Add enable/disable 'Overcharge Protection' option on Fitbit devices

Add a feature that prevents overchargeing in fitbit versa 2, versa series and on all fitbit watches if possible. So in the fitbit mobile app (or watch setting) Allow the user to enable/disable overcharge protection, use fitbit recommended battery percentage (uses less cycles in the battery and generally last good) for battery protection.

10 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Extra: The feature can be disabled or enabled in settings of fitbit versa watch, when user is setting up watch it will ask if they want to enable overcharge protection or not, if enabled by defalut it prevents the watch to be charged after 85% (that's for phones however I'm not sure for the watch but pick a amount that makes it has the less cycles and last good)

Guy_
Space Racer

Hi @SunsetRunner - there is builtin protection in the watch against over charging, so it's not needed.

The charging current is reduced to zero when it's at 100%, so it stops charging, unless there is a watch fault.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

No there isn't built-in overcharge protection, I've contacted many customers service agents and they said there isn't and if you charge your watch above 100% it's bad for your battery and even for my watch it still charges after 100%

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Overcharge-Protection-on-versa-series/idc-p/5250...

Guy_
Space Racer

@SunsetRunner - that's just a myth.

Those batteries would explode without overcharge protection

They use constant current to charge based on their level of charge. Once the battery is charged fully it has to stop charging.

Leaving a battery in a fully charged state is something else.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

There's been people who forgot they left they watch charging then 3 days later it no longer works, a person who saw many people who left they fitbit charging for a week then no longer working https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Other-Charge-Trackers/Left-for-holiday-and-forgot-Fitbit-left-chargi...

Topics/Extra Sources:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Other-Versa-Smartwatches/Versa-won-t-turn-on/m-p/2775326

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Other-Charge-Trackers/I-overcharged-the-Fitbit-and-now-it-does-not-w...

(I'm too lazy to add more)

Also most likely battery's won't explode, it would damage the battery if overcharged

Guy_
Space Racer

@SunsetRunner- most people wear their watches, it's useful for telling the time and measuring stats.

They may only leave it on charge in the hope that it will work, which of course it doesn't generally.

An already broken watch has nothing to do with overcharging, no matter how much that is the conclusion.

In any case unfortunately nothing is going to change with Versa / Sense watches.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Theres been hundreds of people saying they left their watch charge for more than 24 hours then it no longer works, people who just bought they watch not broken then forgot they left it charging then no longer working

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That's all I'm going to post for now, there's more people but as said I'm too lazy to link them all cuz it would take a lot of time, I generally don't think there's overcharge protection, there's been one person i know in real life who had a fitbit as well then they forgot they left their fitbit charging for more than 48 hours then it no longer works, I'm not telling their personnel information obviously but their watch was about 2 weeks old without any major problems with the watch and more.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding enable/disable 'Overcharge Protection' option on Fitbit devices. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

You might be also interested in these other suggestions:

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.