Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep log inaccuracies

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am having the same sleep issue. Last two nights it shows I sleep for an hour

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
69 REPLIES 69

Hello @Kalush, I hope you're doing well, it's great to have you on board the Fitbit Community! Smiley Happy

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, tell me, have you tried to restart your watch lately? Please keep in mind that sleep-autodetection is based on your movement. When you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device assumes that you’re asleep. Additional data—such as the length of time your movements are indicative of sleep behavior (such as rolling over, etc.)—help confirm that you’re asleep. Morning movement tells your tracker that you’re awake. If you’re not moving but not asleep for long periods of time it’s possible for your tracker to falsely record sleep, in which case you can delete the sleep log from your history.

If you wear a Fitbit device with heart-rate tracking, Fitbit uses a combination of your movement and heart-rate patterns to estimate your sleep stages. The Fitbit app currently has in-app error notifications that provide an explanation for why you aren't receiving Sleep Stages on any given night. This is meant to provide insight into what might be occurring to cause this.The error messages are the following:

1. We need more than 3 hours of sleep to reliably calculate your sleep stages. Learn more
  2. Your tracker couldn't get a consistent heart rate reading while you slept. Learn more 
  3. We couldn’t generate sleep stages for this sleep. Please try again tomorrow. Learn more

When you tap on Learn more, you will be able to get more information about why your tracker didn't record sleep stages. Additionally, I'd like to suggest the following:

• For any of the nights you were expecting to see Sleep Stages, did you ever click on the "Begin Sleep Now" or "Add Sleep Log" functions within the Fitbit App?
    • This is important to note because your tracker uses auto-detection to track Sleep Stages; so there's no need to try and remember to click on anything before falling asleep! 
  • You're not getting 3 consecutive hours of sleep.
    • This is important to note because you typically won't see sleep stages if you are waking up multiple times through out the night or taking short naps.
    • Try to use your tracker a bit upper on your arm and check that you're getting a heart rate read before sleeping, this might also affect the amount of sleep you're getting.
  • Your tracker's battery isn't at a critically low level prior to falling asleep.
  • Your device is tracking and syncing heart rate data.
    • This is important because Sleep Stages uses a combination of your movement and heart-rate patterns. 
  • Your Fitbit App is updated to the latest version.

I hope this can be helpful, thanks for your patience and understanding. Give these steps a try and if you're still having less sleep than you should, please let me know, I'll be happy to continue assisting you. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried all of those tips last night still no date. I had a misfit ray prior to this. It worked perfect. I switch to fitbit for the app. I am thinking about going back. I guess I will return it and try another

Best Answer

Sleep is logging, but still wrong.The  Hour's don't equal the amount slept. I slept 8.5h and it's saying i selpt 6h even after I edited. I've edited my sleep log all week and it's still adding wrong. 11:30-8:30 is not 7.5h slept it's 9h..I bought versa because of all the problems I was having with the charge HR after 4yrs. If this doesn't get resolved I will be returning my versa; $200 is not cheap for something that is not functioning properly! Please fix!!

Best Answer

Hello @Kalush, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. It's great to see you @Milissa, thanks for joining the conversation. Smiley Happy

@Milissa, please note that the time asleep is calculated by subtracting your time awake or restless from the overall tracked time. For example, if you slept 8 hours, but woke up 2 times for 15 minutes each, the time asleep will show 7 hr 30 min, additionally as mentioned before, when you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device assumes that you’re asleep, so it's possible that after you're editing your sleep log, the complete log will be 9h but the time you were asleep will still be 7.5h. 

@Milissa and @Kalush, at this moment I would like to ask you to use your watch on your other wrist and a bit upper on your arm, then monitor it for a couple of nights to see if your logs improve. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and let me know the outcome! 

Best Answer

Please add me to the sleep not tracking correctly bandwagon!  I had a Surge for about 2 years and it recorded my sleep perfectly, right down to the 1.5 hour naps I would take on busy days.  Now I have a Versa and the sleep is not as accurate.  Just yesterday I had a 7 hour sleep but the device recorded it as 1.3 hrs, then a gap when it thought I was awake but I was actually asleep, then 1.5 hours.

It's not every night, I've had the Versa for maybe 2 weeks, but so far I would say it's 60% accurate at sleep tracking versus the Surge which over 2 years was about 90%+ accurate.

Love the Versa so far, and love the dashboard app.  Hopefully the sleep tracking can be improved with a firmware update/fix.

Moderator Edit: Format.

Best Answer

have any of you changed your clock face?  I had one night that tracked correctly, but don't know if i had the original face or not.  Then I switched clock faces and the sleep tracker was all jacked up, i switched back to the original face last night and got the correct graph, i'll see what happens tonight with the original face again and then tomorrow will use a different face and see what happens

Best Answer

-----UPDATE 4/26/18------ I shut off my HR within my Versa and my sleep tracker was correct for last night!!! Definitely a glitch!

Changing clock face Didn't make a difference for me, but thanks for the suggestion.

Didn't make a difference..I always wear it on my non dominate hand and above my wrist bone. Says I was awake 52mins and only slept 6hrs...if I was awake 52 mins, I would remember that!  I slept 7.5h last night and when i edit my sleep and click save it quickly shows 7.23hs and then goes back to 6hrs slept. Im telling you there is still a glitch! love the Versa but not impressed with the sleep app. 

Best Answer

i'm returning my Versa, I couldn't even try my clock face theory because I tried to start from scratch again and now won't update at all, getting a 502 error or something like that

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @midas51276 have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community. It's nice to see you around @SemSquared, thanks for taking the time to reply @MilissaSmiley Happy

@SemSquaredplease note that we're currently experiencing some issues that are impacting several features like the App Gallery and clock faces and possibly Notifications too. Some people have reported that this issue has already been resolved, but this fix is still rolling out.

@Milissa and @midas51276, I appreciate you have have already tried the tips and troubleshooting steps provided. At this moment I would like to gather some information from you so I can report this situation to our team:

• Phone model you're using.
  • OS currently running on  your phone
  • App version currently installed in your phone (go to Account > Help to get it)

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I'll be waiting for your reply. 

Best Answer

Also having issues with it not recording my sleep correctly. My Blaze and Charge HRs never had any issues, they would record sleep and naps. The Versa is shorting my sleep, saying that I woke up hours to an hour before I actually wake up.

Best Answer
Android 7.0, Turbo 2, Kernal, app is Fitbit for Android firmware 32.32.4.19.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Droid
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner and @Milissa, I hope you're doing well. Thanks for taking the time to reply and provide the information required. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your response, at this moment I will forward your information to our team so they can take a better look at this situation.

Once I have more to share with you about this issue, I'll make sure to update this thread according. Thanks for all your patience and understanding. If there's anything else you might want to add or if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer

Switched back to a Fitbit-made clock screen and it worked correctly--sleep was recorded successfully. I previously had one created by a third-party on the clock gallery.

My QUESTION, why isn't there a set of standards for programmers that must be adhered to that maintain all of the core functionality of the Fitbit and then let the programmer customize on top of that? Core functionality must always be first priority. Every app/clock should be fully tested or vetted so that it doesn't screw up the basic workings of the Fitbit.

Best Answer

I am going to try to use a fitbit clock face. never thought of that

Best Answer
0 Votes

I"ve been having the same issue with my Versa not correctly monitoring my sleep.  The other day I woke at 5am as per usual, with my alarm waking me, and the Versa told me I only slept from 11:30pm-3:30am.  Nope.  Please correct this.  I bought the Versa so I could be more aware of my sleep patterns.

PS:  What is this clock face you all speak about?  How ar eyou changing things?  On the watch itself, or via the app?

Best Answer

You change the clock faces in the app, click on your Versa in the top right corner, then Clock Faces. There are a bunch of Fitbit and many more 3rd party clock faces, make sure you read the information on the 3rd party ones, many are paid. I really wish Fitbit added a "paid" category so you can skip them.

Some people on here have had issues with sleep no detecting and they are using a 3rd party clock face. When they switch back to Fitbit one, it works fine (happened to me too).

Best Answer

Hi.  3 days ago when I posted this issue I shut down and rebooted the VERSA again, and since then it has recorded sleep the way it should.  There is a lot of detail that is being recorded across all 4 stages that are monitored (Awake, REM, Light & Deep).  When it was not recording properly there was very little detail about the kind of sleep being recorded, along with huge chunks of sleep time that was simply not being recorded at all.  It's only been 3 nights so I will check back later when I collect more data.

In response to another post, I have changed my clock face to a 3rd party one called "Tiles".  I'm still using that face and will keep it as I collect more data.

Samsung Galaxy S7  --  App version 2.69  --  Android version 7.0 (G930PVPS5BRA1)

Best Answer
how do you shut down the Versa? I'm new to the world of FitBit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

On your Versa, right swipe until you can get to "Settings".  Then scroll down until you get to "About".  At the very bottom you will see "factory reset" and "shutdown".  Hope this helps...

Best Answer