Add Interval Training Timer (HIIT) That Buzzes at a Certain Pace

Hello,
I'm excited about the new products. I am a run/walker, and in training for my recent marathon, a friend had a garmin watch that vibrated at certain intervals. (Ex: if I wanted to have a pace of 3min run/1min walk it would vibrate at those intervals to keep me on track).

Moderator edit: updated title for clarity, merged related suggestions

582 Comments
Metalheaddoc
Jogger
I would like to be able to program an interval timer into the app so I can do HIIT or Tabata type workouts without looking at a timer. The Charge could give a long vibration to start the work interval and a short vibe to start the rest interval. Something like that. The timer on the display would be nice too, but then I would have to put down my weight/kettle bell/rope to look at my wrist.
I like this idea!!
lcjennings
First Steps

Please provide the ability to use run/walk intervals... i'm fine with setting them up from my iphone but it is definately going to be used with every run!!!!  I'm a 30/30 runner and right now i'm having to use my garmin on top of my surge to provide this!!!!  PLEASE!!!!

lcjennings
First Steps

Please Please Please add the ability during the runs to have a vibration at a set time... I run 30 second intervals with 30 second walks and I need to know when to switch up.  At races a good number of people use this method and I want my Surge to be able to provide this for me!!!!  Loving my Surge other than this one missing feature 🙂  Help a girl out, will ya???  🙂

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Need to be able to set vibration alarm on the Charge for interval timing so the intervals can be set before starting training.
ajeb97
Jogger

Yes please! Interval Timer/Training options are exactly what I am looking for when I upgrade. Holding out a little longer hoping FitBit adds this!

Eric1975
Jogger

Definitely want interval training capabilities for my Surge!  Let's make this happen!

Fignewbton
Recovery Runner

I agree!  I would love to be able to have an option that I can chose from my profile that will allow me to set when the silent alarm will vibrate.  There needs to be a way to program how long between alarms.  I need something that accomodates this type of work out:

- Sometimes I like to do an interval set of sprint 30s to 60s then recover for 60s.  

-Other times I'll go a couple notches less than a sprint  for 60-120s and then jog for 3mins.   

-sometimes it's sprint for 30s, run for 90s, fast jog for 90s, jog for 3mins, and then walk a minute. 

-sometimes it's straight 60s intervals of whatever.

I hope this makes a some sense and that it can be accomodated.

Thanks in advance, Fitbit!

Radarspy
Stepping Up

If the interval training feature was added to the Surge I would buy in a heartbeat.  Please add this functionality.  This would make (at least to me) the best fitness tracker.

falconpunch79
Jogger

I was thinking the same thing. Even the basic Garmin Forerunner has an interval setting. It would be great for cycling on the Surge.

Lambik2000
First Steps

This feature request gets my vote too.

Beginning runners like me always have workouts like : run-walk-run-walk-run...

Example : 11min run - 2min walk - 11min run - 2 min walk - 8min run - 1min walk.

Vibrating when next interval begins would be very helpful.

Don't understand why Surge doesn't support this feature yet.

Nursekatrn
First Steps

Are we getting any closer to getting our interval timer for the surge???? 

MotherRunnerMN
First Steps
An interval timer would be great on the Surge. I program my RunKerper app to do intervals currently, but would love to rely on a single device for all of my run tracking needs. I'd like the surge to be programmable for intervals and offer a means to differentiate between my intervals (ie two buzzes for a comfortable pace, four buzzes for a fast pace, etc).
Eric1975
Jogger

I don't really know about having it buzz necessarily, but the issue I have is when I run intervals, example:

Warm up: 1km jog followed by light warm ups (knees high, heel to butt etc) then start.  At this point I want to start my exercise on the Surge and have it run for:

Repeat 2 or 3 times the following:

8 x 200m at 70% 

1:30 rest 

6 x 200m at 80%

4 x 200m at 85-90%

2 x 200m at 95% of Max

3:00 rest

Currently I start a Run, and what happens is that the Surge takes my pace that I run and calculates my distance like when I go for an actual run, so it gives me false information, since I am taking short breaks between series, so it will register a run at times as if I did 9 minutes / KM when infact I run at a pace of 5'25" per KM.    

Or another example of interval training I run is on a 200m slope, 2 series of 8x200m at uphill at 100% VO2Max then walk down 1/2 way, jog down 1/2 way (repeat 8 times).  Break 3 minutes between series.

I have no method of telling my surge what I am actually doing. So either a Free Run and simply have false data, or do a generic workout and not have GPS info, pace etc.    The closest I think that might answer my needs that I will try next will be Lap workouts, where you can tell it when you start a new lap, not sure how that will work but I have to try it to see if it will do what I want.  The main issue is that when I pause a Free run, that pause is not calculated in the end result.  Hoping they come up with something awesome for intervals but I imagine it must not be a simple task.

Cheers all!  Happy training!

bruvark
First Steps

PLEASE add this! This is useful for high performance athletes, but also for people just getting started (like those doing the C25K program). While I really like the Surge, this has been the biggest letdown for me in switching from the Pebble. Almost tempted to switch back, sadly.

Quincychick
Jogger

It would be great if you could add an interval training program. Please!!

CloudedTurtle
Jogger

I have also thought that this would be a good idea. Adding an interval/tabata training timer where you could set an "active" and "rest" timer i.e.: 1min "Active" 10 sec "rest" and number of cycles (or a set amount of time: 30min) it would give a single buzz when the Active Cycle starts, and a double buzz when it stops/rest starts... Interaction could be simple, set the time/cycles in the app, use the button (I have a charge HR) to cycle to the mode, then Push and Hold button to start/stop cycle. This would be an awesome addition for this device! 

smurfette
First Steps

Please, please add this!  I'm considering buying another wrist device to vibrate at programmable intervals...when I already own a very expensive wrist device with a clock and vibrating capability!  Seems like it would be simple to add...?

JoanRTX
First Steps

I also didn't realize the Surge lacked the ability to do interval training.  Very disappointed in that. I actually purchased a used Garmin to see if it might like it better. i don't want to wear my Surge, switch to Garmin for interval training, then switch back. Please consider updating!

GatesForShort
Jogger

Note I LOVE my SURGE. I have been thinking of a feature that could maybe make it better. I'm just passing my idea along to see what happens.

Interval training timer: The owner would program thier interval routine on the app or web dashboard. Maybe the owner could program up to 5 interval routines. They could decide if they want the surge to vibrate (long or short) or beep (if that is even a possability). Sync to the surge. On the surge they would simply select the one thay wanted and press GO!

I would imagine that the existing workout timer would have to be running at the same time to collect all data.

A detail I will let you guys figure out.

And if this feature already exists please show me the way!
And call me stupid for not reading the manual

ma_reay
First Steps

If this feature exists also show me the way! Without it I have to run with my basic old timex watch that bleeps at me at the appropriate time. Can't believe this isn't a feature. Or is it???

ma_reay
First Steps

Surge needs an interval trainer, can't believe it doesn't have one.  Means I still need to run with my old Timex Ironman watch that has this basic feature. Love it otherwise!

GatesForShort
Jogger

To ma_reay please vote thumbs up (top left, next to the subject title) if you like the idea. I'd love to get as many thumbs up on this idea to see if it comes a reality.

Thanks

merlinball
Stepping Up
I agree, excellent idea.
GiveMeAClue
First Steps
I have been running for the past 15 plus years and gone through many Nike running watches. I like to run intervals - 5 minute warm-up, 30 second sprint, one minute jog, repeat 15 times, 5 minute cool down. Sometimes I would change the duration on the intervals. Nike watches had an interval timer you could set your number and duration of intervals and it would beep at each interval to tell you to sprint or jog. Would be great to have the Surge with this capability and vibrate at each interval.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.