Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa won't charge

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I noticed my Versa died mid-day even though it had 50% battery remaining. I can’t seem to get it to turn back on completely off of the charger.  While on the charger it flashes between the Fitbit logo and a 0% battery logo and doesn’t appear to be charging.  Any ideas?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
56 REPLIES 56

This happened to my mom's Versa. It was fine, just needed to charge. She charged it to 100% and then... it was dead. It would show a backlight on the screen for a bit but nothing on the screen. Then that, too, died. Called Customer Support and they said they could only offer a 25% off coupon for a new Fitbit since it's just barely out of warranty.

I've tried everything to fix it. It's barely 2 years old. With how much money was paid, you'd think it would last more than 2 years. And since Fitbit won't do anything but offer a coupon, we're wondering if we should bother with another Fitbit product.

Has anyone found a fix for this problem? We don't have the money to buy a new one and it should still be working. It just turned 2 years old! With how much it cost, IT SHOULD STILL BE WORKING or at least Fitbit should offer a replacement. A 25% off coupon is ridiculous.

Best Answer
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. I was told the same about cleaning contacts and looking for the green lights. Mine started acting up after the May 4th firmware update and then they pushed a new firmware update a week, or so, ago and mine died fully charged. Prior to May 4th, my Versa would go almost 6 days between charges. After, it was good to made 36 hrs. They don't seem to want to admit it was the firmware updates that ruined our devices. I'm now looking into a new device, sadly, with the lack of support from Fitbit.

Best Answer

So either there was a mistake in the firmware update that killed the Fitbits and they refuse to take accountability and fix the problem for us.

OR

They purposely killed out of warranty Fitbits to try and force people to buy new ones.

So which is it, Fitbit? Are you going to make this right?

Best Answer
Yes mine died suddenly after the firmware upgrade... now I'm looking for a new smart watch and definitely no more fitbit as mine only 18 months old and completely dead! Very disappointing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

Hi there @Unyn and @billbuhs, thanks for the details provided and for your efforts in troubleshooting your smartwatches. I've created a case to get you in contact with our Support Team about this. They will be able to work with you and review your options. Please keep a lookout in your inbox to the email address associated with this Fitbit account. Someone will be in contact with you as soon as possible since due to recent events affecting our operations, support options are limited and wait times are longer than usual. 

Hi everyone! I've seen that the rest of you have a ticket with our Support Team. I'd recommend to keep the conversation with them as they'll know what's the next step to try based on your specific situation and other factors. 

If you've already spoken to our Customer Support Team  who gave a discount option as per our Warranty Policy. This is the best option to help you get back on track with the Fitbit family I'm sure our team will be more than glad to help you further with this. 

While customer satisfaction remains our number one goal, the demands of running a global business require that we enforce our warranty consistently.   

We acknowledge the limitation we have on our part particularly on what you have experienced. We‘re taking into consideration your comments and sentiments with regards to our products and services as your feedback helps us to keep improving. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow, Fitbit does "acknowledge the limitation we have on our part
particularly on what you have experienced". What does that mean for
a device that's five months old?
As a global company that wants to enforce their warranty, with all these
comments, I hope they take care of us. If it was an update that shut our
watches down, they need to replace all our watches! If Fitbit backs up
their products, mine is only five months old, I'll stay. If not, I won't
come back. My wife has had a Fitbit for five years, no problems.

And I'm sorry, if companies are not figuring out how to work during a
crisis that's been ongoing, they need to figure it out. I work for a
national company, we are pushing through and do not have long response
times.

Bill

If you wish to give God a laugh, tell him your plans 🙂
Best Answer

I've called them twice today alone.

My Fitbit died two days ago, I charged it, it worked for a few hours, but would only count my steps up to 13 or 16 and then stop.  When it died again last night all of the charging in the world will not turn it on.

When I called the first time this morning (9am; 6/11/2020) they said that they were aware of the bug and their team was fixing it, but until then it may be a battery problem. It's not, but I tried the instructions for a battery drain anyway because I didn't see the harm in trying.

After three hours of charging it still would not turn on, I called them for the second time today (12pm; 6/11/2020), tried to hold down all three buttons at once and it still won't turn on. Now they're saying that because I'm 137 days out of my warranty they can give me 25% off, but can't help me further.

I've been a loyal customer for 5 years, since the original Charge and Charge HR were available, but now I can't get help because of a screwup they made? Even if they were to fix the bug in the next update how would I be able to update my Versa if I can't even get it to turn on?

Best Answer

I'm sorry but WHAT?

This is clearly a problem that Fitbit caused. Why else would all of these Versas die AT THE SAME TIME? Why would we all have the same issue? Fitbit caused this and you need to make it right. Giving me 25% off of a new Fitbit is simply ridiculous. YOU broke it so YOU should either fix the Versa or give me a new one. 

Do the right thing. This is crazy. Own up to the problem you caused and issue us replacements.

Best Answer

My Fitbit updated the other day and now won't turn on. I have tried restarting both ways I have bought a new charger. I don't know what else to try as I have read this whole thread and tried everything suggested

Best Answer

I am also having this issue. It have tried reset and all I get is a black screen and it stays black even on charger. Please advise on how to fix issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, you can't. Fitbit messed up an update and it killed the devices. Nothing will work and they will only offer you a discount to get a new one.

Bascially, they killed your watch but still want your money in the form of you buying a new one.

I have just sent them this email because they have not resolved my mother's killed watch situation.

Hello,

I had a Fitbit and gave it to my mom when I got a new one. It was barely 2 years old. Working great. One day, she charged it and then it just died. Can't do anything about it. I tried all the things it says online like resetting, charging, etc. Then I came across this forum thread: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa-Smartwatches/Versa-won-t-charge/td-p/3627254

Basically, I have come to believe that an update from Fitbit is killing Versa watches (and perhaps other models too) and you are doing nothing about it. Offering a discount to get a new watch is unacceptable. YOU killed the watch. YOU should replace it. I would like to get a replacement watch for my mother since you killed her watch.

Thank you,
Name

Best Answer

Hello everyone! 

We're sorry to hear that you went through that situation with your Fitbit Versa smartwatches. We‘re taking into consideration your comments and sentiments with regards to our products and services.

Please note that our main purpose is to avoid negative experiences to our customers, we're always willing to help and provide troubleshooting steps. Then, if the tracker is deemed defective we review eligibility using the one year warranty option.

Additionally, our products are indeed designed and made to last (this goes for each product component) however, there is not an infallible way to ensure that no issues will be present in the long run. Because of this, our Warranty Policy is set into providing as much coverage as we can.

For more information about the outcome of your case, please get in touch with our them again and also, you can check our warranty policies here for a better understanding of the information that they provided to you.

Hello @HarveyN, welcome on board. If your Versa is not charging, I'd recommend trying the following steps:

• Clean the charging contacts on the back of your device and the pins on your charging cable using the instructions in How do I clean my Fitbit device?
  • If the error "insufficient power source" appears on your device's screen, remove other devices plugged in to your power source, or plug your device in to another source.
  • Try a different USB port or a UL-certified wall charger.
  • Check the alignment and try reconnecting your device to the charging cable. For more information, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  • Restart your Fitbit once again. For more information, see How do I restart my Fitbit device?

Let me know on the outcome. 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just letting you all know not to bother trying to get replacements. They don't care and won't do anything.

Below is the email I got back:

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for getting back to us with the requested information.

We have carefully reviewed your mom's account and we can see that your mom's Fitbit Versa is no longer eligible for replacement. We found out that you already contacted us previously regarding this device on June 04, 2020 and our team offered a 25% discount that you may use to purchase a new Fitbit device.

We acknowledge that this is not the resolution you were looking for, but please understand that at the moment we won't be able to fulfill your need regarding the replacement as we also have policies to follow.

Let us know if you have other questions to assist you further. 

Best Answer

They sent me an email yesterday telling me I had 15 days left to use my 25% off and if I have any questions to reply to the email. I'm going to tell them what I've written on here the last few weeks. 

Time to buy a Garmin. This has been awful customer service and a disappointing end to what I thought would be the only fitness company I would ever buy from. 

Best Answer

Seeker13, et al, I received similar from them, except they threw in a free app update pitch. Here was my reply (originally posted here but removed for my last statement):

"The warranty status of my device is irrelevant to the manufacturer causing a malfunction after the sale due to manufacturer-provided maintenance. And, based on the number of complaints of similar malfunctions due to the manufacturer's update of the device's firmware as posted by members on the community forum, mine is not a random malfunction. It is attributable directly to the firmware update. The fact that Fitbit has not offered a direct replacement device nor requested my device for forensic analysis further points to Fitbit being fully aware that the firmware update was the cause of these numerous malfunctions.

It is also comical that Fitbit offers an app software update to me so I can use their app for a device which is unusable due to this previous firmware update. This is akin to offering me a new car remote for my car destroyed by defective maintenance service"

The paltry remedy that has been offered, a discount on a new purchase THAT EXPIRES in 30 days, is obviously unacceptable to those on here who've been impacted. This has sealed my fate to migrate to another brand. 

Moderator Edit: Word choice 

Best Answer

Hi @PeterTravels, @SunsetRunner, and @Seeker13. We understand and respect your decision regarding the 25% our Support Team previously offered.

Please know that when a Fitbit devices is deemed defective we review eligibility using the one year warranty option. For our full warranty terms and conditions, see our Return Policy and Warranty.

Fitbit does not warrant that the operation of the Product will be uninterrupted or error-free. See the Fitbit Terms of Service for details of your rights with respect to use of the software and related services.

Let me know if you have any questions present. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello! This is the exact issue I am having with my Versa. Were you able to find a solution?

Best Answer
0 Votes

No the only solution I found is to throw it out. Nothing works when it wont turn on. I am switching over to a different brand

Best Answer

I found this thread because mine just did the same thing, and I got the same ridiculous response of a 25% off coupon. 

This is also the SECOND Fitbit device I've had do this. Just cut off one day and won't recognize anything. Black Screen. 

Best Answer
0 Votes