0 Votes

Add Cardio Dance or Dancing to exercise list

I wonder if Zumba could be classified as a step based activity. I have to remember to take by FitBit off so that it doesn't throw off my step count, and then hope that the other counter I use has an accurate calorie burn count. It would just be nice if I didn't have to mess around with diffrent apps and devices.

Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

111 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This would be interesting @SunsetRunner since Zumba is not a stepped based activity per say, but I think this is a good idea to consider. I will be happy to send your request to our developers so they can evaluate it.

Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share or vote for them, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum. Thanks!

katecabral16
First Steps

I noticed the other day during a dance class that it was not counting my steps as accurately as I had hoped. When I brought this up to my dance teacher who wears a fitbit charge HR, she said she had noticed that same thing. She dances all day for her lessons and for some reason it seems to not count the steps during certain dances (foxtrot this particular time, but she mentioned any type of box step doesn't register). I feel as though this is mainly because there isn't necessarily forward motion during a ballroom dance, but a lot of back and forth. A good update for the Blaze would be to add Dancing as either an automatically registered or manually tracked exercise. Thanks!

jMom34
First Steps

I've seen a lot of posts about people that participate different kinds of dancing.  Adding a dancing option to the Activity Type could cover everything from square dancing to belly dancing, or even U-jam and Zumba.  Dancing can be a great workout!

Daversa7
First Steps

I would love to see a option for Dancing in the excersize section of the watch. Dancing burns a lot calories and I know many dancers who own a Fitbit. It would be great to be able to track heart rate and calories burned while dancing. This could be applied to all different intensity levels from the begginer in a Zumba class through a professional in class or at rehersal. Would really really love this option as an excersize or a sport. Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Moolinda88
First Steps

YESS!! There's Yoga, Martial arts.. etc but not a "dance"?  This would be a great edition! So many activities can fall under dance, whether it's zumba, hiphop dance, salsa classes, etc. Dancing is a great workout! 

atelcontar
Jogger

+1

Would love to have this option. And I agree with katecabral16 above that when I dance, I should have far more steps than what fitbit (charge HR) actually counts in the normal workout mode. Particuarly in ballrom dancing where my arm is relatively level throughout. I noticed that if I put my old Flex tracker in my pants pocket it will get a lot more steps than the Charge HR that i'm wearing on my wrist. It would be great if the steps could be more accurate on the Charge HR/Charge 2 since I rarely wear clothes wtih pockets when I dance. 

Lifechild49
First Steps

I agree.  Please add a dance/Zumba option.

petereliw
First Steps

Please add Dance to exercise list 

MagicJessBell
First Steps

As a performer (dancer, singer, and actress), I take different specific dance classes every day and WOULD LOVE specific types of dance to be added to the exercise list, especially Jazz and Tap. Different levels of these exercises would also be very convenient, like beginner, intermediate, advanced, and professional. About half of the dancers at my studio wear fitbits, and we are ALWAYS talking about this issue. Every fitbit-wearing dancer I meet agrees. 

And, only because I REALLY want this to get through to the employees at Fitbit, I think we would have a better chance at getting what we want if we can possibly respell the title so that "excersize" is spelled "exercise."

Thanks for posting this!!!

Ashoooo
First Steps

I agree that there should be dance added to the workout menu. There are plenty of dance workouts and it's one of the more popular forms of workout. I imagine more of your customers world use dance over others such as golf. I dont think many people think of golf as a workout. Please add dance to the workout feature for Blaze. Thank you.

Wannab133
First Steps

Is there a possibility for FitBit to team up with Zumba to calculate workout calories steps etc as one of the workout options. Or at least is there a dance workout option in th works? It's a very popular form of exercise as is foam rolling as well. Thanks!

Lisadance
Recovery Runner

I have a new charge2 and it lets me down when I'm dancing and teaching my zumba classes, it doesn't seem to count enough steps.

if you could Cali rate dancing as an automatic recognised exercise, it might be more accurate at counting dance steps.

its fine with walking, but seriously undercounts dance steps compared to the flex, or original HR 

Gloeee
Recovery Runner

Is it possible to add 'dancing' to the watch activity lineup? I find myself dancing a lot, whether in a class or just to music around the house.  Thanks.

Sophia1061
First Steps

Who agrees that one of the activities would be dance or ballet????

Leela821
First Steps

Hi!

Please add the calorie count for all Zumba classes:

Zumba

Zumba Toning

Zumba Strong

Aqua Zumba

Etc.

There are over 10 versions of it!

I have a Flex 2

Sadiesoph
First Steps

Can Zumba be added to the track workouts? Thanks!

stacyll
Jogger

Seems like there's an overwhelming desire to add Dance! Please Fitbit developers listen to the users!!

stacyll
Jogger

Please add category Dance as an exercise shortcut. It's a big oversight that this popular form of exercise is missing. 

Shrutirey21
First Steps

How do I add dance to my fitbit charge 2?

Moderator edit: format.

domynoe
Jogger

I was pretty surprised to not see dance on the list when I got my HR. A LOT of people dance! It's one of my fave activities! It needs to be added to the list! Seriously!

djbennyg
First Steps

i am a dj in south florida and see lots of people at the club with there fitbit on and i always have mine on to get my steps in. so i am hoping this is something that will happen one day 

KazKel2
Jogger

Yes, please add 'Dance' as an exercise shortcut! I play 'just dance' on the xbox and it would be ideal to have a shortcut.

Thank you 

Regards

Dawnwriter
First Steps

I agree, please allow us to track our dancing workouts.

cricketro
Jogger

Yes, please!
I am starting tango lessons this Fri and I really cannot keep track of exactly how long i dance vs how long I stay idle to log manually.
I am using Charge 2

cricketro
Jogger

so my Charge 2 doesn't record anything when I dance but my super old One is able to. simple fix for now. but it is so old, the batter barely lasts several days. sigh.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.