wish you he best!

Best Answer

Beth, I have always woke up so tired that I have to drag myself out of bed most mornings. I had a sleep study done and found out I don't have sleep apnea but I was diagnosed with periodic limp movement. My study found that my sleep was disrupted about 20 times from snoring and I just woke up for no reason about 36 times but the main cause was PLM or restless leg syndrome. I've still been working with doctors because they just keep giving me sleep aids currently a non narcotic which has been working decently. I still wake up tired and nap a lot. So you could check with your doctor and see if you might possibly have PLM and not realize how much you're moving about. I have to same problem as you they just tried Ambien and I woke up after a couple hours I had a horrible night sleep. 

Best Answer

I had mine on "Normal" and was showing around 7 hrs a night sleep. I've since changed to "Sensitive" and now shows between 3.5 and 4.5 hrs. I've never been a good sleeper, always waking up tired etc but seeing my sleep pattern on "Sensitive" has got me really worried! Sleep apnea runs in my family and now I'm wondering if I've got it. I just don't know which setting to believe 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine looks exactly like that. I want to cry.😔 I want to know what does Mr Fitbit maker have to say about the huge difference.

Best Answer

I've been given meds for restless legs in the past, but I'm a freak of nature when it comes to drugs. Narcotic pain meds, sleep aids, all the things that seem to make most people sleepy, keep me awake. I had surgery 2 years ago & took my pain meds for only one night because of the adverse side effects I have. I've tried OTC sleep aids, prescription sleep aids, everything. It all keeps me awake.

It confuses me too. I just don't know what to think. I know I'm tired all the time, but other than that, I don't know much! 

JuanJoFitbit_0-1634731217021.png

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is almost exactly what mine looks like and your description of how you feel is similar too. I wish there was a clear answer on the accuracy of the sensitive setting. 

Best Answer

It's really frustrating to NOT have a clear description of what exactly goes into determining the differences

Best Answer

[MY OLD POST, relatively soon after making the change to sensitive sleep setting]
Thank you for sharing! I've always had trouble sleeping, but I've never taken it so seriously as I do now seeing my fit-bit differences (between normal and sensitive settings). I had been aiming for 8 hours of sleep on normal setting, but I had noticed a discrepancy in its readings. I would find myself laying motionless or re-positioning myself in bed again and again for hours at night and the normal setting wouldn't record this "awake" period (I monitor this by the nature sounds I play from my phone to help me clear my mind and sleep at night. I set them for an hour or more and when I find myself never having slept and it turning off, I know that the fitbit is not recording my sleep accurately). Even the minutes for "restless" versus "awake" were very inaccurate (many nights I find myself staring at the ceiling thinking about things). I began to interpret my "sleep log" as more of a "rest log" (as I'm lying down in bed resting) until I realized I could change the setting to "sensitive". Now that it's on sensitive I'm super lucky if I get "4 hours" of sleep a night. I spend more than half the time "restless" at night. Hearing other peoples experiences is helpful. I was debating a sleep study myself, but I have no sleep apnea in my family history and my doctor was already skeptical that it was sleep apnea (even though I am currently considered obese in weight - which I'm working on).

[ADDENDUM]   Again, thanks for sharing all your experiences. I find if I (1) make an effort to "let go" of stresses and worries about work & family drama, (2) try to exert myself before sleep (like make sure I've got my heart rate up once or more that day or tried for 10,000 steps that day), (3) make sure I haven't been eating or drinking a couple hours before I sleep, (4) monitoring when I feel a little more tired (before you feel second wind coming on) - all this has helped me to reach my modest sensitive sleep setting goal of "4 hr 40 mins" on an *average* basis. I still have the occasional night with 2~3 1/2 hours, but I have noticed improvements in my sleep vrs restlessness ratios (achieving 50% or more ratio of sleep a night).

I have reached over 6 hours a couple times in the last three months. In addition to the things mentioned above I found that realizing I was not responsible to right all the wrongs of the world and that I'm succeeding on so many levels in life (even if l'm not where I expected to be) - has helped me to sleep those 6 or more hour nights. Listen to your body when it says "I'm tired" and is acting "sluggishly" and give in to it by readying yourself for bed and lying down in a dark room.

I hope this advice can help others troubled by the "sensitive setting". It certainly doesn't solve the stress and anxiety added by seeing how little sleep I get. But I would rather not turn a blind eye to the fact that I have spent a life-time (now 32 yrs old) not sleeping to my full potential. I hate to think that if I don't remedy this now in life - how many years I will have lost of life in my future.

Good sleep - a healing sleep - that is my goal.

"Take it one day at a time, one step at a time."
Best Answer

So glad that someone posted something about this. I switched my mine to sensitive and forgot about it when I was looking for a way to change it so that it would restart the day at 3 AM instead of midnight (never found a way). Was in bed for 8 hours and it said that I only slept for 3.5! This Scared the crap out of me. It wasn't until half the day was over that I remembered that I had switched it to sensitive. But now I am thinking gosh no wonder I am so tired all the time with no energy and have dark bags under my eyes. The next night I only got 2.5 hour out of 7. After 2 nights of this I am going to switch it back to normal because physiologically I am thinking about only having 2 or 3 hours of sleep all day makes me have even less energy.

Best Answer

I wish Fitbit would give us a REAL description of what movements are recorded in "sensitive" mode, as opposed to what is recorded in "normal" mode. The description they keep referring us to is so vague, there's no way to know for sure. If my "normal" setting is showing 7 or so hours of sleep, but my "sensitive" setting is showing 4 hours, what's the difference? I go to bed at roughly the same time every night, & get up at the same time every day. What exactly is "sensitive" mode detecting? Can someone PLEASE give us a REAL answer to that?

Best Answer

Hi

doctors for some reason don't seem to know that RLS is usually caused by magnesium deficiency. 

I got rid of my RLS, migranes and helped my sleep by taking magtein.  Because I am naturally deficient I take twice the normal dosage.  

Its like a miracle. It's important to understand the difference between the Forman of magnesium supplements out there. Magnesium l-threonate is more effective at crossing the blood brain barrier than other forms and unlike magnesium citrate doesn't give you the digestive issues at higher doses.  Chelated magnesium might help you also. 

Take at least three tablets morning and evening.  Good luck! 

Edit - i tried to reply to an answer and inn on my phone but it popped up as  an answer to the main question.  Hopefully it's will get ton the person I meant it to 

🙂 

Best Answer

Beth you might want to get your iron levels checked as many women have low iron and a side effect of this is feeling tired. 

Makos magneium can really help with sleep and the repair of your muscles. Usually if you have toe or feet cramping, restless legs, eye twitching, and/or a bouncing leg when sitting that's usually a magnesium deficiency. 

Hope it helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine looks exactly the same.  I "think" it is bizarre that every person's record is the same.  I too feel I don't get enough sleep but sensitive setting almost makes it worse.  Tried melatonin showed the same. Tried gaba showed the same. Tried an herbal sleep aid with gaba melatonin and more-- the same. So nothing changes except I worry about my "not sleeping". Also when I was awake and not moving it showed me in a deep sleep. How is that possible?  I now feel this is inaccurate for actual sleep recording. Could be accurate for restlessness.  Just because I move a lot doesn't mean I am not getting the rest I need... so I am going to go back to normal so it shows when I went to bed and woke up.  At least it knows I am in bed and my goal will be to stay there for rest... even if not completely asleep. Maybe soon fit bit will fix this feature. Til then just going to pursue living healthy without trying to make myself sleep with melatonin and gaba.  

Best Answer

Hi! I have the exact same situation and just this am I told my husband we need to sleep in separate beds because it clearly must be him keeping me awake! He will be happy to know it is the sensitivity level, and not him! Re sleep apnea. I have it. I do not snore, I don't gasp for air, etc. but my husband told me that even "a loud thought" would wake me up so I did a sleep study and I have sleep apnea! I am retired military, am 5'2", 122 lbs, exercise daily and eat quite healthy. Coincidentally, medicines which are supposed to make me sleepy, keep me awake, just like you. My dr says I metabolize medicines differently, and that I may be missing a necessary enzyme, which means I do not get the full benefit of of the medicine, either. Anyway, I wanted to let you know I feel your pain, and I suggest you get a sleep study done bc I suspect you will be surprised with the answer. I was. 

Best Answer

Could it be that in sensitive mode your tracker is picking up your partners movements too? You mentioned he has sleep problems. 

Best Answer

I have found that I metabolize things differently  (oppositely) as well. I'm a petite built 39 year old Mom with a high intensity personality, mild PTSD, who wakes up when a kid rolls over in the other end of the house.

One thing that has hugely effected my sleep is a raw source (Vitamin Code) B-complex. I know that many people take them for energy but, if I'm having one of those nights where I've already woken up 4 times and it's only midnight, I can take one of those and I'll sleep like a rock the rest of the night. 

Just wanted to share that for those who are still searching for deeper sleep.

Best Answer

Could you possibly be sleepwalking during that time? I believe the Fitbit I have tracks "awake" time as having recently taken steps, so if you do have inexplicably more steps than normal that may be the case. 

Best Answer
0 Votes