Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate readings too high in Fitbit Versa

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just went on my first run with the Versa and found the heart rate wildly off. I've had several other Fitbit devices that have registered a peak rate between 160-165 bpm for the same run, on the same wrist, with the same wrist placement. This run shows a lengthy section where my heart rate peaks at 209. I'm in my late 40's... No way that is accurate. Anything I can do to fix this?Screenshot_20180421-121418_Fitbit.jpg

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity.

Best Answer
531 REPLIES 531

I believe we all get this. The heart rate measurements are pretty good when resting but many kinds of exercises make them go quite a bit higher than reality.

Best Answer

Thanks.  To be clear, I was over 180 bpm for SIX HOURS yesterday, and four hours 190+, just doing mundane stuff around the house. ?? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I sent mine back to Amazon for a refund. It was a birthday present and I really like how it looked, the quality of the display and pretty well everything, but it would suddenly jump from around 85 while I was out walking to about 136 and stick there. No wonder it was telling me I was doing loads of aerobic exercise! No amount of fiddling or re-setting made any difference. Wrist-worn HR sensors are a bit iffy so we shouldn't expect 100% reliable readings and I suppose the occasional spike would be fine, but when it sticks at 130 bpm for ten minutes several times per day it will cause other readings to be wrong too. So back it went and I now use a cheap Chinese Kungix which works well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How's the heart rate on the Kungix? Does it have decent tools for working out and for sleep?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Konaneil - It's a 'KUNGIX Q8' (the square one, not the round one) from Amazon. At just £25, it was cheap enough to mess with and not worry too much. It has an attractive colour TFT display like the Versa and all the functions I require - steps, calories, heart rate, sleep etc. A charge lasts over a week.

It's not perfect - the display is limited to 3 types, only one of which shows time, steps and heart rate at a glance. It's also difficult to read the smaller digits in bright outdoor conditions. The single touch-button is too sensitive and will change functions even if just brushed by a wet sleeve.

I tend not to use the more advanced functions, but the sleep monitor works well and and the heart monitor is very good at rest or when gently exercising. A fast run seems to get the heart monitor falling in sync with my steps (due to the vibration of the watch I suppose) but at least it doesn't stick and it returns to proper duty when I stop. So it has its quirks but even if I get fed up with it, it's not a fortune wasted.

The software is called 'Da Fit' and can be downloaded free. It's not as fully-featured as the Fitbit app, but again it shows me what I need to know. All functions seem reliable so far. And at £25, I won't be so upset if it packs up after a couple of years. Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I actually purchased the fruit and I had to purchase an app for HR and
sleep monitoring. It too has flaws in the sleep and HR readings. I use a
pulse ox meter for a more reliable reading to help me monitor my HR.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My app shows my HR went up 196 but I didn’t have it on. It says it was at peak for 11 mins. It also shows my sleep was from 4 am until 6:33 am. Again I did not put it on until about 6:33. But my average heart rate is 66. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I took fitbit versa 2 like month ago,before this new update and hr during the workout was so accurate i compared it to chest strap,and after the update now its not accurate its late,sometime show like 20-30 bits difference etc,im so disappointed

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

Fitbit responded to my complain and my Versa was returned. Waiting for
feedback on replacement Versa. Do not give up
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has been exactly the same, been taking my pulse as I was worried my heart rate was too high, been, burnt over 6000 calories today just pottering around the house! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wearing it up a few inches from your wrist and using a slightly stretchy band helps a little but unless you're sitting or laying down don't expect it to be accurate. If I get mine in just the right position on my arm it'll give me an accurate reading of 110 or so when I'm vigorously using the elliptical. However, when I get off and leisurely walk around the gym with it in the same position it will tell me it's 135 or so.

This is a very old problem that the company keeps promising to fix.

Maybe when Google takes over?...

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would say get intouch with Fitbit, my new versa is on the way, I refused
to accept that they are working on the problem. They replaced my old Versa.
They did not have rosegold so they are sending the versa 2
Best Answer
0 Votes
Please let us know whether the replacement Versa is any better than the
original.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Will do
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the versa 2, recently purchased with a wonderful discount the company gave me after my Charge died a couple of months after my warranty expired. I am a 50-year old, fit woman. While boxing this morning, my heart rate was 202....Clearly I didn’t have a heart attack but I will be contacting them tomorrow to get this resolved. I really like the look of this one so I’ll be bummed to get rid of it. But I find I haven’t had great luck with longevity with any of their devices. I imagine that I’ll be shopping for a better device. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the club, Dee. I sent mine back to Amazon for a refund. It was a birthday present and I really like how it looked, the quality of the display and pretty well everything, but it would suddenly jump from around 85/90 while I was out walking to about 136 and stick there. No wonder it was telling me I was doing loads of aerobic exercise! No amount of fiddling or re-setting made any difference. Wrist-worn HR sensors are a bit iffy so we shouldn't expect 100% reliable readings and I suppose the occasional spike would be fine, but when it sticks at 130 bpm for ten minutes several times per day it will cause other readings to be wrong too. So back it went back to Amazon for a refund.

Best Answer
Hi,

They replaced my Versa with the Versa3, so far so good. But I'll never buy
Fitbit again, next time will be Garmen for me.

Do not accept no for an answer.

Good luck
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got mine at the beginning of last year and from the start it would give quite high pulse readings even when just walking.  It has slowly improved since that time and now does not show as many "spikes".  However, aside from that, the watch is very flaky, particularly with regards to syncing which is very irregular.  Several times a week, I have to restart my phone to get it to reconnect via Bluetooth.  Often the Exercise app won't connect without having to restart the phone.  Overall, I have to say that it is a marginal device.  Just to note that I have a Huawei P20 which is not on their "supported" list.  However, the P20 Lite and P20 Pro are both listed, and all three use the same software, and most of the same hardware, so I don't believe that that is the reason.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I called customer service and spoke with them about the same issue.  They said there is a problem with the app and it is unknown when it will be corrected.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good luck I gave up trying to get a refund or replacement. The Fitbit
Charge HR I had prior to the Versa was pretty good. But would not recommend
Fitbit to anybody now - I have a Samsung Galaxy watch - had for 6 months
and seems good so for 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes