Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking data while riding motorcycle.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fidbit racks up steps, calories, floors when riding my motorcycle, even if iI place it in my saddlebags its still racking!!

Moderator Edit: Updated title for clarity. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Does the Fitbit Charge HR have a shutdown option?  I am experiencing the same problem of steps being logged and stairs.  This morning on my 45 motorcycle ride to work, I got 3500 steps and 50 flights of stairs.  This is a problem when I'm in challenges with my friends.  I don't want to "cheat", and the challenges are a big help to my week.  Please fitbit, come up with a solution for us!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

How many steps @Josie24? That's pretty much inevitable while driving any vehicle, probably more so a motorcycle, where you're subjected to much more vibrations from bumps along the way. The 3-axis accelerometer chip inside your tracker is a very sensitive instrument and for sure, some of these bumps could fool it into recording steps. You can delete those steps by logging a manual driving acivity, as described in Can I delete data . Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

TW

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Josie24,

Welcome to the community!

My commute is very short, so I don't observe this phenomenon.  However, one way which you may be able to avoid those steps crossed my mind.

I believe that the trackers do not track while charging, so you may be able to have it "dormant" if you get a USB battery pack and plug it in to charge when you put it in your saddlebag.  I'm a bit curious, so if you try it, let us know if it works.  It's is a bit of a strange workaround, I admit.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does the Fitbit Charge HR have a shutdown option?  I am experiencing the same problem of steps being logged and stairs.  This morning on my 45 motorcycle ride to work, I got 3500 steps and 50 flights of stairs.  This is a problem when I'm in challenges with my friends.  I don't want to "cheat", and the challenges are a big help to my week.  Please fitbit, come up with a solution for us!

Best Answer

Same thing occurs when running a walk behind lawnmower.  I tried loosening and tightening the strap and it doesn't help.  Only way to avoid it is to use the lawnmower with one hand, but it would have to be a self propelled mower.  Even then it is difficult to do with only one hand.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd be very interested in a solution.  I ride my motorcycle to and from work each day...so logging my activity isn't helpful...and that, my friends, is the entire reason I purchased it.

If I take it off and put it in my bag, it still keeps on counting activity...even though there is no pulse.  So this would be a problem while logging the activity of a corpse as well.  And...of course since now I understand this illogicality, it lowers my trust in the steps accuracy altogether.

Question:  How do you turn off a Charge 2?

Best Answer

Hi everyone, great to see you on board! Smiley Very Happy

Welcome @simplicityscott, there is no way to turn off your Fitbit Charge 2, however what I recommend you is to manually log a driving activity using the time you were on the road with your motorcycle. I do it from my iOS Fitbit App by going to the exercise tab, tap in the stopwatch icon and log the activity.

You can also do it from your Fitbit.com Dashboard, click on Log, then on Activities and scroll all the way down where you'll find the option to log (picture attached).

Log driving activity.jpg

If you have a compatible Android or iOS device, I also recommend to download an app called DriveBit while will automatically create a driving activity for you and eliminate the steps.

I'll be around if you have further questions.

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer

I can't believe this is still the go-to response to motorcyclists. "Manually log the time you were on the motorcycle."

For daily commuters, this is a pretty huge pain. If I take a day trip on my bike, I'd have to remember to log each individual chunk.

PLEASE for the LOVE OF GOD add a menu option on the Fitbit to say "I'm starting a drive/ride."

Best Answer

I wish fitbit would stop telling people to log their rides manually. That is not an acceptable solution. I come back on the forums every 6 months or so to see if I can start using my watch again. 

Best Answer

Hello Marlen, I tried the manual log workaround (driving), but the "fake" steps and zone mins still count in my profile. Is this solved with Drivebit app?

Best Answer
0 Votes