Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nickel Free Fitbit Devices

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does anyone have experience with nickel free Fitbits? What would you recommend?

Thanks

Rick

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

Hello, I love this idea. I've had the same problem with my Fitbit Verse 2. After 3 months of wearing I developed rash on the back side of fitbit not the strap. I finally tried blue painters tape, solved my problem. I pull off the tape to charge fitbit and reapply tape. Every couple of days I'll apply new tape.  BLUE PAINTERS TAPE TOO (:

Best Answer

Fitbit says that both their anodized aluminum and surgical stainless steel backs may have trace amounts of nickel - but I am very sensitive to nickel, and I can wear Versa 3 (aluminum housing) with no issues. The Versa 2, on the other hand, was stainless steel and even being surgical grade stainless, it gave me a slight rash by the end of the day - I had to swap wrists in the morning, and again in the evening. (I still do this, because I get eczema from sweat being trapped under the band. But I don't get a rash from the housing).

Best Answer
0 Votes

How is her wrist now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey nanasteps, glad the painter tape works! Good idea! In a different post today someone asked me how I made the holes for putting the screen protector on the back, so I thought I'd post it here too. 

I used the zagg invisiblesheild screen protector installed on the back of the watch.

_0-1667320536577.jpeg

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=fitbit+sense+screen+protector&_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynS...

Step 1 of installation is to remove paper backing & align. After this step I marked the 4 holes (used a thin point Sharpie marker) and trimmed the edges where the band connects (it is a bit long otherwise.)

Then I used a hole punch (picked mine up at Walmart, a whole set of them for around $10 - any hardware store should have them)

Here's a pic of hole punches:

_1-1667320536675.jpeg

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/hand-tools/punches-nail-sets/wilde-tool-reg-pin-punch-set-5-piece...

Pick the correct size hole punch, set screen protector on a scrap block of wood (or something you don't care about wrecking as it will go through the screen protector & cut into whatever is underneath it), put hole punch on mark and hit with hammer.

Here is a video of someone using a hole punch on leather (start video at 3:53 mark)(In the video he turns his leather piece over & punches it again. You only need to do it from 1 side on the screen protector unless it didn't go all the way through from the 1st hit.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zcVPrtojVFg

Then finish the installation instructions for the screen protector. It has lasted on my daughters fitbit sense for over 8 months now with no nickel reaction & the charging ports work just fine with no issues.

Hope this helps!😊

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Best Answer

(Deleted - found out I could edit orig post) learn something new every day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here 

Best Answer

Yes I had the exact same problem, I bought a Versa Lite which was absolutely fine & then changed to a Sense which caused a rash, It’s the back of the Fitbit rather than the strap that bothered me. I’m wondering whether the Versas have less nickel in them than the others? It’s an expensive experiment to try out 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do have a Versa 2, I wore it for a while before I had my rash. I let my wrist heal and once I started using Painter's tape on the back of the watch I've had no problems. Painter's tape works wonders! 

Best Answer