Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over counting steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, so like others, my charge 2 is over counting, I've a small property and it's not 45 steps from bedroom to bathroom and I don't walk in my sleep, this morning I've woken to 168 steps! Mmmm something isn't right.
I bought the charge 2 yesterday, noticed before bed the steps were inaccurate, put it down to it 'getting used to my movements'. I've set it up as people have advised, less dominant hand, stride length etc.
Please can someone tell me if I've missed something, should I return it, was it a waste of money?
I know people that wear Fitbit and other brands and seem very happy, sadly I'm not and really like the concept of challenging myself, as I'm not confident to join a gym, but sure need to get fit.
Any advice much appreciated and thank you in advance.
Lee (soon to be fitlee I hope x)

Moderator Edit: Edited thread title.

Best Answer
209 REPLIES 209
Hi Julia, you helped me when I first got the Fitbit.
I am totally confused now lol, so I've got it set as 'handedness' right and 'wrist' left. I am right handed and I'm wearing it on my left. Is that what you are saying. Someone did say to set it like that, unless I've misunderstood?
I understand that certain arm movements would register as a step, we move our arms when walking. All I'm trying to do is make it more accurate. I think any tracker on our arm would count certain arm movements as steps, yeah?
Thanks again for trying to help me 🏃‍:female_sign:

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Leebee50, all wrist worn trackers will, to some extent, give you credit for steps you do not take, because they interpret arm movements as steps.  Fitbit's algorithms are pretty good at telling the difference, but they are designed for the average person.

Some people use their hands a lot, and are very expressive, for example when they talk.  But all people tend to use their dominant hand more than their non dominant hand.  The Fitbit program takes that into account -- that's why they ask which hand you are wearing it on, and which is your dominant hand!

If your hand movements seem to be giving you a lot of extra steps, a very simple solution is to wear it on your NON dominant hand.  You will naturally move that hand less.  However, if you are a very expressive person, or your dominance is more equal (i.e. you do many things with either hand), than you might not fit the average.  In that case you need to tell the Fitbit to "expect more hand movements and don't count those movements as steps because they are not...". The way you do this is to say you are wearing it on your dominant hand (even when you are not).  This is not at all like telling you to wear the wrong size shoes but put on extra socks.  It is simply a setting in a computer program.  It does not make you less comfortable in any way.  

It is just a shorthand way of simply telling the program to expect MORE hand movements and not to count these hand movements as steps.  (It still will count some, but fewer,)

So, in your case, since you are naturally right handed, and the Fitbit is giving more steps than you expect, wear it on your left hand, and tell the program you are left handed.  

I will also add -- and forgive me if I am repeating myself; I don't remember if I said this to you already, that when I first had my Charge HR I was really worried about this issue!  I tend to "talk" with my hands, and I noticed I was getting 10 steps here, 20 there, just from gesturing!  I was in some challenges with friends and really worried I was cheating.  I got so worried that I actually went out and bought a Fitbit One (you wear that on your body, and last year it was rated as one of the most accurate step counters on the market by the Journal of American Medicine).  For several weeks I wore both the Charge HR and the One connected to different accounts so I could compare them.

The results really surprised me.  On a really lazy day (not much stepping but a lot of sitting around and talking or puttering around doing household chores, the CHR usually won.  On a really active day, the One won.  But over a few weeks, on average, they were almost exactly the same... !  What I learned from that was sometimes my wrist tracker counted extra steps, but sometimes it also missed some real steps, and the average was very accurate.  

For me, that means a wrist worn tracker is best, even if it isn't perfect.  I am just not organised enough to remember to grab my Fitbit One the minute I get up and to transfer it from jacket to trousers or whatever whenever I change what I am wearing.  So I love my Fitbit always being on my wrist, day or night.  And I feel really confident, having tried my experiment, that on balance, and over a period, the Fitbit gives me a really good idea of my fitness and how many steps I am taking.

Sorry for such a long post, but I hope it makes things clearer.  Please keep in touch!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
If you are doing something that moves the arm that your Fitbit is on it will count the steps. How would it know different. You people are expecting it to be perfect when it can not be. Just accept the readings as a quide and a few extra hear and there is not going to hurt anything. Look at the big picture and not what happen when you are using your hairdryer.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a Fitbit Alta that way under counts steps. The support forums of people with the same issue. Yes Fitbit says there is no issue.

I am looking for an accurate replacement. It sounds like the new charge 2 is not it. It should not be this hard to find an accurate tracker.
Best Answer

I've been wanting a Fitbit for a long time. I almost purchased an Alta but saw that the Charge 2 came out. So I purchased it. I am currently in a wheelchair recovering from a broken foot. It is tracking my arm movements while I am sitting still and typing. What should I do about this? I am thinking about returning it. Very inaccurate. I am not happy with my purchase. Can someone give me any advice?

Best Answer

If you really are not happy with a Fitbit there are many different trackers out there. I am still not convinced about this whole "telling the tracker one thing and doing another". I don't believe that has been deliberately programmed into the trackers. The whole analogy regarding the shoes has nothing to do with feeling uncomfortable. It's a simple way of saying that the solution does not fit the problem long term. Simple really. I am a massive fan of Fitbit (not as much as some it seems), and that being said honesty can only make it better. So if there is an issue lets just raise it. Fitbit's solution is "ok" for now but it does need to be looked at. The whole over stepping/under stepping does bother some and we live in a world where people can express themselves and if some are not happy then so bit.

Moderator Edit: Edited text format.

Best Answer

For obvious reasons, the Fitbit program has to be made for averages; they use a 3-axis accelerometer to detect stepping motions and write the programs based on extensive analysis of how people move when they are walking, running, etc.

However, if you aren't average, then you might need to make an adjustment to the program to make it work for you.  Adjusting handedness can be a simple way of making it work better for your body and your motions, and this adjustment helps many people get a more accurate step count.

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing:( I wake up in the moring and it says I have like 180-200 steps already? Also by the end of the day I know I dont have as many steps as it says. I will try what you said to do and I will let you know. This website is pretty cool:)

Best Answer

200 steps over the course of say 6-8 hours doesn't strike me as a major error. And if it's overcounting semi-consistently it really doesn't matter.

None of these trackers are even 99% accurate, but they don't need to be.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tend to agree with @Eoghann 180-200 steps is likely to be a small percentage of the active day your Fitbit is designed to help you work towards.  Fitbits aim to be about 95% accurate.  If your Fitbit gives you 200 extra steps over a 10,000 step day, that would make it 98% accurate.

95% accuracy for a 10,000 step day would give you between 9,500 - 10,500 steps.

@Azdebbie, the "steps" you see on waking are almost certainly false steps detected by your tracker because of active hand and arm movements through the night.  From what I have read on these forums, extra sleeping "steps" up to about 50 (ish) or even 75 is completely normal.  If you are getting 180-200 that might suggest either that you are a very active sleeper, or possibly that your sleep is more disturbed than you realise.  I would say in this case your Fitbit is giving you very useful information, and you might want to consider some tips for achieving a more restful night.

Since you are enjoying the Fitbit Community website, you might want to have a look at the Sleep Better section.

Best Answer
Thanks so much, this website is awesome! Its great that people actually read and respond:)

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I got an extra 1000 steps from sitting at my desk. I also can't get my screen to switch when I tap or when I move my wrist the display come up for $267 new zealand doĺlsrs this is one inaccurate piece of technology
Best Answer
0 Votes
My charger 1 never gave me any problems. I will return this and purchase the charger one again unless there is a way to turn off every time you turned your wrist it gives you the information on the face if I can turn this off I think it'll be a lot better but then again Why did I pay the extra $50
Best Answer
0 Votes

@fgp2410, the feature which shows the clock face when you turn your wrist is called "Quick View".  You can turn this off on iPhone.  Go to your account page, choose your Charge 2 ans scroll down to Quick View and toggle it to off.

Be sure to sync your Charge 2 so the change is saved.

I hope this helps!

Best Answer

Hi I'm also sharing the same problem and wonder if you can help me out, I can't find the settings to change the sensitivity of my tracker I have a nexus 6p

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Daniel154, if you find that your Fitbit is overcounting your steps, the best advice is to wear it on your non dominant hand, if possible.  To make it less sensitive, even though you are wearing it on your NON dominant hand, change the hand setting in the app to DOMINANT.  This should make it less sensitive to hand movements. 

You can find the handedness setting by choosing your device (Charge 2) and checking your settings there.

Best Answer
Somebody told me that you can go online and adjust the sensitivity so it doesn't pick up every single move you make, but I don't know how to do it😞

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

In your profile settings, @Azdebbie, you find configurations for "Wrist Placement" and "Handedness".  So, if you set it for Left Wrist and Right Handed, that is more sensitive than if you set it to Left Wrist and Left Handed. Experiment with changing the setting for "Handedness" without changing the "Wrist Placement"

Best Answer

I totally agree.  I ride motorbikes a lot.  2 Hours yesterday recorded over 10,000 steps.  Not quite the idea.

@FocusT25 wrote:

There should be a function on the tracker to start and stop whilst driving. After a long journey or several shorts trips, i cannot remeber the exact times i set off and arrived and thus never input this data via the app. This really needs to be looked at. It can be a feature on the tracker itself, a "Driving Mode" that can be activated the same way excersise can be started

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SeasickSteve and @FocusT25 you might want to vote for and comment on this feature request to add driving mode to the tracker.  Many people agree with you!

Best Answer