Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting heart rate higher since firmware update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ever since my charge 2 updated its firmware this week, my resting heart has been getting higher and higher within a 4 day periode. My resting bpm is usually between 64 and 71.

Only when i'm sick or during hot weather, does it go further up to 73/74. At the moment there's no hot weather, i'm also not feeling 'under the weather', 

I'm now at 77, and even during sleep my bpm hasn't gone under 68 in 3 days. Now it's not a big jump up, but i'm still noticing it. And every time during the day when i check my charge 2, when relaxed and doing nothing, i'm firmly in the 90+ bpm. When i check my pulse manually, it's much lower. I don't have the wristband too tight or lose and i keep it clean. 

Anyone else having the same experience?

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

That is interesting, @SunsetRunner. I have not seen any increase in my RHR since the firmware update to my Charge 2, in fact it has been staying on the low end of its normal range.  My RHR is normally between 52 and 55, and since the firmware update to the tracker, it has been staying in the 52-33 range.

Have you tried restarting your Charge 2 tracker 3 times in a row to see if that improves its operation?

Best Answer

I haven't yet. I'll try and see if it changes anything in it's readings tomorrow. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So restarting my tracker 3 times seems to have done nothing. My charge 2 says my current bpm is 80+, while i'm sitting doing nothing, while checking manually it's in the high 60's. This way my RHR will continue to rise if it's this much off. So far it seems to be off by 15 to 20 bpm the last few days. 

Best Answer

I am having a similar problem too. My resting heart rate is usually 54-59 and has been for months now. In the few days since the firmware update, my resting heart rate has magically climbed up to 62 or no apparent reason. 

Unlike you however, my normal heart rate does not seem to have changed much. This means that almost every time I am relaxed my current heart rate as monitored by my fit bit is lower than what it thinks my resting heart rate is. As I type this, the fitbit thinks my resting heart rate is 62 yet it tells me my current heart rate is 60. This morning when I awakened, my current heart rate was 58 yet fit bit said my resting heart rate was 62. 

Best Answer

My RHR is now up to 79, it's never been this high before.

I'd really like a solution for this problem, since my charge now says i'm more often than not in the fat burn stage while relaxed, which will also make my burned calories at the end of the day way off.

I checked my pulse manually 5 times yesterday and the charge continues to be off by being 15 to 20 bpm too high. 

I really wish we could roll back a firmware update.

Best Answer

Have you already contacted the Fitbit Support Team? What are they suggesting?

Best Answer

I have not contacted them. But I will say that my resting heart rate is slowly correcting itself/going back down. Today it was 59 upon awakening. That is better than it was, but my current heart rate as measured by the fitbit was 56. So there's still the problem that my current heart rate is often below my resting heart rate. But the gap is getting smaller. 

Best Answer

I'm not sure I understand their algorithms too. I wake up, pick up the phone, sync, so it's within 5-10min from waking up - my active HR shows 52-55, the resting says 61-62. It makes not sense. When I chatted with support, they just gave me the link to their help where RHR is usually 60-80. Still not sense. I also have a chest strap from Wahoo and I measure my HRV in the morning, and the RHR there is pretty accurate 52-56. So it's not a problem of measuring the HR for Fitbit, but the software that "processes" the info and puts the RHR. for most, RHR is lowest HR upon waking up, for Fitbit it's some random stuff...

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Thanks for confirming and letting me know this issue continues! I've gone ahead and created a case for you so that our Support team can further assist you. They will be reaching out to the email address associated with this account shortly. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thank you.

But this morning i went to the shop i bought it from and traded it in for a new one since it was still under warranty. I just added the new charge 2, updated it to the latest firmware and this one seems to read my heart rate correctly as of now. Will see how it goes in the next few days.

Best Answer

My resting heart rate is still weird since the software update. As I type this - sitting at my desk at work - my current heart rate, as measured by my fitbit, is 52 bpm. But my resting heart rate according to the fitbit is 59 bpm. Additionally, the fitbit cannot seem to get my sleep sorted out. It usually says that I started sleeping about 2 hours after I actually started sleeping. I do not know how fitbit determines when you are sleeping vs awake, but if it is according to heart rate, perhaps these two problems are related?  

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Thanks for letting me know you've exchanged the tracker with your retailer. Please keep me updated if you have any issues again. 

@peggathab Sorry to hear you're still having some difficulty with your Charge 2. If you haven't yet, I recommend performing a restart on your tracker. Your tracker determines you're asleep once it no longer detects movement. I suggest making sure the tracker fits snug on your wrist. If it's loose, it might be detecting extra movement. Please read more about Sleep Stages here. If you still have questions, let me know. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To those thinking something is wrong because you see a heart rate lower than your RHR, that is common and not necessarily a problem.  Contrary to how most define RHR as the lowest heart rate during the day, Fitbit has some other algorithm which is not made public, but it is common to see your heart rate a few beats below the "RHR". Fitbit doesn't tell why they do it this way, but it still has value and the same use for judging health and fitness and looking at longer-term trends.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

I wear the Blaze, just bought it, but I did some research and came up with this from Cleveland Clinic!

Fitness fanatics and beginners alike all use these gadgets geared toward exercise, such as Smart Watches. Cell phones are usually kept by their users in pockets. Even when people aren’t using their devices, the devices are still interacting with towers, and the radiation that is released can be harmful to the area of the body that is close to the phone. All this may lead to interference with heart beat patterns, because the natural electrical pacemakers are disrupted by the radiation emitted from these devices. 

Are we all now at risk of cancer from our own beloved fitness trackers?!?!? I think so and now wondering if I shouldn't go back to the old fitness chest strap and watch???

Best Answer
0 Votes

The problem is the spike in the resting heart rate.Screenshot_2017-08-19-11-00-32-1.png

After the update my resting heart had a big hill climb. I have restated my tracker and it still stays up.

Best Answer

Obviously there is a problem since a recent update in the software/firmware that they aren't owning up to.

In the last 10 days, my RHR has gone from a very predictable 51-54 with a nice wave oscillation, to a flat line at 57. 

Same as others have said, some days I wake up with a heart rate around 50 for several hours and my RHR is still 57.

Would appreciate an actual answer, fix or update please.....

Best Answer

I'm having the exact same problem. My resting has been dropping for a month as I've been getting back in shape. After this update it started climbing. Firmware updates suck.IMG_8133.PNG

IMG_8134.PNG

IMG_8135.PNG

Best Answer

Since Sun 22 Oct 17 my rest pulse has rocketed from 60-67 and stayed at 67 all week, regardless of what I am doing.

Screenshot_20171027-075552.png

Has there been another update in the firmware?

Thanks David.

Best Answer

Exactly same problem here. 

Best Answer