Add Snow Shoveling as exercise shortcut

After spending the last four days shoveling, pushing cars out of snow drifts, etc pre:post snowzillia my FitBit Flex barely made a dent, with a exception of some elevated calories burned. I can tell you I felt physically exhausted each night. Much more so then working out at the gym or walking 6-8 miles. Would love to see some options such heavy snow shoveling be added. I fell strongly that my weekly report will be most inaccurate this week.

Moderator edit: added labels/Title for Clarity

215 Comments
DeviceIsUseless
First Steps

Add an option to sync devices from desktops.

tammyrey20
First Steps
I also agree. I spent almost 45 mins shoveling snow today and NO activity recorded for it and NO way to enter it. ....
Dfox65
First Steps
I would like snow shoveling added as well. I live in the northeast and shoveling can become a regular " workout" for me through the winter months. The only thing comparable I can log the activity under is mowing the lawn or gardening. Please also add housework. That also give a good amount of activity.
keldastar
Jogger

If you have the fitbit Surge you can log it as "workout" and can track the exercise.

Dfox65
First Steps
I have the charge HR Sent from my iPhone
Too2tuff
First Steps
I am a Premium User. I need to have snow shoveling added back in. We just got over six inches of the wet heavy stuff in Milwaukee, WI. Shoveling is more of a workout than shooting; and I do a lot of shooting as well.
OutdoorGirl04
First Steps

I agree with Too2tuff. If you're going to clean up the database, please take out shooting and add shoveling back in. It is a great workout (even when I'm going slow, I still work up a sweat). I currently use gardening (it is outside, after all), but I'd love to be able to appropriately label it.

robinwag
Jogger
I would love to be able to track snow shoveling as it is a big part of my winter life!
Craig
Distance Runner

I saw in another post where hey removed snow shoveling and have no plans of adding it back. Now personally that is garbage just because they never shovel snow in San Fransico does not mean it isn't an activity thatshould be there

Weikbrat
First Steps
How can hunting be an measurable activity but shoveling snow is not? ?
glendacom
First Steps

I know it's already been brought up but I just wanted to put my two-cents in. Why can't we log snow shoveling or snow blowing? Closest I could find was lawn mowing!

HRicks
Jogger

I completely agree with CBAlexandria! I was disappointed after spending over 10 hours between Friday and Monday shoveling snow. I live in Arlington, VA (DC area) and we get a few snow falls each year, having more "excercise" options would be very helpful.

renaynay
First Steps
Can you please add hot yoga to the exercise menu?
Claris
Jogger
I agree. I regularly spend an hour with my heart rate between fat burn and cardio in hot yoga yet my Fitbit registers no active time. Love my Fitbit - keep up the good work 👍🏻
jJR65
Recovery Runner
Yes, one can add snow skiing, snow shoeing( how many really do that?) and other activities, but there is no way to log SNOW SHOVELING! I think that there are far more of us who shovel snow that go snow shoeing!

ColDeb
Jogger

I Also Agree! Even some "day to day" chores. I am disabled and cleaning in of itself is "Active" for me. Vacuuming, scrubbing floors, walls, or maybe just something called "deep house cleaning", raking leaves, mowing lawn, etc. These are strenuous activites for many people, yet nothing that would register in our activity records. I'm sure there are also many jobs people have that involve stenuous activity that puts them into fat burn and/or cardio level activity. Maybe just a general job list to choose from, furniture movers, farmers, landscapers, concrete workers. Also sport activities, snowboarding, skiing, ice skating, roller skating, these are all things that are great added activities, but nothing we can monitor as of yet.

Thanks

Travelfunlearn
Stepping Up

I completely agree with ColDeb!!!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have been requesting this for over a year. FitBits only response (which I just noticed is posted directly under my orginal request above...) cited as an excuse for REMOVING snow shoveling to be something like, we removed it as a part of our continuing effort to clean-up the database. I own three FitBits. (a Flex, a Charge HR, and a Surge) I personally have gotten no less than twelve people to purchase FitBits. Several of these friends, including myself, were originally planning to purchase an Apple Watch. They all want snow shoveling back. I consider my FitBits to be a significant part of my health and fitness efforts. I cannot believe that FitBit is ignoring people with regard to adding snow shoveling! Really! It's a no brainer. Snow shoveling is one of the most strenuous winter activities that many people experience. When one considers some of the activities that are in the activities database, it is absolutely dumbfounding to me that snow shoveling cannot and has not been added...we're getting six more inches of snow tonight!

DSchweiger
First Steps
Would it be possible to add Tai Chi?
Gzeimet
First Steps
I like the household choirs, shoveling, etc. could you also add cardio drumming? Thanks:)
moreteaplease
Jogger

Def need to add more different exercises.  myfitnesspal has absolutely loads, including shoveling snow.

Stuff like vacuuming should def be added, esp. if you're using an upright!!

It's also completely bonkers that things like sit-ups, push-ups, lunges, squats, etc aren't in there.  The activity logger is very disappointing.

Angiexpangie
First Steps
Yeah.agree with all the above mentioned. Definitely need more variety of activities and exercise. Cleaning, gardening. Power walking. Strength training. Please consider adding. Thank you
Lushbaby
First Steps

I love using my Fitbit app and how it tracks exercises.  I like to do other kinds of exercises on a machine, but unfortunately it only tracks elliptical, walk, run, outdoor bike and aerobics.  It would be nice if the app also tracks rowing, indoor bike (such as spinning).  Hopefully the developers will look into the idea and make it happen!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

I agree, it would be great to have more exercise options to log in the Dashboard. Thanks for your suggestion.

Baileychristine
First Steps
I think there should be more exercise options like crunches, mountain climbers, ect. You would enter in the exercise that you have done, and how many. The app or website would then add the calories to the calories you have burned.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.