Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMail notifications stopped working in late Sept '19

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Android 8.0.0 on LG V20

Original Versa, v32.33.1.30 firmware

After 10 months of good working operation none of my incoming GMail messages are generating a notification on the Versa. No config changes were made by this user. All other previously set-up notifications continue to operate as expected: Texts, Calendar Events, and specifically selected Apps. It is suspicious to me that this failure may coincide with a recent firmware upgrade that was pushed to my phone in the last week. The reported firmware version on the device appears to be the most current. I have re-toggled all the settings for email notifications and any other relevant toggle switchs that could be related with no resulting joy.

Looking for any advice on resolving this deficiency.😒

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

RESOLVED!

I opened a dialog with Tech Support on Twitter @FitbitSupport, which I highly recommend. The responsiveness of the agent(s) was excellent. After a few exchanges, their recommendation was to uninstall/reinstall the phone app. My final response to taking that action was as follows:

============

Here are the results of uninstalling/reinstalling:
1. GMail notifications are operating again as normal
2. Other notifications, like Texting, continue to function as expected.

Things that didn't fare well in the re-installation:
1. This is a Versa SE. I had a credit card attached to FitBit Pay before the uninstall. After installation I checked to see if the card was still associated. The app appeared to be running the initial setup for Pay as I chose this option. The initialization abnormally ended with an error message and an error code. I ran the procedure a second time and the process appeared to complete successfully and my payment card appears in the panel as expected.
2. I had to reinitialize the default apps for Texts, Calendar, and Email in order for them to be restored to their prior state.
3. None of the individual apps in App Notifications were selected. I had to manually re-select each one individually.

Thanks for the guidance in resolving my issue. My suggestion for the future is to advise customers that uninstalling the app will undo the items I mentioned above. I chose to take inventory of my setting, apps, etc. before the install such that knowing what to verify was all laid out in an orderly fashion. These are the reasons I asked all the questions of you before I followed your advice. My preparation made this much less left to chance, and others will appreciate a more through guidance as well. Just my 2 cents. Thanks, again.
===========================

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

hello again @Dave_Demase ! 🙂 Have you tried enabling gmail app in the App Notification section in the Fitbit app? Most people will simply select gmail under Email section, but have you tried this workaround? thx

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

Greetings Marmi.....
I have always been set up as the following:

1. This is in the primary "Emails" setup under Notifications

Capture+_2019-09-25-11-17-25.png2. This is in "App Notifications" under Notifications

Capture+_2019-09-25-11-26-38.png

As you can see the entry for Gmail is set as the "Default email app" and is grayed out. I cannot select it here, but is "radio buttoned" in the other setting.

I can't find any other setting to play with related to this. Thoughts?

Best Answer

I have the same problem - stopped maybe 3 days ago?  Mine is set up exactly as yours is.  I get all other notifications - texts and calendar.  I also stopped getting hangout chats, so I'm wondering if Google changed something.

-Stephanie

Best Answer

Does Stephanie use Google Calendar for cal events?

I do, but on my mobile I use the Business Calendar app to sync to Google Cal, and I am getting cal notifications on the Versa via the Business Calendar App. In that way direct Google dependency is abstracted and doesn't provide any insight if "Google changed something".

What's your specific situation, Stephanie?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do not, I use the Samsung calendar.  I imagine that's why I still receive calendar events.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do we get this escalated?

It would seem to likely affect a fair number of users in a specific way, and is not an enhancement request but a regressive feature that was working and is now broken.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure.  I've been replying to all the community posts about it as an effort to get them boosted and for fitbit to see this is a big issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dave_Demase You did not just call me Marmi lol It's like Mimi 😄 All I need for Christmas... ughhh 😄 Turn off Email notifications (main one) or choose some other email app, then go to App Notifications and select gmail there. I have no clue what's going on with gmail... 

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

That suggestion makes no diff; Turn off general email notifications and then enable Gmail in the App Specific Notifications.

This appears to be a Change Control deficiency related to the newest firmware upgrade earlier this month. How does this issue get escalated to responsible parties?

Best Answer

@Dave_Demase makes no difference like in doesn't work or makes no difference like in that's not the answer you wanted? I am afraid that's all that comes to my mind beside restoring the watch to factory defaults. As per escalation, I am afraid the only way is to contact Customer Support. 

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

....makes no difference as in..... does not solve the issue.

I have opened up a dialog with twitter account @FitbitSupport, and received a initial response, so we'll see where that goes. Seem like that is "contacting Support", and unless you have a better recommendation for pursuing this I'll likely follow that path for now.

Once again, thanks for your interest in helping me straighten out another annoyance I've encountered.

Best Answer
0 Votes

RESOLVED!

I opened a dialog with Tech Support on Twitter @FitbitSupport, which I highly recommend. The responsiveness of the agent(s) was excellent. After a few exchanges, their recommendation was to uninstall/reinstall the phone app. My final response to taking that action was as follows:

============

Here are the results of uninstalling/reinstalling:
1. GMail notifications are operating again as normal
2. Other notifications, like Texting, continue to function as expected.

Things that didn't fare well in the re-installation:
1. This is a Versa SE. I had a credit card attached to FitBit Pay before the uninstall. After installation I checked to see if the card was still associated. The app appeared to be running the initial setup for Pay as I chose this option. The initialization abnormally ended with an error message and an error code. I ran the procedure a second time and the process appeared to complete successfully and my payment card appears in the panel as expected.
2. I had to reinitialize the default apps for Texts, Calendar, and Email in order for them to be restored to their prior state.
3. None of the individual apps in App Notifications were selected. I had to manually re-select each one individually.

Thanks for the guidance in resolving my issue. My suggestion for the future is to advise customers that uninstalling the app will undo the items I mentioned above. I chose to take inventory of my setting, apps, etc. before the install such that knowing what to verify was all laid out in an orderly fashion. These are the reasons I asked all the questions of you before I followed your advice. My preparation made this much less left to chance, and others will appreciate a more through guidance as well. Just my 2 cents. Thanks, again.
===========================

Best Answer

That worked!  Thanks for taking the time to reach out.  I'm not sure why that fixed it but I'm not going to complain. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes