Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple wristband failures?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had 2 Charge 2 fitbits and the wristband only seems to last about 3-4 months before becoming disconnected from the device. Once that happens it will not stay on for very long periods without becoming disconnected again. Until now customer service has been fantastic. This latest time they sent a full replacement without question ... BUT...after only 4 months the band disconnected again from the device and now will not stay on my wrist. This time Customer service has sent an email stating "We will evaluate your case based on the information provided and may provide a replacement". Kind of upset me as I've done nothing to cause the problem- I am a fitness industry professional so may be pretty active with it-BUT-it "IS" a fitbit?????? When I asked the customer service representative if this was a common problem, I got no definitive response. This morning I "Googled "failing fitbit wristband" and was surprised to see that the problem is not unique to me. Anyone else have the same problem? I'm hoping fitbit will stand behind their product-guess I'll find out shortly.

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

My warranty expires anytime soon, so will have to see what happens if the current replacement fails.

Best Answer
0 Votes

We own two Fitbits and we are on our fourth wristband Fitbit 2 failure in just under two years. The bands are poorly designed and we are in constant fear of losing the Fitbit. Fitbit will not acknowledge that they have a  defect in there product.

i would not recommend buying Fitbits until this problem is corrected.

Best Answer

My Fitbit Charge 2 came off from where the band is attached to the body.  It took four days to find i.  Fitbit were very helpful but I could not locate it using my IPhone 7 Plus with the the app suggested by the Help Line. It was finally found today using an Android app and an Samsung phone. 

Now I am wary about using it as it comes apart easily. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CalgaryWendy wrote:

I have had 2 Charge 2 fitbits and the wristband only seems to last about 3-4 months before becoming disconnected from the device. Once that happens it will not stay on for very long periods without becoming disconnected again. Until now customer service has been fantastic. This latest time they sent a full replacement without question ... BUT...after only 4 months the band disconnected again from the device and now will not stay on my wrist. This time Customer service has sent an email stating "We will evaluate your case based on the information provided and may provide a replacement". Kind of upset me as I've done nothing to cause the problem- I am a fitness industry professional so may be pretty active with it-BUT-it "IS" a fitbit?????? When I asked the customer service representative if this was a common problem, I got no definitive response. This morning I "Googled "failing fitbit wristband" and was surprised to see that the problem is not unique to me. Anyone else have the same problem? I'm hoping fitbit will stand behind their product-guess I'll find out shortly.

My Fitbit Charge 2 came off from where the band is attached to the body.  It took four days to find i.  Fitbit were very helpful but I could not locate it using my IPhone 7 Plus with the the app suggested by the Help Line. It was finally found today using an Android app and an Samsung phone. 

Now I am wary about using it as it comes apart easily. 

Best Answer
Hi

A lot of people have reported exactly the same issue on here, a few months before degradation if you’re ‘active’!

Fitbit replaced mine but whilst waiting for the replacement, I bought a generic band off Amazon. It is good quality, was cheap and has lasted much longer.

I asked Customer Service how they would have dealt with my issue if I had lost the watch or smashed it, because it did fall off my wrist. They wouldn’t answer that question.

Hope the new one lasts and they replace it no issues. Good luck!

Jo Starr
Best Answer

My assessment is that the designed of the brand almost guarantees a relatively short life.  A firm rubber-housing surrounds the metal attachment mechanism which snaps into your watch.  That rubber is hard with some flex and seems initially very good.  But, and over time due to pulling and tugging (from constant use, twisting, repositioning, and taking the FB on and off, etc.) the rubber stretches, degrades and eventually a crack/split  appears.   That's the beginning of the end, as the integrity of the strap is compromised, and the strap starts to come off rather easily compared to before.  Eventually, it won't stay on regularly and you can easily lose the whole thing if you're not paying attention.  Inexpensive strap replacements are available on Amazon so I've decided to have one or two on standby for the inevitable day.  Once the strap weakens, delaying replacing it risks losing the whole unit.  That's happened to me once already.

Best Answer
 I have the Fitbit Charge 2. I have had to replace the band twice. I have attempted to talk to three support people at Fitbit (Central America?) Put on hold several times. Wasted 30 minutes. Tried Chat. Given the excuse about warranty being over one year. Also tweeted to Fitbit support. No resolution. Was going to buy one for someone for this Christmas. Having second thoughts from the lack of support and resoluton. Design flaw from Fitbit is known but not mentioned much. Seems to have been ongoing issue with many customers. Poor customer service and faulty designis not acceptable. Get it together Fitbit. This is not accceptable, nor are excuses and canned scripts both written and verbally on phone.
Suggestions: 1)Offer the Fitbit 3 at a significantly reduced price because  the ongoing writband design issues.
                     Let customers know if this issue has been resolved or not
                     2) Replace the wristband issues several times and if not fixed, go back to suggetion 1
                     3) Revist and retrain your support department in the  difference between a) poor                                      customer service b) excellent customer service   c)positive customer experience
                     4) Retrain your customer service department to resolve this issue and fix it

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for your answer. As I only have one band I have never had the need to take it off and have always cleaned the band while still attached to the Fitbit, thinking that if I took it off regularly it would weaken the catches. I don’t seem to be correct in thinking this as I have only had this Fitbit since August this year and this seems a short time for it to break. I wondered if a metal bands would work better but have been told that Fitbit does not have the metal bands anymore.
Regards Merle

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hey. Try Fitstraps for a metal band. I have two bands from here and so far so good. They’ve outlasted the original Fitbit one and still look in good condition.

Jo Starr
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Jo Starr.
Thank you for your message. I had spoken to Fitbit about metal bands as it makes sense that metal on metal would be stronger than metal and rubber. I’ll see if I can get one.
Regards Merle.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I, too, have had multiple wristband failures.  The strap eventually detached from my fitbit Charge 2.  Fitbit sent me a new band and when it kept falling off, they had me return the watch for a new one.  A few months have passed and now the band no longer holds.

It seems pointless to exchange, so how should this be resolved?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the same issue with the HR2 model bands, with a free replacement that has failed again. Failing bands dates back to the start of this company. The company is still taking a monopolistic attitude and it will not replace bands after a second failure. Customer support pointed me to a replacement band at $89.00 !

This is clearly a defective design. The bands KEEP failing and we keep buying! Why? Car companies issue Recall Notices for defective parts and fix them at no cost to the customer. The FitBit company has taken a different approach and it will eventually back fire. My loyalty has reached its limit. It is time for all of us to consider other products that are durable and respect the customer input. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
They have replaced the entire watch two times.

Pamela R. Chang
Sent, typos and all, from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Is the product stable now or just another lemon?

@Prenmei wrote:
They have replaced the entire watch two times.

Pamela R. Chang
Sent, typos and all, from my iPhone

Best Answer
0 Votes

In New Zealand we are covered by the consumer guarante act. This states that s product should be fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time, based on price etc.

fitbits are expensive and should therefore last,longer than they are guaranteed for. We need to hold manufacturers to account and enforce this act, the citizens advice bureau has all the information and can answer any questions regarding the act. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I experienced my fourth band failure in just under two years, this time the unit (I think they call it a 'pebble') fell to the ground and suffered a cracked and scuffed screen.
I contacted Fibit via a phone number provided by the company from which it was bought and I received a repalcement unit (pebble) and band; so consequently I am completely satisfied with their after sales service.

Best Answer
0 Votes

3 bands failures since July of 2018. Not sure I am going to buy new ones. Thinking the quality is meant to break so you upgrade to newer devices. Going to look into the Apple Watch quality.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Charge 3.. on my 3rd band.. today i see the original brand fitbit strap is now about to fall in half both on the strap and at the buckle. Id go for another brand but im on 21.5 millino steps and the goal is to get to 25 mill.

I have my old charge 2 strap which has a nice Made in China leather strap thats way outlasted the orginal fitbit strap.. or the versa 2..... if i buy the versa two for sure i will be buying an assortment of cheap straps.... fitbit can make good trackers with a great app but its straps....Made in China quality at its best ! ( or did I mean not best lol )

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm now up to five band failures in approx. two years on my Charge 2, so I have just bought a couple of cheap copies.
So far so good.

Best Answer
0 Votes