Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over counting steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, so like others, my charge 2 is over counting, I've a small property and it's not 45 steps from bedroom to bathroom and I don't walk in my sleep, this morning I've woken to 168 steps! Mmmm something isn't right.
I bought the charge 2 yesterday, noticed before bed the steps were inaccurate, put it down to it 'getting used to my movements'. I've set it up as people have advised, less dominant hand, stride length etc.
Please can someone tell me if I've missed something, should I return it, was it a waste of money?
I know people that wear Fitbit and other brands and seem very happy, sadly I'm not and really like the concept of challenging myself, as I'm not confident to join a gym, but sure need to get fit.
Any advice much appreciated and thank you in advance.
Lee (soon to be fitlee I hope x)

Moderator Edit: Edited thread title.

Best Answer
209 REPLIES 209
Same here

Kind regards
Mark Jones FAIQ CII BSc Hons
International Pensions & Investment Advisor.

European mobile +34 694 458 201
UK +44 (0) 20 8133 9630
UK Mobile +44 (0) 7404 411572

Skype markjones_66

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I took it back and am trying the fitbit 1 pedometer. On a side by side comparison it seems relatively accurate but we'll see!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wonder if this will take care of my 19000 steps I got while riding my motorcycle? I could stick it in my jacket pocket and see if that works?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Focus, I have the same problem of over counting the steps. can you please explain how to get the latest version of the app? and also one more question I have, does the auto recognition has anything to do with the problem of over counting the steps? would disable this option help with the steps accuracy? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Julia, please advise me, I have the same issue, charge 2 over counts my steps, I exchanged it three times from the shop that I bought from, but every device gives me a lot of extra fake steps. Please tell me if I need to check the setting or to change anything in the settings. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The step function seems like a total waste of time, so that makes me wonder about the sleep function mmmmm food for thought how do you check that???

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi - I bought my 1st Fitbit (Charge 2) having been a fan of UP4 for yrs.  I'm now wearing both together and finding the Fitbit way overestimates my steps on walks where I know the distance.  Today my Charge says 14011 so far and the UP says 10,100 which is about right.  I will change stride length as its set at 171 at moment and I'm 171 1/2 height.  I'm shocked at the difference as its substantial.  I'm in rehab from multi ligament surgery so want to get it right so I don't overdo things yet.  I love some of the Fitbit applcations but if I can't sort it by stride/changing/dominant hand etc will stick with my Jawbone as its great on sleep stats too but has major issues with band breaking over time - shame as I love the style of it - think it's discontinued now due to band issues and merger/takeover at Jawbone.  Hopefully can solve overcounting on my Fitbit!  Have used for about 3 weeks now.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for this comment. I have sus

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for this comment. I have sus

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried changing the dominant hand while crocheting but it's still counting as steps. Very frustrating! Now what? Take it off while crocheting?

Best Answer
I agree with you, it's really crazy. Mine is still adding at least 30% extra steps every day compared to my Jawbone which I wear on same wrist. It also doesn't do peak heart rate in gym - I reached 160 on static bike (shown on bike sensors but Fitbit recorded 119. It's a shame as it has good features but gets steps and calorie output really wrong which are key features after all and you can't just take it off to drive/crochet/etc etc - I guess most people don't realise it's doing it??
I go by my UP stats now. I know with my UP that waving arms around had no effect on step count

Charlotte

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's crazy and no you shouldn't need to remove it for driving/crocheting etc etc!! Mine still overcounts by 20-30% on a daily basis and overcounts calories used compared to my UP which doesn't record arm movements however fast.  It also isn't good with HIT training - recorded 164 in gym on bike - Fitbit said 119 max for that, so way out.  Apart from changing hand as we have done what other options???!!   It's a shame as steps/hr are the key reasons we buy them!!

Best Answer

Everyone in this thread may want to up-vote this suggestion. It would solve a fair bit of your problems with over-counting.  Turn step counter off and on, suggestion

Best Answer
0 Votes
To be honest I don't want the hassle of turning it off and on. The software should be good enough that I don't need to. Other providers seem to be new to do a much better job.

Such a function is a workaround not a fix.
Best Answer
I won't replace mine that's for shore

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
No turn other bluetooth devices off fitb doesn't like them what a joke

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Of course a workaround isn't optimal, but until there's a fix, a workaround is better than nothing.

Edit:

Dear Moderators,

Please remove the solved tag from this thread. This issue has not been resolved in any way.

Best Answer
I agree - this is not fixed or solved AT ALL.

A workaround that needs software development itself is not a workaround - better to spend the effort on a real fix. A more effective 'workaround' is to take it off and put it on the table if you don't want it to count, or perhaps just buy a different one that works.
Best Answer

As a software dev, I can say that it totally incorrect. Often a temp fix is made when the full fix will take a ton more time to implement. It buys time while helping the end-user at the same time. Simple logic.  All or nothing is rarely a good idea, and shoots yourself in the foot in the meantime.

Taking it off is not an option when you still want the other features active. Example, when you're sleeping or when you want to keep an eye on your heart-rate. Taking it off isn't anything close to helpful or a workaround. At least a toggle would be functional and not cut you off from the other features.

Best Answer
My point was that it depends how much effort is involved in delivering the work around. You are of course correct that if it took 10 minutes to write the on/off then it would be sensible. But if it needs specifying, coding, testing, packaging and distributing then you might as well do it as a proper fix.

I agree with you, taking it off defeats the point of wearing it, but for many users so does a tool that just doesn't work.
Best Answer