0 Votes

Add Cardio Dance or Dancing to exercise list

I wonder if Zumba could be classified as a step based activity. I have to remember to take by FitBit off so that it doesn't throw off my step count, and then hope that the other counter I use has an accurate calorie burn count. It would just be nice if I didn't have to mess around with diffrent apps and devices.

Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

111 Comments
carly.o
First Steps

You are discriminating against dancers who train every single day for hours on end. Many people also dance recreationally to get their exercise in, including attending Zumba classes. There is no reason why dance should not be included in the exercise list. Personally, I dance 5 days a week and am very disappointed after purchasing this product. Please add dancing to the exercise list. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @carly.o. Thanks for taking the time to explain why you would like to see "dance" added to the exercise shortcuts with us. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

KenTay5534
First Steps

I just purchased the Inspire HR. I've been debating for so long on purchasing a fitbit, and finally, I just did it. I was so excited to receive it because I new I would get real-time tracking in my daily life from steps taken, sleeping patters, to my workouts. My aunt has had one for years and always advocated for it. I knew purchasing one would help me stay on track.

After a few days of having it, it was time to go to the gym. I love to do high intensity Dance Fitness and my gym offers a group class for it. I was excited to be able to see my BPM and how many calories I'd burn!

Long story short, I wasn't able to accurately track my workout because my Inspire HR does not have a feature for logging cardio workouts. Most every other app I've used in the past has some kind of cardio or dance workout tracker. The only options I have are biking, walking, swimming, aerobics, running, treadmill, weights, and timed intervals. Cardio (and dancing) is a very common workout, so I find it odd it's not an option. 

After chatting with an agent, he/she revealed that I will have to log my dance workout every time. It is a bit of an annoyance. I bought this device so it would automatically track my workouts (or at least of an exercising option to track it).

My aunt has a different fitbit than I do, and hers has a general "Workout" mode. It would have been nice if my device at least that that option as well. 

I purchased the Inspire HR because it claimed to have better features than the general Inspire. I would like to suggest that all devices at least have a general "Workout" feature or at least a cardio workout setting.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @KenTay5534, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option with Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Colleen333
First Steps

Add hula hooping and dancing. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Colleen333, we wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:

Hula Hooping as an activity
Add Cardio Dance or Dancing to exercise list

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Daversa7 and thanks for sharing this suggestion, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this suggestion has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here.

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

LZeeW
Ultramarathon Racer

The Workout exercise shortcut is not a great choice for dance and Zumba.  The Workout shortcut doesn't list steps in the real time stats.  Please, please, please add dance as an exercise shortcut with the right kind of real time stats.

JBell413
First Steps
I SO agree! Dance should be added!

Sent from my iPad
Hiiria
Jogger

Hi! I totally agree that zumba and dance should be added as a separate activity. "Workout" activity seems to be the best choice for now but I am not very pleased. I would love to have a there a real time step stats as well as my zumba and fitness exercises are mostly step based. In addition to that it would be awesome if I could set steps as a goal.

Versa2enthusias
First Steps

Absolutely devastated that my versa2 doesnt track dancing. I love the versa2 but this is a big downside. Please add dancing or Zumba. I dance every week at Zumba class and always have the most steps that day. Having dance as an exercise option would make the device so much better. Please consider adding it soon. Thanks in advance.

JBell413
First Steps
I totally agree!

Sent from my iPad
GráinneH
Jogger

Would love to have dancing included on my Fitbit Versa 2.

It's the main form of exercise that I do so it would be amazing to have it as an exercise that could be tracked 🙂

Please 🙂

Cajaxx
First Steps

It seems as if so many people agree!  Please add dance or cardio dance to exercise shortcuts. Thanks!

Jewel81
First Steps

We really need this feature to be added to the fitbit list of exercises. It has been being requested for the last 5 years and has still not been added. Please do this. Many of us dance for exercise and with Covid, we are not able to get out like we used to. Please please add Dance to this fitbit exercise list. I would really like to upgrade to the new Sense from my Ionic, however if a dance option isn't added I will have to purchase another health tracking smartwatch. I would really hate leaving fitbit because I have appreciated it over the years, but it is time to add this feature we have been asking and many have voted on adding it. 

JBell413
First Steps
I agree!

Sent from my iPhone
skattikatti
First Steps

This is a must popular form of exercise! A prehistoric form of exercise. Why is it not recognised?

Jacobwoods
First Steps

I really want Fitbit to Add this because i am obese ane my Charge 3 inspires me to exercise but i Love dancing using YouTube and dancing to The Fittness Marshall’s videos please add this

Ankhsunamun
First Steps

I do Hula and ‘Ori Tahiti dance. It would be great to have a shortcut option for this activity. 

justjoolie
First Steps

like many other, my primary source of cardio exercise is dance. i guess all my teachers use apple watches, since they just press “start dance workout”. i never imagined fitbit sense wouldn’t have the same! seriously considering returning. (the other features  important to me were pulse ox - which is only tracked when i sleep?!? and stress monitoring - which requires minutes of holding my bare hand over the watch - so neither hand is available). very disappointed.

emmamy
First Steps

Dance is my primary source of cardio as well; I'd like the be able to track my dance workouts with Fitbit.

SLMayne
First Steps

Hello,

I own a dance studio and have had a number of students, myself included who own fitbits. The tracking is very poor for dance because often dance does not have high impact, therefor not registering the activity. For all the technology and features, dance is a regular part of many individuals lives and should be a feature recorded. For me, that is 90% of my activity accounting for hours of dance. Due to the grace of the movements they are not registered as steps, only heartrate is detected. It takes points off of the many health programs and challenges I am enrolled in through my employer for insurance discounts and the teams I am on for fitness accountability. Such a large group of people should be prioritized as we are not all runners. Thank you. 

olestokie
Recovery Runner
I've been requesting this for years, picking up manu replies to this. It is
beginning to look like there is no chance of it happening. Personally it's
ballroom and Latin on my side, when I've counted, Fairly easy to do on a
sequence dance, my Versa only counts between 10% to 20 % of the steps!
dinnydoowop
Stepping Up
I agree!! I have been requesting this for years (and so have hundreds of others) and it does not seem to be coming any time in the near future. I switched to an Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPad
MudkipDee
Jogger

I would also like to put my vote in for dance. Theres nothing really similar to set it to and I found it disappointing that it's not an option.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.