Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Versa in family account

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Trying to set up the Fitbit Versa for my daughter and I can't figure it out added her on family but, then switching to kid view just spins green alert and does nothing. How to fix this?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

We have the same problem. My 10 year old daughter bought a versa2 from her savings and loves it. Nothing until set up indicated this product was not suitable for her age. I then find this problem has been bouncing around for year? This is not really good enough Fitbit. Can you confirm options.

Best Answer

For the record, tweens and young teens would not be attracted to the ACE which appears to be for ages 4-8 yrs old. SO, not throwing my money away by buying that. Regarding my current situation, would have been nice to know that we couldn't make a family account with my son's new Fitbit, an Inspire HP.  You should make this clear on your sales pages and on the box. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AMeze - private message me for some assistance. There is a way, but Fitbit doesn't allow people to discuss it on their forums

Best Answer

Just an FYI -  These illegal processes will likely void your warranty, so keep that in mind.

Best Answer
0 Votes

but if you have already bought it and you can't use it and you can't return it what choice do you have?  It is not illegal.  It is just against fitbits recommendations.

Best Answer

... Which voids the warranty. Do what you want to your device but understand the consequences. Just want everyone to understand.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So to be 100% clear there is no law being broken, the moderators just don't like the workaround for the device not being functional for kids?  Correct?

Best Answer
0 Votes

NOT correct

Best Answer

Hi everyone. As @LizzyFitbit said there are specific trackers made by Fitbit for use by children under the age of 13. This is explained in the "Use of the Fitbit Service" area here. Please follow the guidelines provided to avoid any issues.

I'll be around.

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

so what exactly does this part mean Alvaro?  It appears that all of the parents above including myself are consenting, but still being told they cannot use it without a workaround?

"Persons under the age of 13, or any higher minimum age in the jurisdiction where that person resides, are not permitted to access or use the Fitbit Service unless their parent has consented in accordance with applicable law"

Best Answer
0 Votes

We’re also having this issue; my son has been saving up for a Fitbit versa2 and finally got to purchase it today. He’s 10 and has been working like crazy to earn enough for it. He’s fully aware of the responsibilities of the more expensive device, and used his own cash to purchase it. But, he doesn’t have a phone or his own iPad, and he’s not going to have one for a few years. I need to set him up on a family account under my own Fitbit account, but it only shows Ace/Ace2 as options. I understand the privacy rules for kids under 13; and of course want to safeguard his info. But why can’t we set up a different device that we can still control through the parent account? That doesn’t make sense. He’ll be absolutely devastated if we have to return it because we can’t even get it set up. Please provide a logical & practical solution, Fitbit! 

Best Answer

I think it's funny how all of these paying customers keep asking for help and all fitbit keeps saying to their paying customers is, "Sorry, wait until they are older", and we are supposed to just let it go.  This post has been going for almost 2 years and is marked as answered, but there really has been no answer at all.  The only "answer" we have received so far is an excuse.  We are trying to keep you in business Fitbit, but you are letting us down.

Best Answer

Wow no further comments from FitBit. Do they even understand what their customers want? Parents should decide what types of smart watches are suitable for their children. 

Ps I shouldn’t be surprised as you can’t even have 2 Aces on one parents device. 

Best Answer

@Jsnmk , you can always unfriend your daughter's Fitbit friends that you do not know of, but it could also be that it is the text messages from her phone showing up on the Versa rather than the Fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So here is my actual issue.  I don't want to set up set-up an account for my 9 year old that has full freedom and rights.  I believe that fitbit is 100% on the same page with this.  What I don't understand is why you would restrict the devices available as "kid devices" to just the ace.  What is it about your other devices that makes them inappropriate for children?  I am lucky enough to have not purchased a new device, but was handing down my Versa to my daughter to see how it worked for her.  If you are telling me that this device is not appropriate for my 9 year old to use, I need to know why.  I need to understand what capabilities it has that render it potentially harmful.  

Best Answer

exactly.  Fitbit has terrible customer service in this regard.  My son got a Versa 2 for Christmas.  He's fine with it.  Why should he be limited to an Ace if the Versa is better for him?  Fitbit is going to get overtaken by Garman and Apple.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fact that you marked this feed as "answered" to limit the feedback, when there has been no actual solution to the problem and only 10% of the expressed concerns have been addressed is quite frustrating.  The site won't even let me tag the individual who was actually stating what the issues were which seems even more shady.  I received an error message "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied." when even trying to tag them (@relfst)"

Best Answer
0 Votes

@zlevee you are assuming that Fitbit see this as a problem that needs to be fixed. It's working as they designed. We may not like it but that doesn't mean they will change it. The best we can do is vote for the feature suggestion in the hope that it will influence them to change their mind.

Best Answer

@zlevee - at least they allowed your post.  They deleted mine as "inflammatory" because they can do that arbitrarily.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@relfst - Postings are not deleted “arbitrarily.”  We must follow the Community Guidelines when posting. Posts that violate the guidelines can be removed. 

Best Answer