Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"This device has been locked and cannot be paired." Help?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, I had recently gotten my Fitbit Versa and I had set it up on my phone with no problem. Eventually the battery was very low, so I decided to turn it off for a few days (until I got a spare charger). This was on the 6th. As of the 10th, the Versa unpaired itself from my phone, and it gives me the message:

"Cannot Pair

This device has been locked and cannot be paired. This may happen if a device is reported lost or if a warranty replacement has been issued. If you believe this is in error, please contact Customer Support."

I am unsure if it is because I changed my Fitbit password (and it might've un-synced because of that?), or if it might have unpaired for some other reason. I did call Fitbit earlier today and we have tried the following:

1. Turn Bluetooth off, turn it back on. Un-pair Versa and re-pair it to my phone.
  2. Soft reset the Versa by holding left side and lower right side.
  3. Uninstall the Fitbit app and re-install.

All of these solutions didn't do anything, as it is still locked. I am unsure of what to do next.

Any suggestions would be welcome as I am waiting for Fitbit support to get back to me.

Thank you!

Best Answer
43 REPLIES 43

Hello everyone. Sorry to hear about your locked devices. If you are having difficulties please let our Support team know so they can further assist you.

Keep me posted.

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately the majority of us have contacted Support and are not getting anywhere. For example, I first contacted them almost 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear back with a resolution after they supposedly accelerated my case

Best Answer

It was very frustrating for me to go over 2 weeks with my Versa that I use for work alarms and my work-outs.  I was very persistent in contacting Support and finally one of the techs named Dann understood my

extreme frustration and re-escalated by "case" to security again.

I would encourage support to reach out to anyone here who has not had a response.  PLEASE!

Best Answer

Please, I'd love to hear from support. My case has also been "escalated" but I haven't had any responses.  I've filed a report with eBay ( since I purchased my Versa through one of their sellers).  After providing photos, sales receipts, etc. I was able to get a refund from eBay.  If it was just one more day, it would have passed the allotted time to make a complaint and I would have been out of a Fitbit and money.  I believe this is what the sellers are doing.  They are selling "refurbished" Versa's, then they are reporting the sold Versa as lost/stolen, and are getting replacements to keep selling.  They continue this circle of fraud when paying customers are being robbed of a working Fitbit.  How can this be fixed? Please, all I have now is a fancy step counter that can't be linked to anything. It's extremely frustrating.

Best Answer

AlvaroFitbit:

Is Fitbit planning to do something about this situation?

I just bought a Fitbit from eBay and got the same error. I just reported to support but, I don’t want to be in a position with waiting for Fitbit to make a decision when I can get a refund.

what is the next step of actions for the customer?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My device is still locked. I had the chance to used it only for 3 weeks....i'm still waiting for a solution from customer support, where i reported the issue 3 weeks ago....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I been having the same issue. It’s been a week and half. I even contact Fitbit twice already. They told me to keep waiting. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This issue became my 1.5 hour customer service headache this morning. Yesterday my versa stopped syncing so I tried to unpair, turn off bluetooth, uninstall app,reinstall app, soft reset watch, all the troubleshooting -  and then I get the error that my device can't be paired because it's stolen or under warranty claim.  My watch is a replacement for one that stopped working in under a year, and both of mine were bought through Best Buy. Maybe they refurbished my previous watch and sent it out somewhere?  A support tech person this morning (one of 3 I was disconnected from) actually asked me to verify I was trying to pair the correct watch and not the one I returned.  Smiley Indifferent like, seriously? The watch I returned to the store in order to get a replacement?   The twitter support person said they were opening a case for me. I just got this replacement in March. At this point I wish I would have gotten a Galaxy smartwatch.  Customer support acted like they had no idea what could be wrong or having heard of this issue before. 

Best Answer

Hi, Can you please let us know what is the issue here, I am having the same problem. I did raised a case with Fitbit but haven't heard back from support team and it has already been 6 days. It looks like Fitbit is clueless about the issue or they don't care even to reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought a replacement pebble from what seemed like a reputable seller on ebay, and after trying to pair for the first time have received this same message. I'm encountering this thread now while in a second support chat with Fitbit (after 24 hours of silence) but suddenly way less hopeful about a resolution. Ugh. Come through Fitbit!

If anyone knows a specific support line/dept/email/contact of someone who could expedite, feel free to DM me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got this message about a week ago. I thought my eBay replacement was reputable too. Oh well.

“I am with Fitbit’s Brand Protection team and will be investigating the incident involving the Fitbit device you purchased on eBay.  As you may be aware, eBay is not an Authorized retailer for Fitbit products.  Unfortunately, the individual you purchased the device from on eBay, acquired the device by fraudulent means from Fitbit. 

Fitbit is working with eBay on this investigation and has asked that you initiate a claim against the seller through eBay’s money Back Guarantee Program to receive a refund.  If you have already filed a claim, please provide us with any claim numbers or corresponding information so Fitbit can track this accordingly.

We also ask that you hold on to the disabled Fitbit for the time being until we complete our investigation with eBay.

Fitbit appreciates your assistance with this matter.  If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Good luck to those of you still having issues!

Moderator edit: removed personal info

Best Answer
0 Votes

Today, my versa has turned into the same situation. Is there any solution? I am very depressed now... help me plz. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got mine on ebay as well thinking buying a  brand new pebble is a great deal . When I got it I pushed the main button and "data not cleared " appeared on the device. I didn't have any problem setting it up though but after 15 days it was disconnected from my phone. I tried to set it up as a new device but just kept getting the "cannot pair" pop up saying it's locked.  I did every recommendations i found but nothing worked. I've contacted customer support but still waiting for an email from one their teams. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit customer service is a freaking joke! All these people with the same problem and all a moderator can say is contact customer support? Did you not read any of the replies? Everyone is contacting customer support! Add mine to the list.

Best Answer

Have the same issue. Talked to fitbit twice. They are not getting back to me and this is not working out

Best Answer
0 Votes

Get your money back, it's fraud. They have ppl only selling the pebble on eBay and it's a scam

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's very frustrating dealing with them. Once they send you an email they will ask some information and once you gave it to them, they'll only say that the device was acquired fraudulently  and that you should file a claim to get your money back on ebay.  They will also offer 25% discount to purchase a new unit directly from fitbit. They sent a link to try to re-enable the device but it didn't work. It's so frustrating that they can't or doesn't do anything else to re enable the device.  I really like the versa but I'm not planning on buying a fitbit device again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I didn't even get the 25% off offer. Fitbit is out of control.
Best Answer
0 Votes

So true. Same fiasco over here

Best Answer
0 Votes

I called Fitbit back in June regarding the same message (cannot pair due to being reported lost or stolen).  They escalated my ticket, sent me an email asking to provide purchase information.  I sent the information back the same day and here we are 6-WEEKS LATER WITH NO RESPONSE!!!!!  That in itself is just unacceptable.  So I take it upon myself to call Fitbit today and after speaking with an agent I found out that since I didn't purchase the fitbit in a store or at fitbit.com, they aren't willing to do anything for me.  I spoke with the person that I bought the watch from and she swears that she did not report it lost or stolen.  After reading all of the comments in this thread, it appears to be a Fitbit defect.  So I have this beautiful Fitbit Versa that is COMPLETELY USELESS at the moment.  I'm hoping to get some resolution to this because I have been a very good Fitbit customer over the past 10 years or so and if I have to go out and buy another watch for my daughter, I will not be buying a Fitbit just because of the non-customer service experience.  I hope someone finds a fix for this because "Darryl" on the phone didn't!

Best Answer
0 Votes