Add Snow Shoveling as exercise shortcut

After spending the last four days shoveling, pushing cars out of snow drifts, etc pre:post snowzillia my FitBit Flex barely made a dent, with a exception of some elevated calories burned. I can tell you I felt physically exhausted each night. Much more so then working out at the gym or walking 6-8 miles. Would love to see some options such heavy snow shoveling be added. I fell strongly that my weekly report will be most inaccurate this week.

Moderator edit: added labels/Title for Clarity

215 Comments
Fuji
First Steps
The new activities mapping and logging is great! Could we add stand up paddle boarding/kayaking/canoeing to it? I used the feature to map my SUP outing on Lake Tahoe and was able to see how many miles I paddled for the first time! But the pace and calorie counts were probably off since the app thought I was walking (on water).
leftcoasthapa
Stepping Up

Please add SUP -stand up paddle boarding as an activity that can be logged.  I have been adding 'paddle boating' just to keep track of the time on the board but the activity levels are very different!

loriswest
Jogger

I 2nd this, I was adding it as kayaking. I track it with MapMyFitness now and add as a custom activity based on the MMF info. I think SUP is more work than paddle boating or kayaking.

jaxscams
First Steps

I have a fitbit flex and absolutely love it!!  It has made many great changes in my life.  I would like the development team to think about putting snow shoveling as an exercise.  I live in South Buffalo, New York and just finishing living through a historic snow event.  We received 6 feet of snow in two days.  I have spent the last six days shoveling from morning till night.  I feel that this would be a great addition to your exercise selection.  Please let me know if you guys have ever had this request before.  On a good note, because of my commitment to the fitbit, I managed to walk my 10,000+ steps each day during the storm.  Thanks for a great product!

Sev123
Recovery Runner

Hi,

I had to check this out because I added shoveling quite a bit last winter : ( 

The good news (or bad) is that shoveling snow still shows as an activity you can add.  Search for shoveling under log activity.

DaisyF
Jogger

Me too! I'm gett ready to buy a SUP. I went out and tried a few today and wanted to log it.

jalama
First Steps

I can't find shoveling in the exercise log, if I type "shov" the results all disappear

Mg70094
First Steps
please add shoveling snow as an exercise that can be tracked. I do see mowing the lawn on there but as a Canadian I spend way more energy shoveling the snow as I have for already three hours today.
heatherdpear
Recovery Runner

my research shows that my average shovelling burns 50 calories per 10 minutes.  Of course this varies widely with intensity.

MrXiro
Strider

You could just go with the general "workout" mode... the only big difference between all the modes is the name and whether or not GPS is on or Off.

Kabaum
First Steps
I'd love to see SNOW SHOVELING or SNOW/ICE REMOVAL as an exercise to log.

Right now I use the LAWN MOWING log entry, but I think snow shoveling is harder.
VS776
Jogger

I agree and sent Fitbit the suggestion as we just got 3 feet of snow. Online I found 1 hour = 280 calories which seems low but that's what I used to create a custom activity

@Mg70094 wrote:
please add shoveling snow as an exercise that can be tracked. I do see mowing the lawn on there but as a Canadian I spend way more energy shoveling the snow as I have for already three hours today.

Mg70094
First Steps
I didn't know you could create custom activities. PCs. This be done in the iOS app?
Track_Exercise
First Steps
There are lots of people in the country that have the misfortune of shoveling snow for long periods of time after a storm. It would be nice to have SNOW SHOVELING and SNOW BLOWING as exercises.
jumpyg
Base Runner

Yes, snow shoveling can be a great workout!

Debbie3
Base Runner

What is "snow blowing"? Curious minds need to know.

Track_Exercise
First Steps
Some people use snow blowers to clear walkways and driveways. You walk behind them like a lawn mower and it takes tremendous effort.

Sent from my iPhone
SueinMaine
First Steps
How can "Shooting" be considered a trackable exercise, but snow shoveling is not??? I shoved over 31 inches of snow for an hour and my Fitbit showed 1/4 mile in steps! Please add as an exercise option!
LZeeW
Ultramarathon Racer

Shoveling snow used to be on the trackable exercise list.  Fitbit -- you need to return this to the activity list -- along with others you took down in the activity list purge you did.  Stationary bike also disappeared, among others.

Seeleck
First Steps

I know not everyone has a Surge but, with the surge you can track a generic "workout". That might satisfy you until Fitbit decides to bring some features back.

SueinMaine
First Steps
Flex does not have that option and how would it know what to register for activity for "workout?"

Sent from my iPhone
amotter
Jogger

I'd like to see the full activity list back. I Really want to be able to track other activities besides just exercise.  Thanks.

Bbp1028
First Steps
For those of us who shovel snow, it is a workout! Please add that and recumbent bike to the workout list.
DaisyFields
Jogger

I live on a farm and really miss the old activity list that had a lot of everyday activities. Now everything has to be created, which means going on one of FitBit's competitor websites to get the calories to enter them into this system. This is frustrating.

DaisyFields
Jogger

It used to be on the old list... a number of us have requested that the old list come back, but it is scattered across a lot of suggestions.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.